GP Series by VapourArt - Official Thread for GP Spheroid, GP PAPS, X, GP Piccolo, GP SnP and more - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
Are you using the Delrin insulator in the switch that was released with the GP Paps X 1.5? I was getting misfires with mine when using the Delrin insulator. First I removed it, which solved the problem. Later, I sanded it a bit to make sure the negative pin had enough clearance to make contact with the battery regardless of where I pressed the button. It's working flawlessly now.

Yes, I am using the insulator. I'll pop it out in a little bit and give that a test period to see if that works. Thanks!

..Sent from the vape lair..

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
I wouldn't be able to not have a backup… you're a brave man.

I did at one point. I let a "friend" borrow one because his broke at a fault not of his own. He moved about 5 hours away a month ago, took my mod with him, and won't return my calls or anything. Still mad about that one.

My other backup is my wife's now, and there would be no way to "share" until my X got back with my work and such. I gave it to her when she started vaping around 6 months ago.

Hrathor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Canton, MI
So, as I await my new v3 and Heron, I'd appreciate three bits of advice from those of you who've been around the block.

First, to make my first experience as painless and fruitful as possible, which Heron build do you suggest I start with? I've seen a number of them discussed and don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Second, since I can't use the Provari to test the Heron coil resistance and for shorting, it looks as if I have to spring for a multi-meter. Are there any reasonably inexpensive ones which I should consider or steer away from?

Last, I didn't notice it on VapourArt, but the Heron does come with all the accessories to set it up, doesn't it?

thanks folks.
The simple loop wick that's commonly done on the Spheroid is easy and fast.
I picked this up at Walmart for less than $20... Equus - Products - 3300 Hands-Free
You will have everything you need to build on it.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
Okay, update on my switch that I'm sure you're all tired of reading about by now lol...

I took the insulator out and that solved any misfires I was having. I'll sand a slight layer off the insulator later and replace it. I'm sure that's the issue now. So that's one problem down! :)

I also replaced my spring with another of the 3 (the softest strength one), and left the locking nut a little loose as Idaho suggested again. Idk if it was a combination of the two or what or why the clicking was happening....but its gone now.

My switch is back to the way I remember. Smooth as silk and fires every time by pressing anywhere on the button.

I'm going to try to replicate the problem so I know exactly what was going on, and which part it was causing the issue. I don't like solving things and not knowing why they were solved lol.

Thanks for all the input and patience guys!

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
My heron comes tomorrow... Hopefully it sticks to the schedule date (had 2 pieces of vape mail that were never delivered yesterday). I've been reading up on that tips and tricks thread of P's so I have a good idea what I need to do. But has anyone made a video of builds?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
So, as I await my new v3 and Heron, I'd appreciate three bits of advice from those of you who've been around the block.

First, to make my first experience as painless and fruitful as possible, which Heron build do you suggest I start with? I've seen a number of them discussed and don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Second, since I can't use the Provari to test the Heron coil resistance and for shorting, it looks as if I have to spring for a multi-meter. Are there any reasonably inexpensive ones which I should consider or steer away from?

Last, I didn't notice it on VapourArt, but the Heron does come with all the accessories to set it up, doesn't it?

thanks folks.

Yes, it comes with everything you need to get the Heron built. :) However, you may need to supply your own wire for coiling if your preference is not the Kanthal ribbon wire that is included.

I haven't used the wire that came with it, yet, simply because I have never built a coil with Kanthal ribbon wire. I went with what I knew and, basically, what worked for me in my Spheroid (standard Kanthal wire mini coil and PnC yarn).

I haven't tried anything new coil builds yet simply because this is my primary, all-day atty and I can't live without it. I will tinker with it a bit more when my second deck arrives...

Are far as multimeter goes, I think it's hard to find a really bad one simply for reading resistance. Just make sure you get a digital one that can display single-digit ohm readings to an accuracy of at least one decimal place. I have a cheap Radio Shack one that does the trick.

First build... that's hard without knowing anything about your wick/wire preferences. I would go with a single-loop build (think one rabbit ear) with the loop as long as the deck. Where you use silica vs cotton, or regular vs microcoil is kind of a hard decision. My first recommendation is normal kanthal wrap around a doubled-up silica strand for simplicity's sake...

Last edited:

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I basically use the same build as shown in the first build in http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530491

Except my coil is built with 6/7 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal around a 2.4mm screwdriver. It comes in at 1.8 ohms and settles in around 1.9 ohms. I've been using this coil for a week. my next build will probably be with 28 gauge and aiming for about 1.5 ohms.

Idaholandho

Gone Fishin'
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Reading Naked
WjFLi0Y.jpg

LReyes66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
United States
Damn... Brb ordering lux tubes

I ended up selling my copper stingray for double what it was worth which unfortunately happens after vapourday :(. Also ordered a multimeter on amazon but won't get here til Wednesday and my heron comes in tomorrow. Guess ima have to use a spare RDA to measure the coil ohms for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I don't have yarn, so I'll stick with the silica which comes with it. And think I'll start with the single loop you mentioned. I've never used ribbon wire before. In all the videos and pictorial builds I just looked at, they all seem to use regular wire. I have kanthal28g. Can anyone tell me what number of wraps to use and do I need to wrap the silica differently? Or should I just use my kanthal.
One other question: I like a warm, but not hot vape, with good vapor, but not big throat hit; what would you suggest for the Heron. Or is it more the height off the deck, rather than the coil build itself?

Just got the multimeter at Walmart.
I basically use the same build as shown in the first build in GP-Heron : Setup Pictorial √

Except my coil is built with 6/7 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal around a 2.4mm screwdriver. It comes in at 1.8 ohms and settles in around 1.9 ohms. I've been using this coil for a week. my next build will probably be with 28 gauge and aiming for about 1.5 ohms.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
I don't have yarn, so I'll stick with the silica which comes with it. And think I'll start with the single loop you mentioned. I've never used ribbon wire before. In all the videos and pictorial builds I just looked at, they all seem to use regular wire. I have kanthal28g. Can anyone tell me what number of wraps to use and do I need to wrap the silica differently? Or should I just use my kanthal.
One other question: I like a warm, but not hot vape, with good vapor, but not big throat hit; what would you suggest for the Heron. Or is it more the height off the deck, rather than the coil build itself?

Just got the multimeter at Walmart.

If you would like to try yarn, shoot me a PM. I'll send as much as you'd like. I have way too much lol.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I'm running the same dual coils till now in the Heron but switched the S'n'C yarn with *Cotton Ball/s. Two wick-tails popping out from the same opening on the Chamber Lid ~ holds on well and performs gr8

Attachments

• Heron Cotton wicks Closeup.jpg
    Heron Cotton wicks Closeup.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread