TUTORIAL: heat coloring your mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
So last night I was restless and wanted to modify my cool (but average) mixed nemesis clone, I had seen pictures of custom mods that had their colors changed by using heat.
I searched and searched and couldnt find anything really explaining how to do it or showing how to do it. I saw people talking about sticking it in the oven at 550 degrees but not really getting much color change. I figured i could use a propane torch to achieve some good color, so this morning I gave it a shot and took some pictures for anyone interested in doing it. I found it to be extremely easy! i was done within a couple of minutes, im sure I could have gone longer but I stopped when I liked the look of the color.

I'll start off with the end result, the pictures do not do the colors justice. it looks amazing in the dark and even better in the light! like I said this was only about 2 minutes of using the torch and my first time. I went for the blueish top and bottom with the purple in the middle, and I dont think I did too bad of a job! I was very surprised at how fast the colors changed. I was slightly worried about threads warping but it screws together like new.
IMG_8462.jpg

This is the "device" I used to hold my tube. Worked like a charm! I cut the bottom of a clothes hanger and then a few inches up the side, sliding the tube onto this little V held it very secure. I was able to hold the clothes hanger with my bare hands and it never heated up to the point where i couldnt hold onto the clothes hanger, it stayed surprisingly cool actually.
IMG_8458.jpg

I used this propane torch, I already had this but you can purchase them for 5 bucks at a hardware store.
IMG_8461.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS: ALWAYS DO THIS OUTSIDE FUMES DID COME OFF MY TUBE WHILE HEATING. Fill up a mason jar or glass cup with cold water and some ice and set it aside. Hold clothes hanger in one hand and torch in the other. When the torch is on the blue tips right near the nozzle are the hottest points, I held these blue tips basically right on the tube. Slowly spin the tube and try to keep the torch steady. As I mentioned the color change happens relatively fast so keep a close eye on the colors. Ill attach a color chart so you can see how the colors change. Once you are happy with the colors dip the tube right into the ice water, this cools it off instantly then you can see how it looks. The colors look better before you cool it off, So you may need to repeat the process to get the colors you want to achieve. This is a very easy process and makes for a cool looking mod IMO. I had fun doing this and im sure ill do more in the future and get better at it.

This shows how to color of steel changes with different amounts of heat, use this as a reference so you know what colors coming next or if you want to stop the heating.
Temperature-color-chart-large.jpg

WARNING: I shouldnt need to say this since it is an adult forum but BE CAREFUL! you are obviously working with very hot metals, take precautions! I am not responsible for damages to you or your equipment, do this at your own risk!
I'm sure their are different ways of doing this but this is how I did it and my results. If you have another method please post! If youve done this before post your mods I would love to see them! Again be safe and get creative!

Last edited:

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
I've been wanting to do this to my Nemesis clone also, might have to do it over the weekend. We'll see if I muster up the courage to do it. I'm also wanting to patina my brass origin, I've seen some beautiful patina copper and brass mods lately.

I'de say go for it! like i mentioned it was alot easier than I was expecting, I didnt think it would be hard but I thought it would take longer. Pretty simple :) I also had some worries about the threads but it did no harm at all, my locking ring almost spins better now. Also i believe the patina on copper and brass mods is just from normal use without shining it back up! imo it looks awesome when it gets the patina, thats sorta the look I was going for with my SS

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
UPDATE!! Ok I couldnt resist going back for a little more, decided to get a little more blue into the tube and also do the switch! couldnt resist not doing the switch and it looks great :)

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

it may be hard to tell in the picture, but i left the base of the switch down the whole time. it gave it a very cool gold fade!

very happy with how this turned out! I have carbon fiber vinyl in the mail (i was expecting it today) but I am going to wrap the metal on the aerotank with it, should turn out pretty cool!

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
I did a cheap $20 JM mod from fasttech with my torch. Surprisingly easy and fast!
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1158394/4635451/408856945.jpg[IMG]

That chart is exactly what happened, on the right, bottom to top. I kept the heat going on the top of the 18650 tube to get that pretty light blue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting yours, looks great! and thats what im saying its really an easy process! honestly my lock ring is smoother now it doesnt get stuck as easy when fully spun, so another + :)

[quote="Timbuck55, post: 12676534"]Very nice! Now I have something to do this weekend lol. I wonder if the little hand torch I have will work.

Read that my little hand torch goes up to 2400 degrees. Should work just fine.[/QUOTE]

thanks! honestly it might be easier with the smaller torch. mine has 3 blue tips coming out of the nozzle and im assuming yours would have 1. making it easier to really fine tune the colors you want. good luck and post when its done!

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
Thanks for posting yours, looks great! and thats what im saying its really an easy process! honestly my lock ring is smoother now it doesnt get stuck as easy when fully spun, so another + :)

thanks! honestly it might be easier with the smaller torch. mine has 3 blue tips coming out of the nozzle and im assuming yours would have 1. making it easier to really fine tune the colors you want. good luck and post when its done!

Will do thanks!

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
I am definitely going to try heat treating my Magneto tonight. The stainless steal looks cool but some color will definitely give it some character. :)

thats how i felt, post pictures when its done!

Ya my torch def didn't work. I used a clothes hanger too but it burnt off on the inside of my nemmy

ut oh, was there a coating on the hanger? thats a good point to burn the hanger before using it. hopefully it didnt ruin it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread