I torched the shiny parts of my nemesis clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
Comments? Opinions? Love it? Hate it?

Also, post some pics of your torched metal!!

4uqu8u9y.jpg

7udytymu.jpg

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
looks sweet. been seriously thinking about do it to one of my rdas. don't have a torch though. think a bic would work?

I tried a force patina, but the rda is stainless steel so no luck.

Patina'd one of my blades and it looks great.

I def think you need a torch. It didn't change until the metal was red hot all the way through. Maybe a stovetop would work?

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
looks sweet. been seriously thinking about do it to one of my rdas. don't have a torch though. think a bic would work?

I tried a force patina, but the rda is stainless steel so no luck.

Patina'd one of my blades and it looks great.

You definitely need a torch. Yellow is the first color you hit when you're heat treating and I think you need at least like 300 degrees.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
hey guys. Been on a torching frenzy here lately and i figured i would share some of what ive done.
etyu 002.jpg
chi you clone and kayfun driptip torched all colorfully
jhfd 010.jpg
SVD torched hot to a light blue
srtghs 016.jpg
Nimbus rainbow cap. hard to see the color in that pic
torched cap (3).jpg
IGOW cap torched to a deep purple
rfgth 003.jpg
Nemesis torched to a dark gold-ish black-ish 18350/650

Last edited:

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Prob a dumb question but do you literally just torch it? Or do you use some kind of oil on the device and then torch it?

Sent from RB.
no just clean it well. oils from your hand can cause it to heat un-evenly so it will come out splotchy. I wipe it down well with alcohol and then water. dry it well. Go slowly with the torch and keep the flame above the steel unless you want it to heat faster. There are good youtube videos on this. Good luck

the steel will turn gold, then purple, then blue if you get it glowing red. If you dont want anything past purple, dont let it get red hot. If you want between purple and light blue, get it red to bright red respectively.

If you heat it to a color then let it cool down for about 5 minutes then reheat to the same color it will darken the shade. Unless youre doing bright blue. Bright blue will only reach a certain point (like the top ring on the svd pictured above) then get lighter with re-heating.

Dont quench the steel in water until you get your desired color. I have had little to no success changing the color after quenching. Seems to just make it uglier.

Also remember that the color will darken some over time. Your oils from your hand will make it look more tarnished. You can polish this away and get to your originally created color but it doesnt stay long.

Ive found natural sunlight brings out the colors best. Might be a good idea to torch outside on a sunny day. Havent tried that yet though.

Last edited:

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
hey guys. Been on a torching frenzy here lately and i figured i would share some of what ive done.
View attachment 329085
chi you clone and kayfun driptip torched all colorfully
View attachment 329086
SVD torched hot to a light blue
View attachment 329087
Nimbus rainbow cap. hard to see the color in that pic
View attachment 329088
IGOW cap torched to a deep purple
View attachment 329089
Nemesis torched to a dark gold-ish black-ish 18350/650
That igow!!! Awesome

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Mechm0djunky

Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Nashville, TN
Those all look great! So while you are torching you can actually see the color it is at? I was thinking it would just get that black burnt stuff on it at first and cover up the color till you wiped it off, kinda like when putting a lighter towards metal and that black color appears? Give or take, how long does it take? I showed these pictures to my girlfriend. Big mistake, she wants all our stainless mods torched now. She says they are pretty like a rainbow, I didn't admit it to her but they really do look amazing. I just casually agreed they looked alright like men do. Ha

Think I'll just check out some videos on it, now that she is wanting 20 some odd mods torched. Of course I have a few mods no torch is getting close to. Maybe that's what I need to do, torch the heck out of a GP Paps mod and post pictures in one of those Paps loving threads. I wouldn't hear the end of it. Lol. I'd be known around the forum as the guy that torched his gp paps. Thanks for the pictures and ideas.

Edit: I watched some videos and they pretty much answered my questions. I actually saw a couple people do tubes on the stove top for super even anodizing by just rolling it back and forth over the eye /heating element of the stove. Think I'm going to give it a shot this week sometime with a touch though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread