Printed DNA30 Bottom Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
A while back bapgood got me started on CADing mod designs, so I started playing with a concept for a 3D printed bottom feeder. He was nice enough to lend me some of the elements he used for his SXS to get me going. (So a big Hat Tip to baps). The objective here was to get a squonker design in the smallest amount of space possible. While squeezing in a DNA chip between the juice and battery compartments was a challenge, the toughest part of the design was to get all the wiring connections aligned and into a top cap that was removable for battery changes and juice refills. The mod holds an 18650 and 6ml juice bottle and a number of parts came from MiikePetro and Tibs' co-op but are readily sourced on line. (Faddydaddy 510, copper disc, screws, spring, etc.) The mod has seven printed parts: the body, the base cap, the top cap, the button, an internal removable spacer for the battery compartment and a small positioning piece and a firing pin for the mini tact switch. The juice bottle compartment is fully sealed off in the body from the DNA chip and the battery.

Dimensions are 3.5” x 1.9” X .87”. Here is a comparison to Tibs for size.
3weEHj6.jpg

Rough layout for parts and wiring.
o5zIHf4.jpg

Painted and partial assembly.
uQX8CYQ.jpg

Magnets, spring pin connectors and terminal turrets installed.
pSelm67.jpg

It works!
aIjpuvE.jpg

Final assembly.
dTQSTbI.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the shapeway material while durable and strong, can deform. The top cap started out flush to the body, but after a lot of handling and probably from the counter pressure from the battery spring, the material bowed out about half millimeter. I swapped out the spring with a much softer one and the top relaxed a bit. I think the big win here was that the spring pin connectors and terminal turrets held power all the way up to 30 watts. I wasn’t certain, even though the spring pins are rated to 20 amps, that at the actual connection point to the turrets they wouldn’t get hot enough to melt the plastic. So far so good.

This is a first prototype. The build works, its noticeably light and holds well in the hand, but like anything else, going through the actual build from a design on ”paper”, a lot of improvements/changes become more obvious. So… this is prototype #1. Prototype #2 (major redesign) is on order and prototype #3 is being finalized.

Reactions: Caprilli

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Gdeal, that is just great, you had me at turrets. I marvel the mechanical fire switch with the DNA (at least I think it is) and certainly recognize Bap's bottom panel.

One thing I disregard by reflex is having attracting magnets mixed with an opposing battery spring and here you have three spring loaded turrets and a battery spring that can handle the 30A, so it must be fairly beefy still, even after changing it out. Are the magnets that much stronger to counteract the springs, or are the springs that much softer than I envision?

This just rocks, and if you need a beta tester for either prototype #1 or #2, my calendar is open. :)

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
That's awesome - even though there are some improvements to make. I hadn't even thought about 3D printing for mods. I am into liquid feed myself - just love it.

Thanks!

How much did it cost to build, I know the electronics are the biggest cost. It looks great. Will heat deform the plastic in time?

Most of the hardware was sitting around, so I havent price out the actual cost of components yet. The cost of the 3d print parts was ~$50-$60 but it really depends upon type and amount of material used. Here, I used the least expensive material type "white, strong, flexible" and tried to minimized material volume to the max for the prototype. I like the Alumide material much better (smoother and doesnt need painting...but more $) Then maybe another $25 to $30 in parts (?) So. I would guess under $150 including the DNA Chip. The material can handle some heat, but heat wasnt the issue here, the connections didnt overload, the issue was that #$% first spring I used.

Gdeal, that is just great, you had me at turrets. I marvel the mechanical fire switch with the DNA (at least I think it is) and certainly recognize Bap's bottom panel.

One thing I disregard by reflex is having attracting magnets mixed with an opposing battery spring and here you have three spring loaded turrets and a battery spring that can handle the 30A, so it must be fairly beefy still, even after changing it out. Are the magnets that much stronger to counteract the springs, or are the springs that much softer than I envision?

This just rocks, and if you need a beta tester for either prototype #1 or #2, my calendar is open. :)

Sharp eye! yup, that's bapgoods bottom panel. (why reinvent what works...;), plus bap's CAD skills are top-notch). I had the same concern with all those opposing forces, so I used four 2lb cylinder magnets to keep it together. It holds very well, but is not difficult to remove the top. The issue with the gap occurred with the heavier (and unnecessary stronger spring under the battery) and because that upward force is toward to end of top cap away from the magnets in the center. After the change to the lighter spring, it wasnt pushing it up, but the top cap was already deformed. :(

Its not a mechanical fire switch and the spring isnt part of the circuit. Its just there to keep the firing pin raise off of a tact switch in base. (another idea borrowed from Bap). There is a cool uber small tact switch (bapgood again...) sitting on top on the DNA screen and just below the battery. The battery sits on the firing pin aligned with tact switch button. The copper disk in the firing pin provides chip power. The throw is beautiful. Its adjustable from the thumb screw in the button, I have it set so the firing pin rests right on the tact switch. Its click-on- click off in ~1mm.

I have prototype #2 coming in a couple of days, its got major improvements in the design....if it seems like it will work I'll post up a parts list and link for printing it.

Very very nice!!!
lol...it should be nice Professor Bapgood. I had a good teacher.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
The battery depresses the micro switch? Too cool!

Yes...here is a snap-shot of the firing mechanism. (I changed it slightly when I built the mod though). Its pictured in the full opened position. The battery sits on top of the copper disc. The spring, (not shown) sits under the copper disc holder. The firing pin which comes from the bottom of the disc holder goes through the center of the spring. The tact switch holder also acts as a base for the spring and secures it in place. So the spring just provides pressure on the battery between the copper disc (positive) and the thumb screw (negative) to keep full time power to the chip.

Squonk V1 - Firing Mechanism.jpg

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
So you post stuff like this but dont sell me one? thats pretty messed up sir.

Bada** looking mod love it want one

been looking at the pdibb mods and came across this. Are these going to be for sale?

I am really just doing this as a hobby. I have no plans for becoming a vendor. But I am glad to share with anybody who is interested.

I not sure at this point if making prototype #1 available for other people to 3D print or test out makes sense. But if you like pdib style mods, you are going to really like prototype #2. The overall design is much improved but the structure of the internal parts and features are much more complex. So if the parts print well and assemble with out requiring major tweaking, I'll make it available.

Its Alive......

Alive yes, but work in progress.

...here's sneak peak at prototype #2.

R0bzhtU.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Subscribed.

I adore my pdib OliveR -- the size, the shape, the fresh-squozen juice, and of course its craftsmanship and natural wood beauty. The only thing I don't like about it is the way the vape changes with the battery's state-of-charge and the fact that its output can't be tweaked to accommodate different coil resistances / geometries. All the other mods that I still use are DNAs, and there's a reason for that. ;)

For a while, I was actually pondering how to retrofit a DNA into a thicker bottom plate for the OliveR. I sort of put those thoughts aside until I get some loose DNAs physically in my possession, which should be Real Soon Now™.

I am really just doing this as a hobby. I have no plans for becoming a vendor. But I am glad to share with anybody who is interested.
Raises hand! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread