but you dont look sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy_h_26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wondering if any other vapers are around with chronic pain or chronic illness? Or invisible illnesses as they can sometimes be called? Ive got several, its frustrating how everyone and thier brother asks if my symptoms are better since quitting. Uh, no. If thats all it took......sheesh. then ahIn, maybe it has helped some ppl to vape instead of smoke. Just wondering if any other spoonies are around?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I have asthma -- which always got me more than a few weird looks when I said that with a cigarette in my hand. Yeah I know, it's one of the conditions listed on e-juice bottles and such that means you're not supposed to vape. But hey... vaping, compared to smoking? Because if I hadn't started vaping, it's damn sure I'd still be smoking. And yeah, my asthma is better because I don't have so much junk in my lungs, and I don't feel like having an asthma attack 6 times a day, but the asthma hasn't gone away; there is no cure for it. I still cough up in the morning, don't know if that will lessen or vanish, the longer I'm off smokes, or not, but it's already less than when I was smoking.

A few years ago, I asked my doctor about the Nicotrol inhaler; as an asthmatic I'm already conditioned to accept medicine from an inhaler, and well-accustomed to PG. He said he couldn't prescribe it to an asthmatic. Can you believe that? I said, you mean it would be worse for me than continuing to smoke? He said, no, probably not, but by law he couldn't prescribe it to an asthmatic. So here I am, self-medicating with an iTaste. :D :thumb: And my doctor approves!!!

Andria

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Do they remove your thyroid for this?

Only if you have cancer or Graves Disease, or if you have nodules that are very large or growing (which may have undetected cancer cells), or if your thyroid is enlarged enough to cause pain or breathing problems. I don't have a goiter (inflammation), but I haven't had an ultrasound yet to see what all is there.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Only if you have cancer or Graves Disease, or if you have nodules that are very large or growing (which may have undetected cancer cells), or if your thyroid is enlarged enough to cause pain or breathing problems. I don't have a goiter (inflammation), but I haven't had an ultrasound yet to see what all is there.

I see there's a "yet" there... keep us informed, please!! It's good that you don't seem to have outward symptoms, though. :thumb: Some of those autoimmune things are really a pain; one of my cousins has had lupus for about 20 yrs. She managed to have 2 kids, though.

Andria

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I see there's a "yet" there... keep us informed, please!! It's good that you don't seem to have outward symptoms, though. :thumb: Some of those autoimmune things are really a pain; one of my cousins has had lupus for about 20 yrs. She managed to have 2 kids, though.

Andria

Heh - I almost wish I could have it out...the attacks wax and wane, and make it difficult to stabilize levels and symptoms. At least without one there is nothing to attack so while you still have the disease, as long as you're properly medicated and your immune status is stable then it's much easier to stay asymptomatic.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Quitting smoking accelerated my illness. Massively. But, hey -
    i'm fine.jpg

amoret

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2013
    Sharon, ND, USA
    I have a spinal cord tumor and rheumatoid arthritis with an unspecified "autoimmune process" linking the two. Constant numbness, not of the can't feel anything kind, more of the both legs and both arms " fell asleep" kind. Or like novacain wearing off on the whole body kind. It's next to impossible to explain just how miserable and disabling it can be. But I "don't look sick."

I'm part of an internet group where the issue of invisible symptoms is pretty much a constant theme. So yeah, I understand completely.

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I think there's more of us out there than people realize.

I have MS, osteoporosis and an anxiety disorder. But I don't LOOK sick. Close friends understand, and the rest, well, I've learned to accept that they don't get it and I'm okay with that. It sure is nice to talk to people like me, though.

Warriors, one and all.....

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Some symptoms, I couldn't say they've gotten better - they always are worse in winter, and what a winter that was! I can say that my fatigue is WAY better. I used to be able to be up and moving 3-4 hours a day in winter, but since quitting smoking, I have had maybe one or two naps! To me, that is miraculous!

Also, probably not related to illness, but my eyes used to itch and burn... now no problem.

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    This was posted in my other forum, and I like it very much. (My husband also has Parkinson's - doesn't everyone have a family neurologist?;))

View attachment 330807

Kind of small, but I haven't tried photobucket yet.

My brother has Parkinson's also, amoret. It's been difficult watching him go downhill, but he seems to have reached a plateau for now.
    His illness is more apparent than ours, though, so he doesn't get the "but you don't look sick" schtick.

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I have MS and Fibromyalgia, and lots of other invisible illnesses so here's a spoonie! And nope none of it has magically disappeared since I quit smoking! Sad to say:(

For me, recurrent / remittant MS with Fibro.

I wish some of it would have disappeared !

It's frustrating when that switch flips on and you come to a crashing halt :(

"But you don't look sick..."
    smh...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread