Is it time for an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranecu

Jun 28, 2012
Illinois
About 2 years ago, I consulted this forum to try to get into vaping and quit analogs. After a lot of advice, my wife and I finally purchased vivi novas and ego c twists (1100). They worked and we have both been analog free for over a year and a half. So, a big thanks to all who helped.

Now I wonder if any advancements have been made in the last two years and if I should upgrade. We are still using the same vivi novas but have replaced the ego c twists a few times. Our current batteries are again in need of replacement so I figured now would be a good time to upgrade.

My complaints with my current setup:

1. Burnt hits. The variable voltage of the twist is great but it is sometimes difficult to get that perfect balance where I get I good hit without inhaling burnt wick smoke. I don't know if this is caused by the battery, the nova, or the head.

2. Inconsistency as battery weakens. As the day goes on, I keep having to turn up the twist to get the same hit. And when it is really close to dead, full power seems too weak.

3. Battery life. It never fails to die on me when I don't have a spare or charger available.

I assume there's no avoiding the battery's short life span but if there is something that lives longer than the twist, I'd be interested.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
You didn't mention how much money you wanted to spend on it, so that sort of leaves the doors wide open. If there isn't a budget, I'd suggest picking up a decent VV / VW mod. I've got a provari and I love it... But they're not cheap.

What they are, is built to last quite a while. You'll need to buy new batteries every 6 months or a year, but they're a bit cheaper. I carry 5 batteries when I leave the house, and just swap them out when one gets low. I rarely use more than 2 a day though.

As far as toppers go, rebuildable atomizers are the current in thing, but there is a learning curve.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Congrats on being off for two years!

At the low end, you could just have two or three high mAh Spinners / Twists each. A couple of 1300 Spinners should get through the day.

Or the Innokin MVP2, at 2600 mAh, should get you through any day. Or two. It's a box, but smaller and more comfortable than you might think from the pics online. VV/VW, but not a replaceable battery mod.

Mid range, something like a Vamo, SVD or Zmax might work for you. All are replaceable battery tubes, so good batteries and a charger add to the initial cost, but they can be used in a variety of mods, so it's more an investment in the future. Easy to carry a spare or two in a non-conductive box/bag. Although if using 18650 size batteries, if you start the day with a fresh one, that may not be absolutely necessary. (I usually go out with a fresh 18650 in a tube mod with a fresh 1300 Spinner as backup, both with full toppers for flavor change.)

Of course, burnt hits can happen with any power source. Sometimes it's due to mounting a lower resistance topper and firing at the "old" settings. Sometimes is a flavor that just works better at a lower heat. So just start low and work up.

Replaceable bottom coil toppers, like the ProTank2, Davide Glassomizer and others, work well on the tube mods. Smaller version fit well on the smaller ego size batteries. (The big ones work fine, just look a bit odd, imo.) While they're pretty easy to recoil and rewick, replacement heads are fairly cheap if you don't care to get that involved. Pyrex tubes can handle any juice.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
What i went to after the twist was A VV a provari but you don' t need to spend that kind of money. IMHO I think you would like a VW like the vamo with a Protank type of atomizer. I use to use the vivi. Like you I would get dry hits. I find the protank types (bottom feed) do a better job. FYI if you don't want to go to a big mod like the Vamo use a twist and a Mini protank or glass evod. If at all possible go to a tube type that you can change the battery. There are vamo starter kits from V2's to V5's get the one with the 18650 battery. They are bigger but last longer. Some come with either a Vivi or CE type atty. Get a Protank type. They have bottom coils. IF you get the protank get the V2 or the Davide glassmariser. They come in standard and mini sizes.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
About 2 years ago, I consulted this forum to try to get into vaping and quit analogs. After a lot of advice, my wife and I finally purchased vivi novas and ego c twists (1100). They worked and we have both been analog free for over a year and a half. So, a big thanks to all who helped.

Glad to hear that. Congratulations!

Now I wonder if any advancements have been made in the last two years and if I should upgrade. We are still using the same vivi novas but have replaced the ego c twists a few times. Our current batteries are again in need of replacement so I figured now would be a good time to upgrade.

Vaping changes all the time--and for the better. You're in luck!

My complaints with my current setup:

1. Burnt hits. The variable voltage of the twist is great but it is sometimes difficult to get that perfect balance where I get I good hit without inhaling burnt wick smoke. I don't know if this is caused by the battery, the nova, or the head.

You can get that dreaded dry hit from any topper when not enough eliquid is being delivered to the hot coil, but top coil clearomizers, like your ViVi Nova. are more prone to this than the bottom coil clearomizers. I suggest you look at some good BCC toppers. I like Kanger single-coil BCCs (T3S, ProTanks 2) or dual coil Aspire clearos. If you like your Novas, you can even get an Aspire Vivi Nova style clearo with bottom coils.

2. Inconsistency as battery weakens. As the day goes on, I keep having to turn up the twist to get the same hit. And when it is really close to dead, full power seems too weak.

The best new battery is the Innokin MVP2. It's dual 510/eGo threaded, vv/vw, 2,600 mAh, ohms reader, user friendly--great battery. But it's box shaped. If you want something that still looks like en eGo, try Innokin VV V3--same features as the MVP2 but only 800 mAh.

3. Battery life. It never fails to die on me when I don't have a spare or charger available.

My MVP2, with 2,600 mAh capacity, lasts me more than two day of pretty much non-stop vaping. You can find one at $40 if you know where to look. :)

Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

I assume there's no avoiding the battery's short life span but if there is something that lives longer than the twist, I'd be interested.

The MVP will last three times longer than your Twist!

Happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread