DIY cost effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilpeach

May 7, 2014
WV
I have been toying with the idea of DIY. Especially since my last ejuice binge was over $100, and looking at what I got doesn't seem like much for the price. :( Have you ever tried one of those DIY projects and it turns out to be more expensive than just outright buying the vendor version? Happens to me frequently. Which brings me to the question, is DIY really more bang for your buck in the long run? How steep is the learning curve?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I spent $350 Jan 2013 for 2 liters of 100MG nic, 1 gallon each of PG and VG and a boat load of 10ml flavors.
This year, I've spent about $25 for a few of my favorite flavors.. and still have enough Nic/PG/VG for the next 2 years... being used by two people...

The two flavors my wife must have now and then that I don't make for her are Halo Shamrock and an Atomic Fireball. I've spent $88 for 2 bottles each this year.. 120 ml total.. Did 3 of each for her last year $132 for 180 ml total...

Yes, it's worth it!

Last edited:

lilpeach

May 7, 2014
WV
Thanks for the quick replies!

Learning curve? That was none for me because most of my mix is unflavored and only 1% single flavoring when I fill like it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I will be a flavor junkie, but out of curiosity what does unflavored taste like? lol, that sounds like such a dumb question reading it but I'm sure it doesn't taste like air. :p

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I have been toying with the idea of DIY.
Good.

Especially since my last ejuice binge was over $100, and looking at what I got doesn't seem like much for the price. :( Have you ever tried one of those DIY projects and it turns out to be more expensive than just outright buying the vendor version?
I don't try to replicate vendor juices. I go for my own creations.

Starting slowly, with single flavors, then blending them, means that I don't have to order to get the right ingredients for someone else's recipes. Now that I have a good selection, I can approximate others' recipes with my own substitutions. That said, I do have several of Mt. Baker's mixes of flavorings for some of my favorites.

Low nic helps me keep the cost down, as a 120 ml bottle of 48 mg can last a long time. I bought a gallon of pg at Tractor Supply, and buy 6 oz bottles of vg at wal-mart.

Which brings me to the question, is DIY really more bang for your buck in the long run?
Even in the short run, if you approach it slowly.

How steep is the learning curve?
As steep as you want it to be.

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I will be a flavor junkie, but out of curiosity what does unflavored taste like? lol, that sounds like such a dumb question reading it but I'm sure it doesn't taste like air. :p

Not really a dumb question at all. It depends on the nic base you are using and your PG/VG ratio.

It can be anywhere from almost flavorless and slightly sweet to harsh and peppery.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA

It taste slightly sweet to me with my mix at 60% PG and 40% VG.
And Double RY4 is the only flavor in 1% concentration that satisfies me when I want a flavored juice.

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix

It tastes a little weird to me, not bad but not pleasant either. I mix up some unflavored higher nic when I get a cold since I can't taste anyway.

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
Doing a few loose calculations this morning... I spent $190.34 for 10 flavors, sweetener, sour, PG, VG, & nicotine. Yesterday I made 427 ml about 90 ml of 4 different & 67ml of one flavor that equals 14.2 bottles.
If had bought them at my B&M it would have cost me roughly about $235.72. Yep... It's a huge savings!!

My order was for 10 4 oz flavors I have plenty of everything left over!
4oz yields roughly 20 bottles of juice
10 X 20 (30ml bottles) @ $ 16.60 (what my B&M charges) equals $3,320

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
In my opinion, it is definite worth the investment of time and money. My initial order cost me $112.00. That got me syringes, blunt tip needles, bottles, 500ml of 10% nicotine (should last me several years), 250ml of both PG and VG, ten flavors and some other little things that I have forgotten. I then went to WalMart and picked up a fishing tackle box for all this stuff plus the stuff I got for making my coils (about $40 for the tackle box and $6 for the coil wire, my wife makes jewelry so we had the other stuff necessary for wire coils).

I have been making our juice for about two weeks now and am ordering some more flavors ($1.39 each for 8ml), about $20 worth which includes another 250ml of VG.

I did the math on one 15ml bottle of juice I made and it came out to about 3 cents per ml, counting just the expendable stuff I used (the PG, VG, Nic and flavors as I reuse all the hardware/equipment). Local B&M are charging anywhere between .80 to $1+ per ml.

Plus, as others have said, it is fun. I have finally produced a juice I like better than any I have purchased so far; a Blackberry/Raspberry flavor.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I don't know that I've ever broke even or spent less mixing my own.

I started mixing because most vendor juices were pretty bad. Things have really changed in the pre-mix world since then. The flavor I wanted, when I started, took me 5 months and a holy ton of flavorings to figure out. But, I discovered plenty of good flavor along the way.

Now days I give away so much that mixing is my highest vaping expense. I gave away about half a liter of juice this last weekend....and I didn't even refill my oldest son or sisters supply, so that's coming up soon.

Never really intended to save money. Just wanted to make great juice that I genuinely enjoyed vaping. I've got what I was after, so whatever I spend is well worth it to me.

/\ the result of large fingers on a tiny phone's keyboard - using Tapatalk

BicStic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Switzerland
I made some calculations and it is costing me about $1.50 to make a 30 ml bottle of juice including a new bottle. I have been paying $15-20 for a 30 ml bottle of juice delivered. The only problem with DIY is that you purchase many bottles of flavors and at least half sits on the side unused because you do not like the flavor. If you can choose your flavorings wisely it will also save you money.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I have to say, I find it extremely cost effective. I was spending at least $100.00 a month on juice. And that would just last the month, had to start over again the next month. The start up cost was very high. It took awhile to really enjoy the long term savings, but I'm seeing it now. I know have more than enough supplies for who knows how long, and more juice made than I can vape in months. I won't have to buy another thing for quite sometime. And to be honest, the great recipes I found right here on ECF taste better than anything I ever ordered. Just be prepared to spend a lot to get set up, then enjoy the savings! Believe me, it's well worth the investment!

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
One thing is for sure, chasing flavors with diy is far less expensive than premix. I've bought at least $200 in premix that I basically wasted. Plenty of those flavors I bought samples first. It's weird that you can like something at first and quickly grow tired of it before a 30ml bottle is done.

I love the control. Never have to worry about running out or low. I keep a 1+ month supply on the shelf at all times. Mixing is pretty quick with perfected recipes. I can make a month supply for 4 people in about an hour. When I first started DIY I though I would need to break open the lab multiple times a week. It's ended up being twice a month instead.

Something that you can't really put a price on that is definitely worth something is safety. I know precisely what's in my mixes and I only buy the best ingredients.

lilpeach

May 7, 2014
WV
Thanks guys! Yall are super helpful :) I'm going to start planning DIY and try to get a game plan for next months vape budget. Another noob question though: How do you test your juice to know if you need to adjust flavoring? Because doesn't it need to steep before flavoring melds together? LOL This is the part that concerns me, and where I see myself wasting supplies. I've been trying to figure out how you concoct complex flavors on the fly :confused:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
DIY is the way to go to save money.

It cost me $0.038 per ml for end product being 12 mg/ml with 1% flavoring and $0.036 unflavored.

Learning curve? That was none for me because most of my mix is unflavored and only 1% single flavoring when I fill like it.

Yes, I Keep It Simple, too.

I like a little bit of peppermint in my unflavored, and sometimes add a drop or 2 of fruit.

No big laboratory set up in my kitchen, a drop or 2 of each in 10ml and I'm happy.

DIY can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. Some people love making recipes.

Your costs sound kinda high, mine are about 0.06 cents per ml.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread