Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norby

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Emporia, Kansas
It's been interesting seeing posts about, "How long did it take you to quit?" and seeing answers like "I quit analogs the first day." I didn't understand that, because it hasn't been that way for me at all.

I started with a GreenSmoke kit just over a year ago. I wasn't impressed, and got a refund. Shortly after that, I bought a M-401 kit and some juice. I liked the idea, but got frustrated with it. I had inconsistent vapor production, problems with flooding, leaking, running out. So I kinda gave up on it.

This month, I decided to try it again. The idea was simply to cut down on analogs to save money. After all, I already had the PV and accessories, and 90ml of various juices. So far this month, I had cut down from a pack a day to 7 or so cigarettes per day. But it's been a struggle, because for some reason I still get cravings for analogs, even though I prefer the taste of the PV.

But now, out of the blue, I only had 1 analog yesterday. And none so far today. I just haven't wanted any. I think maybe it's because I finally got issues like cart juice levels figured out so I'm getting good vapor and flavor without sucking a lot of juice.

I didn't really set out to quit, but the way things are going, it just might work out that way. Although tonight our band plays at a local bar, so we'll see how that plays out.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Norby some people are not only addicted to nicotene , but they are also addicted to the other things in tobacco. This makes it much more difficult to make the switch to vaping.
It takes a little while for the body to release all those other things, until it does you can still crave tobacco.
It depends on the person, a lot of people just dont have the addiction to the other things in tobacco and so make the switch more easily.

If you can get past the initial withdrawel from all the other stuff you should be fine.

Hey welcome to the forum, there is a ton of information here and very good people.
Read a lot and come often!
Good luck with your vaping journey:)

stover.p

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Don't worry about how many you DO smoke be proud of the ones you DON'T! Everyone reacts differently to vapeing and there is no right or wrong way. Just do what works for you. At some point your body will tell you "Hey, this analog it horrible" and if it doesn't, you're still lighting up less analogs. That's the point anyway........right? I've only been vaping fulltime for 2 weeks. The other day I just "had" to have an analog. I bought an entire pack, started smokeing and got really sick. That's how my body told me I was over ananlogs. Your body will tell you went it's ready for you to quit entirely. If it doesn't, it's still less than when you before you started vapeing. Don't get discouraged! Hang in there and read, read, read and ask, ask, ask! This forum is my version of an AA meeting if I was an alcoholic :)

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
When you want a analog....do this- Load up with the strongest liquid you have and chain vape until the craving passes. It works....get yourself some 26mg or 36 mg just for these occasions. Keep it up, you are doing great!

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Da Bullet: In my noob opinion you probably need either one of two things to finally quit the analogs (since that's your goal):

*higher mg nic juice (For example, I use 24mg and I wasn't a heavy smoker)
*supplement with snus for a while

Good Luck!

verruckt

Mar 29, 2010
Cincinnati
I started two weeks ago and I've gone back and forth with the analogs. I had it in my head that I was not going to "try" and quit smoking, at least not at first. I bought my kit as an experiment. Although, I spent all my cigarette money for the two weeks on the kit, so it was vaping or nothing. (Ofcourse I found money for more cigarettes.)

The first weekend, I only had a couple of cigarettes, and they were more of a test to see how they compared to different flavors I had. Then I went out drinking on Tuesday, ending up smoking almost a whole pack. Felt like crap the next day and didn't have an analog for 3 whole days. Just didn't fell like it. Then I drank again, and smoked more, but kept it to a reasonable level, which left me with a half a pack that I made last a few more days.

Now I have a pack, but it's not in my pocket. I leave it at home and it's there if I really want it. I make it through the work day just fine with my pv. When I get home, the very high nic level I have keeps me from hitting it a lot as it makes me dizzy (I have lower nic level and 0mg to cut with coming today) so I tend to have a few at night.

I do want to quit completely, but I don't want to have to fight with myself over it, so for now. I am letting myself pretty much do what I want. Most of the time I prefer the pv, but once and a while I want a smoke. I guess 4 packs in two weeks is a good start though.

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
Yeah it's weird, I think different peoples rates of success have to do with how sick of smoking they are and their ability to get into the hobby aspect of vaping and keep fooling around with the hardware and software aspects until they hit what is right for them.

The other problem is you still detox and go through withdrawl symptoms since the nicotine seems to be a very small aspect to withdrawl in comparason to the rest of the stuff you are not getting when you quit.

After I discovered I liked vaping and could deal with the technical problems that crop up I went to 36mg for a few weeks then started dropping my nic level back down and that seemed to help along with increasing my water intake.

The other thing you should keep in mind is to not give a damn if you quit or not, if you are worried about it it just becomes this big thing and all that does is decrease your quality of life by bumming you out and getting in the way of what you are accomplishing.

Vape when you want, smoke when you want, whatever, it makes no difference in the long run, all I wanted to do was to go from 2.5 to 3 packs a day down to 1 or 2 packs a day and ended quiting altogether after the 1st week. So try just not worrying about it at all and see how that works out for you.

Ostracized

Mar 31, 2010
San Antonio
Norby, being one of those that quit on the first day I will say this. Everyone is different and this is not a contest. Feel proud of yourself for cutting back, its still hard to do. But now is the time to not turn back. When you find the taste just awful of analogs that is when you can quit. I never liked the taste but got addicted to the use of the cig. Something to do with my hands and mouth... more then the taste. So it was easy to replace the mental addiction with a good flavor item so I could fight off the physical addiction to the tar and all the other crud in analogs.

If you vape and stop just 1 cig a day... its still a great thing. But once you are past the next week without cigs... you are in fantastic shape to be an ex smoker if you want to be.

Norby

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Emporia, Kansas
The other thing you should keep in mind is to not give a damn if you quit or not, if you are worried about it it just becomes this big thing and all that does is decrease your quality of life by bumming you out and getting in the way of what you are accomplishing.

That's exactly what's so cool about this. I never really set out to quit, I just haven't wanted any analogs lately. Although another change I have made is in my habits. I'm vaping at my desk at work now, because if I'd go outside, I'd almost always grab an analog instead.

All of my juice is 24 mg. Every once in a while I wonder if I'm vaping too much, but I'm not getting dizzy, or nauseous. I just feel a little off sometimes. I suppose it could also just be me detoxing. I'm not too worried about it.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
That's exactly what's so cool about this. I never really set out to quit, I just haven't wanted any analogs lately. Although another change I have made is in my habits. I'm vaping at my desk at work now, because if I'd go outside, I'd almost always grab an analog instead.

All of my juice is 24 mg. Every once in a while I wonder if I'm vaping too much, but I'm not getting dizzy, or nauseous. I just feel a little off sometimes. I suppose it could also just be me detoxing. I'm not too worried about it.

Cool! So you just need to get used to it enough to enjoy it more often than not. The analogs will stop on their own eventually, if you want them to (and sometimes they stop when you're not really paying attention anymore:p)

Norby

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Emporia, Kansas
When you find the taste just awful of analogs that is when you can quit.

I've already noticed how they taste, "Like an ashtray".

I think the big epiphany was right after having an analog outside at home one day, I noticed the smell on my hands. I remarked on it to my non-smoking wife, and asked, "Do I always smell like that?" She of course said yes, and that was quite a turning point for me.

7thCabal

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
808state

Sounds like you're on the right track-- keep on vaping!:thumb:

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forum!

What I discovered when I quit analogs was that it was not the nicotine that had me hooked. I was associating smoking an analog with relaxation.

I work in the computer field and so that means that I spend a lot of time staring at a screen. To save my eyes and sanity I would take breaks every so often and of course some of those breaks were smoke breaks. My neck and shoulders would get really tense and while I was outside smoking I could feel myself relax and becoming looser.

Now that I have quit smoking and I vape at my desk all day, I have never again experienced the tension in my neck and shoulders.

P.S. Get yourself a decent setup like a 510 and stop buying junk!

Last edited:

Norby

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Emporia, Kansas
P.S. Get yourself a secent setup like a 510 and stop buying junk!

I have been considering a 510, but for now my M-40x stuff is working very well. I like that the 402 is very compact, and with the PCC I can carry a day's supply of stuff with me. And I haven't even done any cart mods or drip or dip or any of that stuff. I just finally figured out the right amount of juice to put in there.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Your story, though very cool, is not completely unique. The lady that sold me my first kit told me that she started vaping so she could smoke MORE. She's a tournament poker player and couldn't smoke at some of the tables but they would let her vape. After a couple of months she noticed that she still had the same pack of smokes for a couple weeks (she was a 2 pack a day smoker) so she said to hell with it and threw them away. Hasn't smoked since. This is such an awesome thing.

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
I've already noticed how they taste, "Like an ashtray".

I think the big epiphany was right after having an analog outside at home one day, I noticed the smell on my hands. I remarked on it to my non-smoking wife, and asked, "Do I always smell like that?" She of course said yes, and that was quite a turning point for me.
That was a big one for me too, I always knew I stunk up the place and shortly after I quit my gf said I smelled like candy and I really liked the thought of that.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I got myself a PSE901 setup and was able to go from a pack and a half to 4 or 5 the first day and the next 2 days. Couldn't get down to none though. I was unhappy with the inconsistent vapor, taste and throat hit. Which puzzled me since there are plenty of people who like the 901. Then I stumbled on a comment about 'the straw mod' and the whole thing was wonderful. Those silly little straws changed me vaping experience. Consistent (or mostly so) vapor, taste and throat hit. Once I mod'ed a few cartridges and had everything working nice I stopped feeling the need for an analog. Only been 4 days now without and I get the occasional craving but its not a "I NEED A CIG" feeling but more of a "wonder if I want to smoke an analog" feeling which passes after a few vap hits.

I too work at a computer and in general find there's a mental link for me with relaxing and smoking. Once I got the vaping experience consistent with that straw mod I could just take a break and a half dozen puffs and feel relaxed.

So my advice, look at the mods for cartridges to make the vaping consistent. Once you get that you'll not need analogs. And like others have said don't dwell on the "I'm quitting" thought and just look at it as reducing how many analogs you smoke. Then if you have an urge just vape if it isn't too strong. Bet you'll find you're at the point where you always decide to vape and not smoke an analog before you know it.

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
Your story, though very cool, is not completely unique. The lady that sold me my first kit told me that she started vaping so she could smoke MORE. She's a tournament poker player and couldn't smoke at some of the tables but they would let her vape. After a couple of months she noticed that she still had the same pack of smokes for a couple weeks (she was a 2 pack a day smoker) so she said to hell with it and threw them away. Hasn't smoked since. This is such an awesome thing.

I was vaping and smoking at the same time also. It got to the point where all I could smoke was a 1/4 of an analog before I had to put it out because I was hating the taste and missing the yummy flavors of my E-liquids!

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have been considering a 510, but for now my M-40x stuff is working very well. I like that the 402 is very compact, and with the PCC I can carry a day's supply of stuff with me. And I haven't even done any cart mods or drip or dip or any of that stuff. I just finally figured out the right amount of juice to put in there.

Well, the thing that counts is that you are enjoying it and not getting frustrated because it it not working well.

Just don't become like me, 70+ mods and counting:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread