Nautilus vs. Kayfun/Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_zullo

Jan 31, 2014
Plantation, FL USA
Hi, I own a Russian 91% but have heard a lot of good things about the Aspire nautilus. I was wondering if anyone though the nautilus is better than say a Kayfun or Russian. I realize one of the better things is that you don't have to build your own coils but was wondering about taste and clouds. I am not a cloud chaser, I just like good flavor with a nice throat hit. Thanks for the help. Mark

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
The Nautilus is a good clearo. When the cost of the replacement heads gets on par with others, it will be a great clearo.

That being said, it's not as flavorful, in my experience, as a well-tuned kayfun.

If you're getting a burnt taste, examine your wicking. If you're using cotton, you may have too much. Check one of the numerous kayfun threads, it's been detailed numerous times, much better than I can explain it.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Replacement heads for the Nautilus tend to be $3>. That, IMHO is a deal breaker for me compared to the Kayfun, where a 100' spool of kanthal can be had for about 7 bucks. I have tried the Nautilus, and as Steamer said, there is really no comparison.

Now, on to your specific issue. You haven't said what device you are using with that R-91. A coil at 1.4 ohm should work fine with most anything; and the Kayfun platform will perform admirably with anything you throw at it, provided it is wicked properly. Getting the wicking right is the biggest learning curve. Below is a pic of how I do it. Hope that helps...

IMG_0045.jpg

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
Replacement heads for the Nautilus tend to be $3>. That, IMHO is a deal breaker for me compared to the Kayfun, where a 100' spool of kanthal can be had for about 7 bucks. I have tried the Nautilus, and as Steamer said, there is really no comparison.

Now, on to your specific issue. You haven't said what device you are using with that R-91. A coil at 1.4 ohm should work fine with most anything; and the Kayfun platform will perform admirably with anything you throw at it, provided it is wicked properly. Getting the wicking right is the biggest learning curve. Below is a pic of how I do it. Hope that helps...

View attachment 333235

This is exactly how I wick my Kayfuns. I'm running at 1.18, and the flavor is peerless. Pretty good vapor production as well. One thing you may try is soaking the wick directly before putting the chimney on. Not to the point it runs, but just enough to soak it. Then assemble and then fill. That's what got rid of the burnt taste for me. Another thing, maybe adjust the chimney to allow for more juice flow. Thicker juices take a bit longer to wick through the juice holes if the chimney is cranked all the way down. Sometimes I'll do a dry hit or two to prime the wick again.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
The Nautilus is one of the best at what it is a fill and go tank. It gives decent taste with good easy to control air flow with enough juice to the average person going pretty much a day. I highly recommend it for people moving from a ego/twist type to a more advanced PV.

Now the Kayfun is a different animal with better taste but needs to be built to perform and not for most beginners. Now I have both and don't hesitate to take a Nautilus when leaving home for a day. Now if I had to choose one over the other it would be a Kayfun but then I would choose a good RDA to both.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
I've heard all kinds of great things about the Nautilus. I'm going to be ordering one myself soon.

Be careful on fakes now...make sure you buy it from legit vendor...when "deal sites" advertise Fasttech Aspire Nautilus (Box even says Aspire) as legit and forget to omit things like
"only one air hole,not 4 : i think it's a real one but badly made" from their discussion sites.

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
Thanks for all the info. I do get the wicks wet before I put down the chimney. I was using 80%VG but have now switched to 65%vg-35%pg so it won't be as thick. How long do the wicks normally last on the kayfun/r-91. I tend to vape a lot so maybe I need to change it more, but this time I think I have too much cotton in it.

You'll have to experiment with the thickness. I tend to change the cotton out every other tank full, as long as I'm vaping the same flavor, obviously. That's why I had to get two Kayfuns. I like to have more than one flavor available on em. They're a bit of a PITA at times. I tend to take it apart and clean it very often. I like clean gear.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Getting the wicking right is the key to the Kayfun/Russian. You can build all kinds of coils but if the wicking isn't right then it's not going to work well.

That's one of the reasons why I switched to Chimney Coils for my Kayfun builds. Chimney coils are far, far easier to wick. Basically once you get the coil built you just wrap the outside of the whole thing in cotton.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Replacement heads just dropped on Fasttech for $7 for a 5 pack. Cheap enough?

I use about 6 inches of Kanthal to make a coil. I buy 100 feet of Kanthal for about $10. That works out to 5 cents per coil.

I like my Aerotank. I'm sure the Nautilus is just as good and possibly a little better. But even the cheaper Aerotank looses out to a Kayfun in the long run when it comes to expense. You can get a high quality Kayfun clone for about the same price as the Nautilus and I got about 5 years worth of coils for $10 more.

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
Getting the wicking right is the key to the Kayfun/Russian. You can build all kinds of coils but if the wicking isn't right then it's not going to work well.

That's one of the reasons why I switched to Chimney Coils for my Kayfun builds. Chimney coils are far, far easier to wick. Basically once you get the coil built you just wrap the outside of the whole thing in cotton.

Would you please post a pic of that set up when you have a chance. I'd like to try it, but don't know what you're talking about.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Replacement heads just dropped on Fasttech for $7 for a 5 pack. Cheap enough?

Those are fake, Fasttech always states if they are authentic like with Kanger/Innokin replacements....it's even talk about in their discussion...then suddenly forum is going to be filled with, "my Aspire Nautilus has burnt taste...", "what gives..Nautilus sucks"
The coils are usually wrapped pretty bad or hot spots with overlapping wraps on fake Kanger ones.
https://www.fasttech.com/forums/1698501/t/1251395/authentic/1

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I will have to say the build on a kayfun makes all the difference when I got mine I tried many different builds they all had there down falls until
I found this one
Kayfun Lite Organic Cotton and Micro Coil Build - YouTube
I run mine on a Provari at 1.3 ohms and with this guys style build It has worked flawless for me for a long time now
I replace my wicks every 2 tanks so about 9 ml's I just can't say enough good things about this guys build :)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I bought the Nautilus just for giggles, it does give a fine vape, but 11 watts is about all she can take. For low watt users and non builders, she's a fine bdc atty. My Russian, well I vape her at 30 watts and yeah, the Nautilus runs in fear when challenged by the Soviet Threat from Germany. lmao

If you are having wicking issue with your russina/kayfun rba, one has either clogged the juice channels with fibers from the wick, or has not quite gotten their fiber density through the coil, or around it, depending whether its vertical or horizontal mounted. Or a combination of the two.

Plain and simple, to but the Russian down, need something like the Rose2, Magma, or Aqua to have any chance for a TVO.(Technical Vape Out)

Damn, frak me, just made up a new acronym, that'll confuse new members, TVO, what was I thinking. roflmfao!!

Vape long and Prosper!!!!

P.S.: the cat bites! ouch!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread