The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Perhaps it's because I just finished watching Fight Club on HBO and felt a little unhinged.

Perhaps I've read too many posts from ProVari haters that categorize the ProVari as overpriced and downplay it's quality or design.

Or maybe since dunking my E-LVT in the toilet I decided that for curiosity sake I just had to find out for myself.

Well here it is.

After a rather unsuccessful dunking of my E-LVT during a torture review process I promised myself I'd never do anything that stupid again. And I haven't. I did something stupider.

Not wanting to put my ProVari in the toilet, I decided to replicate the dunk test with a much more cleaner environment.

Below you will see pictures of my placing my beloved ProVari in a full glass of water. And it going into a bag of rice afterwards.

If you do this you WILL void your warranty and you will likely ruin your VV/VW device. But I am so confident that the ProVari will incur no damage that I am going to do this. Everything I have seen with my eyes and heard about the design decisions of the ProVari give me the confidence to do something this stupid..... I wouldn't do this with any other mod, after my E-LVT fiasco....

ProVari_Dunk.jpg ProVari bubbles.jpg ProVari bubbles 2.jpg

The first picture is a side view of the ProVari submerged in the water. The next two photos show the device from the top down, you can see the bubbles coming up from the device.

ProVari Rice.jpg

The last picture is the ProVari in it's bag of rice after it's been shaken out and dried out with a paper towel.

In 24 hours, I'll put a battery back into this device and we'll see if she fires up....

For all you people who are really curious about the build quality and survivability of a ProVari....Well, we'll find out together.

Few of us are stupid as I am and intentionally put our APV's in water. But many of us do find ourselves wondering what would happen if we dropped it in a lake, or left it in our pocket when we did clothes or even just spilled a drink on it. Well this should settle that question for you.

And if any of you DNA, Sigelei 20W, Vamo, or Zmax owners try to replicate this to prove that your mods are just as durable as a ProVari.....well...you've been warned....

Last edited:
Reactions: oldbikeguy

Yankez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Victoria, B.C.
Fight Club is an awesome movie.

With that said, next time you watch it and feel the need to put your Provari through the litmus test to see how much damage it can take and still work....send it to me.

I promise to run it through all the tough tests and if it survives I'll give you a big " THANK YOU " for sending me such a good PV

;):vapor:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My money is on the Provari surviving. ;)

I've read of one surviving a drenching in a swimming pool, another surviving a complete wash cycle in a pair of pants, and another getting a good bath in a river for 24 hours until it was found by the happy owner.

I think it is Buzzzpro here on the forum who demonstrates the toughness of his Provari by dropping it at arm's length onto the tile floor. Edd the lion dropped his from above the ceiling down a story onto the floor, knocked the top cap partially off, and fixed it by hitting it with a block of wood and a hammer.

And the stories of being run over by a dump truck; falling off a speeding motorcycle on a busy highway, bounching down the road and getting run over by a car; falling one story off a ledge landing on concrete, etc, etc. Stories that legends are made from. :laugh:

I'd like to see a DNA mod go through any of the above and still survive.

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
My money is on the Provari surviving. ;)

I've read of one surviving a drenching in a swimming pool, another surviving a complete wash cycle in a pair of pants, and another getting a good bath in a river for 24 hours until it was found by the happy owner.

I think it is Buzzzpro here on the forum who demonstrates the toughness of his Provari by dropping it at arm's length onto the tile floor. Edd the lion dropped his from above the ceiling down a story onto the floor, knocked the top cap partially off, and fixed it by hitting it with a block of wood and a hammer.

And the stories of being run over by a dump truck; falling off a speeding motorcycle on a busy highway, bounching down the road and getting run over by a car; falling one story off a ledge landing on concrete, etc, etc. Legendary stories.

I think the only thing that beat a Provari was a lawn mower. It gave the blades a good thrashing, but that stainless steel case was hacked....I saw the pictures on that one....

Oh the humanity!!!!

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
A challenger appears...

dpep2u.jpg

One of my first egos back in July last year, its now currently being used by my wife. This "thing" as we call it apparently will never die, has been through several laundry cycles, never rice bag dried, dropped countless times, the most recent rolling off a 2nd story balcony onto a concrete deck. Still fires like when I first purchased it.

This used to be coated with a black synthetic rubber, but started to flake off after then 2nd or 3rd laundry cycle. ;)

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
A challenger appears...

dpep2u.jpg

One of my first egos back in July last year, its now currently being used by my wife. This "thing" as we call it apparently will never die, has been through several laundry cycles, never rice bag dried, dropped countless times, the most recent rolling off a 2nd story balcony onto a concrete deck. Still fires like when I first purchased it.

This used to be coated with a black synthetic rubber, but started to flake off after then 2nd or 3rd laundry cycle. ;)

Looks like a mech with an accelerated patina. I'd put it on a shelf and admire it daily.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I'm curious to find out the results too. Does it matter if the battery is in or out when it's dunked in water? I don't have the guts to do it on purpose to one of mine.

I performed the test with an old 18490 in it. If your ProVari took an accidental bath, it would have a battery in side most likely. However, I'm not a complete fool. I threw out the battery. Li-Ion's are no joke, so I'm not putting a battery that I completely submerged on a charger. I did reuse the E-LVT review cause there were only a couple of drops on the battery and although nothing happened, I never felt comfortable with that battery so I trashed it...(It was a flat top, so couldn't use it with a ProVari anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread