Deciding on the best Triton for daily portable use

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Yo Halons! So this morning I figured "Eh, screw it" and only brought one little 650 mah Halo Triton to work with me in my pants pocket (rather than my pile of G6's, eRoll or SID). And you know what? It's been great and carefree. The only major problem is the drop in voltage has been too noticeable to me over the course of the day, and I had to put it on the charger before it died to make it satisfying again. So now I'm torn between carrying my 900 VV instead, or buying a standard 900 or 1300. (I would really like to only carry one battery, if I can get away with it. I've tried carrying a large Ego case in my back pocket before and it's aggravating.)

So who wants to answer this veteran's embarrassing noob-like questions?

1. I've seen a number kicking around on the forum that the VV circuitry in a Triton/Twist/Spinner knocks out a 30% chunk of the battery capacity. Is that accurate? That would mean the 900 mah VV lasts like it's approximately 630 mah. :glare: That would be a bummer, as I highly prefer the constant voltage. I have owned 650's and Twists in the past, but have actually never let one completely die, so I don't know how long they last.

2. I noticed on the website that the 1300 mah is actually shorter in length than the 900 mah VV. That is definitely intriguing. My educated guess is that the 1300 battery would hover up around the 3.7-3.8v plateau for longer than a 650 or 900 (non VV), right? Maybe I should get one of those.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
Yes, that is the trade off with the 900mah VV. It lasts as long as a 650mah, which is 1 whole day for me. 2 whole days with the 1300mah. That and you don't get any indication of how much battery life is left, where as the standard triton drops in volts which lets you know.

I doubt that the voltage plateau is any different on non regulated batteries in reference to higher or lower capacities, but don't quote me on that as the extended discharge might result in longer consistency periods in the mid-range. I have not tested this.

I used to carry the 1300 around but have grown to dislike the taste on a fresh charge, so now I'm all VV.

Battery Length:

400 mAh - 57.5 mm
650 mAh - 74.5 mm
900 mAh - 89.8 mm
1300 mAh - 99.6 mm

900mAh VV - 106.2 mm

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm actually the opposite, I love using an unregulated battery when it's fresh off the charger, and then I immediately start enjoying it less and less. Ha

Maybe I should order some of the 1.8-2.0 ohm coils, a 1300 mah battery, and try that combination. *shrug*

Heh, sounds like the 1300 is for you. It's plenty small to tote around, in fact I wouldn't sacrifice that much additional battery life just to save ~$3 and ~10-15mm, as it's hidden in the palm anyway.

Those coils heat up quite a bit. I like high resistance coils and lowish volts on the VV. Nice and cool. I just wish the battery came in all the colors the regulars do.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Just to show the sizes of the Halo batteries, I repost a pic Cinder Ella posted long ago in the first chat thread.

Though the twist battery (VV) and the 900mAh are both 900's they are not the same size. The picture, starting from the bottom shows the Twist (900mAh), 1300mAh, 900mAh, 650mAh and 400mAh batteries.

HaloBats.jpg

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
If I can ask, what is the problem with carrying a second battery? Just wondering. And there's no penalty for topping off the charge.

Yes, 30% is fairly accurate in capacity loss.

Now, this graph is a typical Lithium battery discharge cycle, volts vs time. Note, don't look at the voltage as much as the shape of the curve. This shape is similar to most rechargeable Li bats, regardless of capacity. So you assume correctly, the larger capacity batteries will hover at a given voltage for longer.
Also, Halo batteries, like many others, have a low voltage cutoff (LVC), the blinking light. Going below this voltage seriously affects the life of the battery. The graph DOESN'T show the LVC. My voltmeter shows this at about 3.7-3.6v

dischargeGraph.jpg

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Dave, buddy! Thanks for dropping in. I clearly recall that you replied to me a few months ago on this. It was when I was first whining about how I wanted the VV Tritons because I didn't like when the unregulated batteries dipped below 4-3.7 volts. And now look at us: essentially having the same discussion. I guess I didn't learn my lesson. :)

Anyway, to answer your initial question of why I don't want to carry 2 batteries... it's a petty neurotic reason, really. I don't carry a bag to the office, and I don't wear a jacket in the summer, so I want a comfortable consistent year-round way to have my gear on me in a pocket.

But with that said, I suppose I could just suck it up, toss a 2nd VV in my pocket and be done with it.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
Dave, buddy! Thanks for dropping in. I clearly recall that you replied to me a few months ago on this. It was when I was first whining about how I wanted the VV Tritons because I didn't like when the unregulated batteries dipped below 4-3.7 volts. And now look at us: essentially having the same discussion. I guess I didn't learn my lesson. :)

Anyway, to answer your initial question of why I don't want to carry 2 batteries... it's a petty neurotic reason, really. I don't carry a bag to the office, and I don't wear a jacket in the summer, so I want a comfortable consistent year-round way to have my gear on me in a pocket.

But with that said, I suppose I could just suck it up, toss a 2nd VV in my pocket and be done with it.

Or buy a 2nd USB charger and just charge the battery during office time.?? Plugged into a USB slot on a work PC.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
*gasp* Descartes plane...my old nemesis! i thought you perished in that plain crash over Peru!

Huh, I never would've thought I'd learn who invented X, Y coordinates... on freaking ECF. You are a special snowflake, wheez. And I mean that in a good way, not a ride-a-bus-in-a-helmet way. Although that sounds like a really safe way to travel.

Anyway, oh, hi. So this morning I learned that I should probably put an ounce of effort into figuring out a problem before I post a question, because it turns out I don't even like how an assembled VV and tank feels in my pocket. During my commute for work I am sitting down/standing up on a couple packed buses and trains, and this battery is a little too long for comfort. (Don't tell that to the ladies--wait, nevermind).

So I brought a 650 mah and USB charger to work, and I'm ordering some 1.8 ohm coils this morning. Also I discovered a spare 650 is small enough to fit in that stupid useless coin pocket in jeans, if needed. In your face, coins.

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Anyway, oh, hi. So this morning I learned that I should probably put an ounce of effort into figuring out a problem before I post a question, because it turns out I don't even like how an assembled VV and tank feels in my pocket. During my commute for work I am sitting down/standing up on a couple packed buses and trains, and this battery is a little too long for comfort. (Don't tell that to the ladies--wait, nevermind).

Go on.............Teeheee I've never had that problem :lol:

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Someone please explain to me how I went to the Halo site to order 1 pack of 1.8 ohm coils, and I ended up spending $90. :laugh:

Though, it did bump me over 1000 points again so next time I get a free bottle of SubZero.

I believe what ultimately happened is you pressed "Checkout" when you caught the shinyitis. :p Happens to me all the time. ;)

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
what's to explain, seems perfectly normal.

You're all enablers! Even Cinder liked that post. I... I swear to god, I--wait, what's happening?

*buys 500 more Triton tanks*

No, I already have enough--

*buys 20 bottles of SubZero*

But I just ordered another--

*puts his credit card number on paper airplanes and throws them around the city*

HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread