What Am I Doing Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Okay I feel really stupid right now but I have no idea what's going on. I just got my first RBA (kayfun Lite+ Clone by EHpro) today and I've been trying to build coils for it but no matter what I use/do, my Vamo reads everything I build at either 0 or 0.1 ohms. I've tried both 30 and 32g Kanthal, different amounts of wraps, wrapping around different sized drill bits, etc. and everything comes out to either 0 or 0.1. Is something wrong with my Vamo, my Kayfun, my builds? I have no idea. I've watched tons of tutorials and read all kinds of stuff on how to properly build coils and nothing is working out for me. I'm trying to aim for anything between 1.5-2.5 ohms. Can anyone help?

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Do you have anything else to check the ohms with to compare?

No :( That's why I'm so annoyed. I think it might have to do with the connection it's making with my Vamo. If I screw it in all the way I get a 0.0 or 0.1 ohm reading but if I screw it in super lightly it starts giving me random readings anywhere from 5 to 1.7 ohms.

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Try gingerly lifting up on the fire pin on your vamo. Gingerly!!

I have! It helps for a bit but still nothing. After fiddling with it I think I've come to the conclusion that my problem is with the centre pin. I feel like I should replace the o-ring but I'm worried I'll just break it. Is there any way to fix the connector on my Kayfun so that it works better? I've tried to unscrew it a bit but then it loosens the positive bit of where the coil sits and it gets wobbly.

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have! It helps for a bit but still nothing. After fiddling with it I think I've come to the conclusion that my problem is with the centre pin. I feel like I should replace the o-ring but I'm worried I'll just break it. Is there any way to fix the connector on my Kayfun so that it works better? I've tried to unscrew it a bit but then it loosens the positive bit of where the coil sits and it gets wobbly.

Don't mess with the center pin on the kayfun. Do you have a multi meter to check to voltage on the vamo? There is a thread on how to replace the oring on a vamo somewhere.

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay update: I tried firing my Kayfun on an eGo battery to see if I could get the coils to glow since whenever I WOULD get a reading from my Vamo it was always around 2 ohms and nothing. What in the hell could be the problem?

So what your saying is you get no reading off your vamo? Does the coil glow when connected to an ego battery?

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
So what your saying is you get no reading off your vamo? Does the coil glow when connected to an ego battery?

My Vamo occasionally reads it properly for a second or two, then I try to fire it and and I get the "low load" reading and if I check the ohms it tells me either 0.0 or 0.1. I've tried raising the centre pin on my Vamo and nothing. I got the coil to glow once for a few seconds and then nothing so I'm starting to think that it's not my build but the Kayfun isn't making a proper connection with the Vamo (but then, why can't I get it to work on my eGos either?).

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
My Vamo occasionally reads it properly for a second or two, then I try to fire it and and I get the "low load" reading and if I check the ohms it tells me either 0.0 or 0.1. I've tried raising the centre pin on my Vamo and nothing. I got the coil to glow once for a few seconds and then nothing so I'm starting to think that it's not my build but the Kayfun isn't making a proper connection with the Vamo (but then, why can't I get it to work on my eGos either?).

If you can't get it to work on either devices, it has to be the kayfun. How are you making your coils?

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If you can't get it to work on either devices, it has to be the kayfun. How are you making your coils?

I'm confused as to how the Kayfun wouldn't be working properly but yeah, I've tried a few different builds from anywhere from 5 to 11 wraps with either 30 or 32g Kanthal and nothing is firing.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
How are you connecting the coils to the posts? My first time out, I stuck the ends in the side holes. You're sure you're getting both legs secured under the screws? If it was reading 2 and now nothing, either the coil has lost the connection, there's a short somewhere (even inside the Kayfun), or there's something wrong with the Vamo.

If everything on the coil checks out, check to see if the airflow adjustment screw is all the way in. When mine is completely closed, the tip of the screw makes contact with the center tube underneath (where you can't see it unless you take the bottom off), and that will cause a short and "0" reading.

Softrockstarr

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
How are you connecting the coils to the posts? My first time out, I stuck the ends in the side holes. You're sure you're getting both legs secured under the screws? If it was reading 2 and now nothing, either the coil has lost the connection, there's a short somewhere (even inside the Kayfun), or there's something wrong with the Vamo.

If everything on the coil checks out, check to see if the airflow adjustment screw is all the way in. When mine is completely closed, the tip of the screw makes contact with the center tube underneath (where you can't see it unless you take the bottom off), and that will cause a short and "0" reading.

This is what I've got going on right now. The wire is under the screws and I just loosened the airflow screw a little. Still nothing.

10014548_10154133353190691_1635092000448557522_n.jpg
10151349_10154133353185691_1943392088451633233_n.jpg

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
if your connections are tight and no part of the coil other then the connection points is touching metal then it should fire. do you have a 510 to 510 adapter? im just thinking its the 510 connection on the mod, its not making contact with the pin on the kayfun. another thing that can cause it not to fire is to low of a resistance but most likely its not that because your using 30 & 32g wire which is high resistance so im sure its not to low. one good thing about those resistance checkers or multimeters is that you can check the coil before even setting it into the kayfun to see what resistance it at. my brother had a vamo and always had issues with his not making contact with certain attys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread