Where to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageKage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2014
Haddonfield, NJ
So, I've decided to do some research and try to make the switch. I tried once before, picking up a Blu ecig at the gas station on an impulse. I didn't much care for it (flavor wise) and after the disposable ran out, I just went right back to analogs. That was about a year ago, and after meeting a friend of a friend last weekend who vaped, my interest is piqued and I want to try again with a better, refillable rig.

Now come questions... HOW does one go about choosing the right starter kit? I've been doing just a bit of research this afternoon for about two hours and my head is already spinning with the different options and mods I've seen, not that I really understand what I'm looking at yet. Ideally, I would love to be able to walk into a B&M store locally, see and hold a few different models, make a choice and walk out with a kit. I'm having a hard time finding local places like that, and wondering if any even exist in my area.

So, is there a B&M store finder on this site, or anywhere online? I'm in South Jersey, Cherry Hill area if that helps...

I think I'm leaning toward the eGo starter kit based on some posts I've read on this site. Any thoughts, opinions, alternate recommendations? Tips for must-have accessories I need to make sure to get up front?

RageKage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2014
Haddonfield, NJ
Google gave me this which seems to work. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the link and quick reply. I'll check it out and see what's around.

You're right next to Philly right? Bound to be some there.

I was hoping to stay on the Jersey side if possible to avoid tolls and parking, and/or train fare and a walk... But thanks for the reply. I will go over the bridge if I can't find anything around here.

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
for value, flavor, and simplicity, either order online or walk into a vape shop and pick up a couple Ego-type batteries, preferably the Vision Spinner and/or smok Winder (variable voltage types), and top it off with 2 or 3 EVODs or T3 clearomizers. Also pick up an Ego charger, and a 5-pack of spare atomizer heads. You'll find the Evod heads fit in quite a few other clearos, as your collection grows.
This set up should be fairly inexpensive, easy to use, and easy to maintain, and the EVODs are great on flavor/vapor.
Odds are you'll pay a higher price at a B&M, but if you're willing to pay for the service, go for it.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
So, I've decided to do some research and try to make the switch. I tried once before, picking up a Blu eCig at the gas station on an impulse. I didn't much care for it (flavor wise) and after the disposable ran out, I just went right back to analogs. That was about a year ago, and after meeting a friend of a friend last weekend who vaped, my interest is piqued and I want to try again with a better, refillable rig.

Now come questions... HOW does one go about choosing the right starter kit? I've been doing just a bit of research this afternoon for about two hours and my head is already spinning with the different options and mods I've seen, not that I really understand what I'm looking at yet. Ideally, I would love to be able to walk into a B&M store locally, see and hold a few different models, make a choice and walk out with a kit. I'm having a hard time finding local places like that, and wondering if any even exist in my area.

So, is there a B&M store finder on this site, or anywhere online? I'm in South Jersey, Cherry Hill area if that helps...

I think I'm leaning toward the eGo starter kit based on some posts I've read on this site. Any thoughts, opinions, alternate recommendations? Tips for must-have accessories I need to make sure to get up front?

Hello and welcome to ECF. There may be a lot of experimentation (at least there was for me) before you find something that works for you. But keep trying.

Have you checked out: USA Ecigarette Directory

LondonGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
London, UK
Hello, and welcome. I've only been vaping for 3 weeks, and off the cigarettes for nearly 2 weeks now.

I second the recommendation for an ego battery and evod tank. Very, very happy with mine.

Start out with something reasonably cheap to see whether you like it. You can upgrade later, but no point spending too much on something that might not suit.

Don't forget to get yourself a spare battery so you have one to use while the other is charging. And a charger of course!

As for flavours, personally I do not like the tobacco flavours, and prefer fruits. You just need to experiment a bit. Don't expect to save any money for the first few weeks until you find what works for you.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Personally I think the best beginners set up is a vision spinner or smok winder DO NOT get the ego c twist for a tank get a pro tank or a evod I love the evods there are kick ... little tanks you should be able to get a battery and a tank for $50 under with the ones mentioned

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

May I ask why? I own several and they are perfectly fine.

Well I've been vaping for 7 weeks now and here was the progression.
1) Vape Shop set me up with cheapest starter kit (very unsure of vaping and didn't want to spend $125 to start) Ego-T
2) Liked it and bought an Itaste VV battery (now I'm variable)
3) Moved from IClear 16 tanks to Kanger Pro Tank II's (more juice and rebuildable)
4) Then was a MOD (Z-Max V5)
5) Mech MOD on the way as I type (SMOK Magneto)

In my opinion, get a starter kit that's cheap. Don't need variable (difficult to describe to someone who knows nothing). Don't need larger tanks (= more $ to start). What convinced me was the fact that it felt like real cigs. Feel it go in and feel it come out. The next thing was I liked all the flavors. I got the comparable flavor to my cigs to start. Lasted one day before..."hmmm...those flavors I tried were pretty good...". Anyone need a 1/4 gone bottle of Menthol? Still sits next to me.

To summarize: If unsure get a small starter kit. Pick more than one flavor and get number of tanks to match number of flavors. See if you like it. If YES, then begin moving up in Hardware. My first trip to Vape Shop, I walked out the door spending less than $50...then rest is history. Don't have the cash to dump $75 - $100 on a guess. Yeah that went by the wayside pretty fast. I'm a Vaping GEEK now. Every waking second on the web is E-Cigs. RebuildingMaking coils, RDA's, How to's and best price sites. My wife says I have an addition. "No I don't, I haven't been to any of the meetings or had my first Intervention....."

Last edited:

BDR91

Apr 22, 2014
Utah
May I ask why? I own several and they are perfectly fine.

Because for some time the ego c twists were notorious for issues several shops around my area stopped carrying them all together the vision spinner/smok winder are much better plus they are cheaper for a higher mAh battery

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Google, YouTube, and ECF are your buddies. Mostly ECF. ;)

I started with two Ego C-twists and two Kanger PT2's, and was ordering my first VV/VW mod and more tanks within the first week. Not because I was dissatisfied with what I had, I just wanted to try more/different things.

Where to start is a matter of budget and taste - it can be confusing and somewhat intimidating because of all the options, but you're in the right place to get your questions answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread