Another Kayfun question... vape seems too moist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Hi guys

I finally got into a rebuildable with a kayfun 3.1 clone. My initial setup was done for me by the store with a standard coil at 1.2 ohms. I had issues with dry hits on that build. I tried several times building a good 1.4 - 1.6 ohm micro coil cotton build. I struggled getting the higher resistance, at first, it seemed no matter how many wraps I was doing I was only getting .8 - 1 ohm. Finally I got it with like 9 or 10 wraps of 28 gauge kenthal.

Now, here's my question, the vape is not a huge cloud, but very dense. It feels too wet/moist. Is that just the way this tank is, or am I doing something wrong? I'm playing with the airflow and that seems to be helping. However, I like a tight draw, and it seems I have to open a lot of airflow to dry it up a bit. Having a hard time finding the right balance.

Actually, while typing this, I just opened up the airflow all the way and it still seems too moist. Maybe that's supposed to be a good thing? It definitely has a lot more flavor, I just worry about swallowing liquid. It does tend to phlem up in my throat.

Any advice?

Butters80

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Boise, ID
I have a few 3.1 clones and love them. Getting the wick dialed in takes practice. I can recommend rip trippers chimney coil video for pointers. He shows how to coil and wick a regular microcoil and the chimney coil. It really helped me.
Other than that, what ratio of juice are you running in your tank? And what voltage are you running at?

Calla lily

Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Florida
I'm having the same issue with too wet vape. The first build I did was perfect but everyone since has the same too moist problem. I have done both Ekowool and cotton. No flooding or leaks at all, more like liquid being sprayed in my mouth along with the vapor. I don't like that as it's irritating my throat some and I can't vape as long as I think the extra liquid is delivering too much nic. I'm already low nic, 3 mg in the Kayfun right now.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
My too wet vape seems to have only been with a particular eliquid that was too thin. As I try different liquids, wicks, builds, it keeps getting better, but I haven't reached ideal yet. The 2 builds in the videos of the previous posts above have worked well. Next build I'm going to try rip trippers vertical chimney build.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
e5a9etah.jpg

What do you guys think of this build. I searched the net but haven't seen this type of build. I just did a 5/6 wrap, left a small gap, and another 5/6 wrap, then folded it over. 28 gauge kenthal. What I ended up with is a dual serial vertical coil at 1.8ohms. Could be neater, but first attempt. I'm gonna try it out and let you guys know how it goes. I might redo it before trying it to get it neater and closer to 1.5 ohm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
I fed a cotton wick through the bottom of the first coil, up and around, back down and out the bottom of the second coil. I vaped it, and it works, but still not so great. Vapor production and flavor is not where I want it. I took it apart after vaping it for a while to see how it is wicking, and the wick is soaked top to bottom. Put it back together, increased the voltage, vapor production is getting there, flavor is getting there, no dry hits. I'm starting to like it!

Anyone else tried a similar build?

Calla lily

Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Florida
I haven't tried anything like that. I'm still trying to master a simple coil. My last one was working fine, except for the moistness, lots of vapor. But then it just stopped firing. My vamo would still read the ohm (1.7) but would shut off when I tried to fire it. So I guess there was a short somewhere. I took it apart and it looked fine, so I don't know. But built a new coil. This one doesn't have the wraps touching (unlike the last one), 30 ga, 5 or 6 wraps (can't remember), wrapped around a toothpick, reading 1.5 ohm, with cotton wick. Seems to be working good, less of the wetness, so we'll see how it is after a bit. I have a lite+ and after the first tank (which worked perfectly), I lost the o-ring that goes on the fill screw. I've been using it without the o-ring and it doesn't leak at all. Juice in there now is 50/50 and the first tank was 70/30 so I don't think it's a thinness issue. I'll just keep messing with it till I figure it out.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Hey,

Just wondering if you managed to fix the 'wetness problem'?

I too have a kayfun 3.1 and am experiencing the same problem, pretty good vapour production but with a feeling that it is super-saturated. Flavour is there, but this wetness is kind of off-putting, feels like I might drown if I vape for too long...

Is it down to the airflow, as I guess there is a fine line between getting a nice airy draw and it not vacuuming enough liquid through to wet the wicks properly.

(setup is 30awg kanthal, 8 wraps {not micro coil}, cotton wool wick, 1.9 ohm)

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Actually, I only had that problem with my very first build. I'm now using rip trippers build (the diagonal coil). 1.5ohm 10 wraps of 28awg kenthal a1. Other than the fact that I'm now going through way more juice than I did with my nautilus, it's great. I also have been using my own drip tip since. Not sure if that had anything to do with it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digital_karma

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
manila, philippines
more like liquid being sprayed in my mouth along with the vapor. I don't like that as it's irritating my throat some and I can't vape as long as I think the extra liquid is delivering too much nic.
I also experienced this too when I overfill my kfl+ v2. what I did is I suck out all the juice and then tried to re-wick and fill the juice slowly at the bottom. problem solve, no more liquid being sprayed in my mouth. but still the vapor is not that great, maybe average compared to my cyclone.

Aptivus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
I don't if this helps but my experience with the kayfun clones has been a little different. I have 2 ehpro clones(3.1 and lite), neither one performed that great at first. The stove top coil gave me too many dry hits, the horizontal coil gave me juice wafting out the drip tip.... Problem was me using too much cotton. Shorter and thinner amount of cotton was the key, with a horizontal coil. Basically you want to be able to see the juice channels AFTER the cotton has been placed, if its touching the sides of the chimney, then wafting occurs.

YMMV, but I will say the absolute best clone I've tried is the HCigar version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Calla lily

Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Florida
I'm still trying to find a solution. I've tried more and less cotton, raised and lowered the coil, diagonal coil and horizontal, coil wraps touching and not, more air and less air, cotton just touching the deck and cotton laying across the deck (slightly better results laying across). Current build is 30g, 3/32 form (I think), coils touching, diagonal with cotton laying across, 2 ohms. I will once again be taking it apart today so I'll try to remember to take a photo before I pull the cotton. I get good vapor, just the mist and going through the juice too fast, I'm sure because of the extra mist pulled up. Sometimes it will start out ok (found this with the cotton laying across the deck) but after a while, back to the misty hits. I haven't tried Ekowool again. I have some hemp yarn that I may try today.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I have a few 3.1 clones and love them. Getting the wick dialed in takes practice. I can recommend rip trippers chimney coil video for pointers. He shows how to coil and wick a regular microcoil and the chimney coil. It really helped me.
Other than that, what ratio of juice are you running in your tank? And what voltage are you running at?

I wouldn't do anything Rip Trippers does if you're new to building.

I'd say that your coil is probably too low and may need to be raised, but it's hard to tell without seeing the build.

Follow this video exactly. It's easy and it works.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I'm having the same issue with too wet vape. The first build I did was perfect but everyone since has the same too moist problem. I have done both Ekowool and cotton. No flooding or leaks at all, more like liquid being sprayed in my mouth along with the vapor. I don't like that as it's irritating my throat some and I can't vape as long as I think the extra liquid is delivering too much nic. I'm already low nic, 3 mg in the Kayfun right now.

The Kayfun is susceptible to acting like a straw. If you start your inhale before the liquid starts to vaporize completely, you take primer pulls, or your don't inhale all of the vapor and liquid definitely starts to get in your mouth. It's very annoying.

When you notice liquid getting in your mouth you should take off the drip tip and clean the inside of it with a paper towel. I have to do it at least 3 or 4 times a day. It's just the nature of vacuum designs.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I also experienced this too when I overfill my kfl+ v2. what I did is I suck out all the juice and then tried to re-wick and fill the juice slowly at the bottom. problem solve, no more liquid being sprayed in my mouth. but still the vapor is not that great, maybe average compared to my cyclone.

Comparing the vapor in a KF to that of any dripper is fool's work. It's not designed to produce fog banks. It's designed for flavor.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
YMMV, but I will say the absolute best clone I've tried is the HCigar version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I have both the EHPro KFL+ v2 and the Hcigar KF 3.1 and I agree. The Hcigar is smoother and more consistent.

I favor the EHPro, which is also very good, though, because I like it's smaller profile, especially when matched with a nano kit and smaller top cap/drip tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread