Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Got my first KFL+ and R91 a couple weeks ago, and have been building 1.8Ω cotton wicked micro coils with 6 wraps of 30 gauge on a 3/32" drill bit. I've been plagued with random dry/burnt hits. Flavor would go from fabulous to less to nil, and I would get burnt hits out of the blue, powered by Provari at 3.7 to 3.9 volts. The flavor drop, after a few hits, could be solved by the occasional dry pull, and the burnt hits could be solved by a dry pull (sometimes with finger over air hole) to get more juice into the chamber.

Since this clearly seemed to be a wicking issue, I tried every possible wicking configuration: less cotton, more cotton, medium cotton, longer wicks, shorter wicks, medium wicks, wicks on the channels, off the channels, on the side. Nothing worked.

Recently my spool of 28 gauge kanthal arrived and yesterday I decided to see if it would make a difference. I've built 1.5Ω coils with 10 wraps on a 5/64" drill bit, and have not had a single. burnt or dry hit. Occasionally I will get a slight drop in flavor after a few chain hits, but it quickly recovers. This is a blessing, because the worst thing about those random burnt hits was that they'd come out of the blue- yuck. The only indicator would be that I'd hear a sort of "after-burn" sizzle after releasing the draw. FWIW, I'm using just enough fluffy cotton to easily pull through the coil without tugging. My wick ends go straight down to touch the deck and curl under a bit, without blocking the channels.

So if any of you are using 6 wraps of 30G on a 3/32" bit and plagued with burnt hits and flavor issues, you might want to try the bigger 28G coil. I don't know why (more surface area?) but this has solved the problem and I'm a happy vaper :)

I used to also have flavor issues after a re-fill (bottom or top) but haven't refilled yet with these new coils. I'll post back after refill if I have any problems.

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
The new 28g coils seem to also have solved the refill issues. Just did the bottom refill with no flavor change!

I've been getting dry/burnt hits as well and I am definitely going to try that build 2nite for my KFL+. Is your coil perpendicular to deck, or is it angled? Do u have a pic by chance? Thanks.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
I just got one last week. I did the navy nest as my first build which is basically kanthal on ekowool. Do any of you know if you get more vapor on the microcoil? I attempted to do a microcoil first but it took me forever so I took the shortcut way and did the navy nest. But, thinking now I just want to trash it when my tank is empty and do the microcoil but wondering how the vape is.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I've been getting dry/burnt hits as well and I am definitely going to try that build 2nite for my KFL+. Is your coil perpendicular to deck, or is it angled? Do u have a pic by chance? Thanks.

Perpendicular. Sorry, no pics at this time. It's a classic micro coil build.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Are your 30g micro coils?

Yes, I wrap around a 14ga needle
Coil should have -0- to do with filling issues. It is not in the flow/fill area. Filling to full can cause issues. Vaping dry before filling can cause some issues. Vaping to soon after filling might cause issues.
28ga can be a bit slower to heat up. This could change perspective. Especially for anyone that may take shorter draws.

See my blog for my build

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yes, I wrap around a 14ga needle
Coil should have -0- to do with filling issues. It is not in the flow/fill area.

My wraps were on a 3/32" drill bit- different than yours. Clearly builds do somehow affect performance after refilling. I ALWAYS had flavor issues after refilling (bottom or top) with the 30G build. Don't know why, but I did. The experience I've described here is accurate. Yours is a different experience with a different build. Congratulations.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I've been using nothing but 28 ga coils on 3/32" raps from .8 to 1.9 ohms with not a single wicking problem including the one with the 4 channels instead of the duel channel as normal. I have 6 Kayfun clones by 4 different makers and 2 styles for one (Kayfun Lite+, 91% Black Russian). Love them all almost as much as my drippers.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I've been using nothing but 28 ga coils on 3/32" raps from .8 to 1.9 ohms with not a single wicking problem
I'm going to try the 28G on 3/32". I just decided to try 5/64" since it's a popular size for 28G. Have you used 28G on 5/64"? If so, how do the 2 compare? That should be a nice big coil on 3/32".

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
My wraps were on a 3/32" drill bit- different than yours. Clearly builds do somehow affect performance after refilling. I ALWAYS had flavor issues after refilling (bottom or top) with the 30G build. Don't know why, but I did. The experience I've described here is accurate. Yours is a different experience with a different build. Congratulations.

Correct, mine are 2.1mm while yours was 2.3mm.
However, I must stress - the coil is NOT in the fill path and can only vaporize received e-liquid. If you are getting Dry hits the coil is NOT receiving e-liquid regardless of its size.

Are you experiencing this on Both the Kayfun and the R91?

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Correct, mine are 2.1mm while yours was 2.3mm.
However, I must stress - the coil is NOT in the fill path and can only vaporize received e-liquid. If you are getting Dry hits the coil is NOT receiving e-liquid regardless of its size.

Are you experiencing this on Both the Kayfun and the R91?
Well, you can stress all you want, but the fact is that the problems with flavor after a refill on both the KFL+ and R91 are no more with the new build. Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean it's not so. Somehow the physics have changed and all is working fine, and that's good enough for me.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well, you can stress all you want, but the fact is that the problems with flavor after a refill on both the KFL+ and R91 are no more with the new build. Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean it's not so. Somehow the physics have changed and all is working fine, and that's good enough for me.
going from 6 wraps of 30g to 10 wraps of 28g is imo, a needed move. in micro coils 6 wraps is kind of low especially for a thin wire like 30g. 10 wraps gives you much more wick coverage and along with a thicker wire makes a world of difference. the heat produced by only 6 wraps of 30g is scalding compared to the 10 wraps of 28 where the wire hits the wick. now the heat your producing is so much more spread out with the 28g and your not drying out your wick. so yes your move to 28g has made your vape a lot better but in a sense its really not the wire but just the way you made your coil with the 30g. if you took that 30g and made lets say a 14 wrap with it(although the resistance would be too high) I bet your vape would not react like your 6 wrap of 30 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread