So...What's the Skinny on Rebuildables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Alright, so I think I'm finally ready to move up into the world of rebuildables and I'm thinking about getting this Kayfun because I've been getting really frustrated with my Protank/Aspire coils and tank systems. Now, I have a super basic knowledge about how these things work (basic meaning that I occasionally replace my wicks with cotton, I don't rebuild the coils or anything, just swap old wicks out until the coil gets super old and then I throw them out) but I was wondering what kind of resources everyone used to make this switch. Are there any really good resources (text posts, youtube videos, channels etc) I should check out to increase my knowledge on how to use these things before I dive in?

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Alright, so I think I'm finally ready to move up into the world of rebuildables and I'm thinking about getting this Kayfun because I've been getting really frustrated with my Protank/Aspire coils and tank systems. Now, I have a super basic knowledge about how these things work (basic meaning that I occasionally replace my wicks with cotton, I don't rebuild the coils or anything, just swap old wicks out until the coil gets super old and then I throw them out) but I was wondering what kind of resources everyone used to make this switch. Are there any really good resources (text posts, youtube videos, channels etc) I should check out to increase my knowledge on how to use these things before I dive in?

Ugghh I feel you and I am at this point too. I have so many questions and not even sure what I am facing but I know its the direction I want to go in. Hate research!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
when getting into rebuildables like the kayfun (great choice btw) you also need to buy a larger mod then what your possibly using now. if your using an ego type battery now you most definitely have to move up to something like a provari or like vv /vw mod. also a basic knowledge of ohm's law along with a resistance reader/ multimeter. although these vv/vw mods will read resistances it is good practice to use and be knowledgeable with these devices. next is to watch some videos on micro coils and how to make them, also what type of wick you might prefer like cotton or silica. then its just a matter of watching loads of videos on building your specific tank that you ultimately buy. you also need some basic tools like some drill bits, I find the perfect array sold in HD, its in the hardware section and its made by dremmel, its a very small kit that includes like 6 drill bits ranging from like 1/32 to maybe 7/64ths. also a chefs torch is a great tool to have when making coils. maybe a syringe or 2 is also nice along with a few different types of tweezers. I found a kit of tweezers at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. then there is a couple of items kind of needed for cleaning, I have a silver polish which I use to keep all the contacts and mods clean along with q-tips. you will also need to purchase some batterys along with a battery charger. have I scared you off yet? I know it sounds like a lot but its fun imo and is really a hobby. good luck

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I started out on a little igo-L dripper and fell in love with them. So easy. I have ordered a Kayfun Lite because it was recommended to me by so many wonderful people. I am looking forward to it. The YouTube videos are wonderful. Good luck to you and I would say go for it because there is always someone that will help you here. Welcome and happy vaping. I look forward to reading how you like that Kayfun. :)

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
when getting into rebuildables like the kayfun (great choice btw) you also need to buy a larger mod then what your possibly using now. if your using an ego type battery now you most definitely have to move up to something like a provari or like vv /vw mod. also a basic knowledge of ohm's law along with a resistance reader/ multimeter. although these vv/vw mods will read resistances it is good practice to use and be knowledgeable with these devices. next is to watch some videos on micro coils and how to make them, also what type of wick you might prefer like cotton or silica. then its just a matter of watching loads of videos on building your specific tank that you ultimately buy. you also need some basic tools like some drill bits, I find the perfect array sold in HD, its in the hardware section and its made by dremmel, its a very small kit that includes like 6 drill bits ranging from like 1/32 to maybe 7/64ths. also a chefs torch is a great tool to have when making coils. maybe a syringe or 2 is also nice along with a few different types of tweezers. I found a kit of tweezers at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. then there is a couple of items kind of needed for cleaning, I have a silver polish which I use to keep all the contacts and mods clean along with q-tips. you will also need to purchase some batterys along with a battery charger. have I scared you off yet? I know it sounds like a lot but its fun imo and is really a hobby. good luck

You haven't really scared me off yet. I do still use eGo's when I'm out and about but for the most part I use a VAMO V5 so I'm already okay with the mod/batteries/charger aspect. I know what I need to get, I'm just more confused about the actual rebuilding bit but everyone else has recommended some good stuff so I think I'm good now. I know there are youtube tutorials and stuff out there but not everything is reliable so I was hoping for some good tutorials that won't leave me confused and lost lol.

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
One question though, everyone: I'm assuming that once you invest in the actual parts and everything, using a rebuildable is eventually cheaper than using say, a protank or aspire system with replaceable coils? Am I right? I'm a little bit on the broke side and I don't wanna get sucked into using a system that I can't really afford.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
One question though, everyone: I'm assuming that once you invest in the actual parts and everything, using a rebuildable is eventually cheaper than using say, a protank or aspire system with replaceable coils? Am I right? I'm a little bit on the broke side and I don't wanna get sucked into using a system that I can't really afford.
I never really vaped the protank or likes so im not really sure. I do know that once you do buy the initial stuff like a couple of spools of different gauge wire, and like a bag of cotton your set for a couple years, also I do have a few vids on the kayfun but are sort of geared up to advanced builds but before Friday I will have a complete basic video on the kayfun, I will post it in this thread by friday

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I got started by rebuilding my Protank and Evod heads. Rip Tripper has a really easy tutorial on wrapping coils (look for "rebuilding a Mini PT" video). I found that once I got comfortable with rebuilding those, RDA's and RBA's are way easy. I test them on my VV V3. So far (and I'm pretty new to rebuilding) I'm just playing with wire gauge and how many wraps makes the ohms I'm trying to get to.

I use an unmarked mini-screwdriver (seems to work the best) for building mine. I've heard people having really good luck with the coiling gizmo you can buy at Hobby Lobby, but I find that hand-wrapping isn't a big deal. I'm pretty proud of this one (came in at 1.8 ohm):

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA

If you go the Kayfun route, vapdivrr's vids are a good place for builds. A pretty modest investment in materials, but compared to clearos, you will not be sorry. I am using a couple of EHPro Kayfun lite+ tanks, and they are very good. Here is a beginners list of materials, some of which you probably already have.

Tweezers, I use both pointed and flat tips.
Mini screwdriver set, from dollar store.
16 and 18ga syringe needles, from farm supply store, about $2 for a 6 pack.
3ml syringes, from farm supply store, about .50 each.
Butane torch lighter (Ronson) and butane, from WalMart, under $5.
Organic cotton balls, drug store, under $3.
28 & 30ga Kanthal wire, about $7 for 100' from Amazon.

That is bare bones what you need to start. Vapdivrr's list is more complete, and other stuff will occur to you as you begin building, for instance a VOM to check resistance but you can use your VAMO to do that now. Good luck, and have fun!

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I never really vaped the protank or likes so im not really sure. I do know that once you do buy the initial stuff like a couple of spools of different gauge wire, and like a bag of cotton your set for a couple years, also I do have a few vids on the kayfun but are sort of geared up to advanced builds but before Friday I will have a complete basic video on the kayfun, I will post it in this thread by friday

Thanks so much! Keep me updated!

If you go the Kayfun route, vapdivrr's vids are a good place for builds. A pretty modest investment in materials, but compared to clearos, you will not be sorry. I am using a couple of EHPro Kayfun lite+ tanks, and they are very good. Here is a beginners list of materials, some of which you probably already have.

Tweezers, I use both pointed and flat tips.
Mini screwdriver set, from dollar store.
16 and 18ga syringe needles, from farm supply store, about $2 for a 6 pack.
3ml syringes, from farm supply store, about .50 each.
Butane torch lighter (Ronson) and butane, from WalMart, under $5.
Organic cotton balls, drug store, under $3.
28 & 30ga Kanthal wire, about $7 for 100' from Amazon.

That is bare bones what you need to start. Vapdivrr's list is more complete, and other stuff will occur to you as you begin building, for instance a VOM to check resistance but you can use your VAMO to do that now. Good luck, and have fun!

Sweet. It looks like I'll be saving a lot of money when I save up for some RBAs.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

queevil

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Aside from saving money in the long run the beauty of rebuildables is the flexibility that they afford the user. On a Kayfun there's more ways to build a coil than I have fingers and toes. Additionally, you have the ability to build your coil to a certain ohms so that it will better suit the device you're using and you vaping style. The Kayfun is super easy to build on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1stimer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Pasadena, CA
I finally got sick of my Protanks also. I tried rebuilding them, but for me it was a real PITA, and it was just easier to buy replacements. Then I got a few bad batches of coil heads that would immediately clog, gurgle, and I had to be careful what kind of juice I put in.

I would start with an IGO-W only because I had purchased one as a backup or as an emergency in case my protank died and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to analogs.

I have now been using it exclusively for about a month, and after learning how to wrap microcoils and stuff with cotton, I couldn't be happier.

I would like the convinience of a tank, however, and have ordered a kayfun 3.1.

I hope it is as easy as the Igo-W. If I can do it, you can do it.

Cheaper? YES! Maybe. Much cheaper than buying protank heads, but now I'm itching to try out a bunch of different RBA's, RDA's, and tanks. Oh my.

Good luck!

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I finally got sick of my Protanks also. I tried rebuilding them, but for me it was a real PITA, and it was just easier to buy replacements. Then I got a few bad batches of coil heads that would immediately clog, gurgle, and I had to be careful what kind of juice I put in.

I would start with an IGO-W only because I had purchased one as a backup or as an emergency in case my protank died and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to analogs.

I have now been using it exclusively for about a month, and after learning how to wrap microcoils and stuff with cotton, I couldn't be happier.

I would like the convinience of a tank, however, and have ordered a kayfun 3.1.

I hope it is as easy as the Igo-W. If I can do it, you can do it.

Cheaper? YES! Maybe. Much cheaper than buying protank heads, but now I'm itching to try out a bunch of different RBA's, RDA's, and tanks. Oh my.

Good luck!

Hah, I hope I can get the hang of it nice and quickly. I just placed an order for a Kayfun Lite+ and a bunch of different gauge rolls of Kanthal. Now I just have to order some silica wick but I'm gonna wait and use the wick that comes with the Kayfun and then some cotton until I need some juice because I don't wanna start spending money on shipping when i can just hold off a little and buy everything I need together.

Newgmole

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Pa.
Hah, I hope I can get the hang of it nice and quickly. I just placed an order for a Kayfun Lite+ and a bunch of different gauge rolls of Kanthal. Now I just have to order some silica wick but I'm gonna wait and use the wick that comes with the Kayfun and then some cotton until I need some juice because I don't wanna start spending money on shipping when i can just hold off a little and buy everything I need together.
You will, and you'll have fun...no pun intended

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
That is probably the best clone available of the choices to be had. Personally, would rather have an Authentic Russian or kayfun. Hang on, that's right, I do have an authentic Russian. lol

Was my first rba, and have never looked back. Great place to start the rba trail. Make sure and check out the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/coil-builds/416271-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th.html thread. Best way I know to become a competent builder.

Cotton is great to start out with, small learning curve on wick densities, but once one has the process down, very easy and repeatable great vape. Coils last for months, wicks sometime weeks. I use degummed hemp fiber now for all my wicking needs. Wicks better and lasts much longer than cotton, and is more heat tolerant.

Good luck have fun.

Vape long and Prosper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread