Nicotine and pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainne

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Houston
So...
I have 2 cats and given their obviously small body size relatively I'm a bit, admittedly probably paranoidly, worried about them + nic fluid.

Yes I know, don't leave it lying around, don't pet them with soaked hands, don't bathe them in it or refill their water bowls with ejuice instead, etc. I understand the commonsense stuff but I'm more questioning small doses. IE I wash my hands after refilling a cart but there's still a tiny bit of an oily feel, possibly petting kitty would not be the best of ideas? I know it wouldn't easily get past the coat in small volumes to even make it to the skin but they decide to lick my hand, boom.

Does anybody with any medical/vetrinarian training have any idea just HOW paranoid you need to be in this area? I realize the question is a bit silly but I don't want to risk them over something easily avoided by asking.

Thanks.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I've got two dogs that are barely six pounds, never any troubles and sometimes I just wipe my hands instead of soaping them down after filling. Just keep any liquids and supplies in a shut cabinet that they cannot get into and you should be good. Figure if you are vaping lets say 18mg per ml, a tiny bit on your hands would be a small amount. One probably hurts a small animal much worse when they are exposed to constant second hand smoke than a trace of eliquid on your hand.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
I am just careful when I handle the juice, washing hands & keeping stuff out of reach. There is a post in here where someone's puppy ate a bottle w/juice in it, it was taken to the vets but lucked out and did not die...
Maybe someone out there that is a vet can read this & comment on it?

There is also a post here about a puppy that chewed a bottle, foamed at the mouth, and was dead very quickly. PLEASE be careful with your supplies!!

I, personally, make sure and wash my hands before petting my cats and don't even let them stay close to my face when vaping. My lilac Persian doesn't weigh much and with the inherent breathing issues, it's not worth the risk to me. While I'm not terribly concerned with absorption through the skin from transfer from my hands, I do worry about them cleaning themselves and ingesting niquid.

Jan

Janetda

ECF Veteran
I have two small dogs and I've never had a problem. I'm usually in the kitchen when I mix my juice and I wash up with Dawn. There's never an oily feel after. I top off my carts frequently and have gotten juice on me and just wipe it off on my pants or a napkin. I've never had any kind of problem.
<knocking on wood>

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hi Ca,
I have 10 cats and 2 dogs and I do keep all my juices religiously put up where they cant get them but I pet my cats constantly after washing hands and see no signs of ill effects with any of the critters. I wash everything anytime I refill or DIY mixes. wipe everything up.

I wouldn't worry about touching them even if there was some residue left as long as you have at least used water to rinse your hands..

Tuesday

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
USA
I keep all my e-liquids in the refrigerator except the bottle I am using and I wash my hands before I pet my dog just in case there is any residue of the liquids on my hands. I keep my ecig itself on a high shelf when I am not using it. My dog is about 14 pounds so I have to be careful. I am so careful that I feel confident that my dog is safe. I am almost at the 7 month mark for being smoke free and my dog so far has shown no interest in the e-liquids, but I still take all precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread