Is there another cosmetic for SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kr3wsk8er

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2014
SB/LA 808-213
Light interface coloring I know can be done to stainless steel, although I have never seen it done to any mods. To my knowledge it is similar to anodizing aluminum, it is done using a electrochemical bath. And produces a controlled corrosion to the steel. I could not find to much info via google, but again I have heard of its uses for constructing and architecture purposes. So I do not see why its not applicable here. My advice if you are looking for a decent cosmetic change for your mod, if you can find a aluminum clone of whatever piece you are trying to color, have that anodized.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
I am looking into CERAKOTE. It is a very thin backed on finish used for guns. It is available in a wide variety of colors. However, it is NOT a do it yourself project. Their instructions include soaking in degreaser, sand blasting, baking to get oil out, mixing color with hardener, spraying parts, and baking on finish.

A store near me does it and I am trying to get a price to coat a mod.

Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Texas, USA
Is there another cmcosmetic for SS besides torching and brushing? Something like a chemical reaction

I brush stainless and it comes out very nice. I use a 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and I slide the device in the same direction until it is all uniform. Or sometimes I take already brushed parts and sand them with 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper and buff them on my polishing wheel. This can be done for copper, brass, and stainless yielding great results. The only other acidic chemical reaction would be to blue stainless steel with gun bluing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread