Nature's Flavors question about a milky white flavor called Custard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Hi everyone:)

I've been buying lots of DIY Nature's Flavors lately because I'm liking the alcohol based choices. (PG-based flavors were/are giving me problems, but I'm still working on that.) (I like the shrink wrapping BTW, no leaking yay:))

This week in my order I received a new bottle of NF Custard. It looks like milk with a grainy texture. I mixed some up (4 drops from the handy dropper bottles that these come in) into a 2ml batch of my nix base. (I usually do start with about 4 drops in 2ml low nic base to get a feel for single flavors then add a drop or 2 in the next few days if not strong enough.)

It's cloudy, pale white. Tastes like lightly sweetened milk. I'm a bit baffled because I could swear I've bought custard before and it was pale yellow yet clear ("see through" clarity no cloudiness). In the past, when mixed with nic base, the liquid is still clear and I can see through the clear bottle (the glass bottles that I use are clear because I like to see my mix colors change or not as they mature.) Some flavors turn a bit orange to dark brown as I've learned happens anyway. I'll assume the exposure to light, and the nic causes the darkening as well as the flavors, but it doesn't matter in either case. Up until now, all my mixes have been clear and not cloudy or grainy).

Does NF Custard taste like milk? Is it supposed to be thick, grainy, white milk looking liquid? Should there be an egg type note? Butter note? Should it be yellowish like a true custard or pale white?

Any input on this will be appreciated very much. TIA

linnx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Washington USA
www.ecigexpress.com
We've looked into your question, and our stock of Custard is milky white in color. However, the solution separates, and the top layer is somewhat yellowish in color. We will contact the manufacturer and find out the history of this flavor to see if they made any changes to their recipe.

Thanks.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
We've looked into your question, and our stock of Custard is milky white in color. However, the solution separates, and the top layer is somewhat yellowish in color. We will contact the manufacturer and find out the history of this flavor to see if they made any changes to their recipe.

Thanks.

thanks linnx:)

Edit: I don't know the history as I've only been using NF for about 18 months? I contacted NF as well. They tell me that the white color and grainy texture (which I've never seen previously in any flavor before a few days ago) is because it got too cold somehow. That these flavors are supposed to stay at room temp without being subject to cold weather or refrigeration. NF flavors that I've purchased previously were clear to slightly yellow tint, and never looked like milk.

Last edited:

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
thanks linnx:)

Edit: I don't know the history as I've only been using NF for about 18 months? I contacted NF as well. They tell me that the white color and grainy texture (which I've never seen previously in any flavor before a few days ago) is because it got too cold somehow. That these flavors are supposed to stay at room temp without being subject to cold weather or refrigeration. NF flavors that I've purchased previously were clear to slightly yellow tint, and never looked like milk.

Their response is somewhat odd because the same situation exists with their Danish Pastry extract which I purchased about 3 weeks ago, and I can assure you that mine has not been exposed to any "cold weather or refrigeration" since I received it. After shaking the bottle, the separation will continue after a few hours. I haven't mixed any yet because I'm still experimenting with a ton of other flavors which I've recently purchased, but my guess is that this sort of separation/settling is normal for some creamy-type extracts like these specifically. Other similar type flavorings such as Cheesecake or Dulce De Leche don't seem to be affected. I recently ordered some Creme Brulee which should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday, so it will be interesting to see if any separation exists with that flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread