Anybody start out with rebuildables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
So I had been wanting to quit cigarettes for a while, and was hearing a lot about e-cigarettes in general through media and friends. I knew that I wanted to give myself the best chance at quitting, so going all-in with top of the line equipment was the plan. I did some research online and from what I read it seemed like the best tank was the kayfun and the best mod was the provari. I didn't end up going with the provari because it didn't meet my need for usb charging, but I did get the kayfun. And after a few youtube videos on building it, I was wrapping some mean micro coils, and was extremely happy with the vape quality. I kind of spoiled myself though, the first thing I ever vaped was five pawns gambit in a kayfun. Oh well. Anyway, I can't be the only one who went straight to rebuildables, post your stories!

My first and only setup, yes I need a backup:

ICpKsEW.jpg

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
I'm afraid I was one of the many who spent a ton of money finding out what I wanted. So no, I didn't go straight to rebuildables. Glad I didn't though as it gave me time to learn about safety issues regarding batteries, coil building and testing, etc. Looks like you've got an MVP 2 there which helps with some of the safety concerns as it has built in circuitry to help protect against shorts, over discharged battery, etc.

Anyone wanting to go to a mech mod would be well advised to do a lot of research first as the safety nets built into regulated devices aren't there.

I will say this though, once I decided rebuilding was the way to go it only took me one failed attempt at a micro coil and then every coil has been good since then. It's not hard to build a coil, at least for me. I've read a lot of success stories as well from people who do not consider themselves mechanically inclined and they can rebuild without trouble. It wasn't hard to start but I attribute that to watching vids and reading what the more experienced folks had to say.

Welcome to the forum and vape on!

Last edited:

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
I also spent too much, but in my opinion, it led to a healthy collection for backups.

I commend you for starting with higher end equipment. Your attention to detail and research eliminated a lot of common problems and issues. Good job!

I would recommend studying battery safety and investing in a mechanical mod. You could go the route of the provari and get a vv/vw mod, or purely mechanical. The choice is ultimately yours however, proper battery knowledge and sound equipment is tantamount to this endeavor.

You're on the right track. Enjoy your setup!!

Sent from my XT1028

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
Thanks guys. I was looking at getting a mechanical mod, probably a nemesis and tobh. Would run it with VTC5s at about 15 amps max. Just for fun at the house though, as a dripper+mech wouldn't suit my lifestyle on the road. What I'm really looking for is an upgrade to the MVP but it's been difficult. I originally wanted a hana modz but I couldn't find one. I tried to pre-order the BC modz but paypal won't let me use AMEX. And I have some concerns about both of them, mainly the durability of aluminum and their finishes. So right now I'm waiting for something that's variable up to at least 20 watts, with provari quality, and USB charging. And such a thing does not exist. Maybe the provari 3, we'll see.

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
I looked at the VTR but it lacks USB charging and you need to hack off the ring to fit a kayfun. Plus it's ugly in my opinion, and only goes to 15 watts. If I wanted an ugly 15w device that I couldn't charge with USB I'd just get a provari :laugh:

Touche :lol:

You could also look into the innokin vv3. 101vape has the battery for 24.99(?) ish. It's tiny and doesn't have a high mah capacity BUT it has pass through, vv and vw. Again only 11w. My wife has one and it hits like an absolute train... Not to mention they're so cheap!

Sent from my XT1028

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
Yep that's an option for sure. Kind of funny, I only intended on using a $100 tank with a $40 mod until I could find something better and relegate my MVP to backup duty. But I haven't found something better (that's in stock) that fits my needs. I really like the ZNA with the new adjustable top cap, but it's never in stock and I don't have time to follow people on twitter and hit refresh on my browser to order one. And it doesn't have pass through charging... sigh. I might pick up one of the new hana clones coming out after the early adopters do some beta testing for me, and if they're junk I'll just order another MVP and an aerotank and call it a day.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
No I didn't jump right in. I'm just now getting into rebuildables and I still have so much to learn. But I'm wrapping my own coils now for my RDA and I'm getting a RBA so I'm taking baby steps. I've got a nemisis kraken clone coming, can't afford the 230.00 for the real deal but it's a start. So I guess you can say I'm taking little baby steps. I didn't know enough to start out wrapping coils. I'm still learning as I go. I guess some learn faster than others.

Last edited:

gtalpaz

Verified Member
May 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
Like you I jumped right in but went straight for mechs. I did have my local B&M build my coils on both the RSST (since retired) and Patriot (almost retired) for the first month or so until I was comfortable doing so myself. You should definitely get an ohm-meter if you haven't already done so - beyond reading resistance levels, it'll help you spot shorts, etc. I have a few DNA30 devices and those are nice for the built-in fail-safe mechanisms and the customizability. Still, a copper mech, quality RDA, and a fresh VTC5 will always be tops in my book.

Hi there, thanks for the great post.

I started vaping a few months ago and began with a Kanger VV and loved it. Recently got myself a K100 which I really like. I was about to attempt my first rebuild (igo w) but started reading the safety issues and second guessed my decision until fully-prepared.

I have ordered a Sony 1800 battery (green one)
A nitecore charger
And was wondering if I should get an ohm reader (black box).

Anything I'm missing? Any input would be fantastic!

gtalpaz

Verified Member
May 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hi there, thanks for the great post.

I started vaping a few months ago and began with a Kanger VV and loved it. Recently got myself a K100 which I really like. I was about to attempt my first rebuild (igo w) but started reading the safety issues and second guessed my decision until fully-prepared.

I have ordered a Sony 1800 battery (green one)
A nitecore charger
And was wondering if I should get an ohm reader (black box).

Anything I'm missing? Any input would be fantastic!

Definitely get an ohm reader. What device are you going to put your igo on? Keep in mind that unless you're going single coil, you'll have a tough time not sub-ohming your igo. Make sure to start out conservatively and don't go below .5ohm to start. What sort of wire are you going to use? 28 gauge is a great place to start and will serve you well across various rebuildables.

plant

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2014
socal
Like you I jumped right in but went straight for mechs. I did have my local B&M build my coils on both the RSST (since retired) and Patriot (almost retired) for the first month or so until I was comfortable doing so myself. You should definitely get an ohm-meter if you haven't already done so - beyond reading resistance levels, it'll help you spot shorts, etc. I have a few DNA30 devices and those are nice for the built-in fail-safe mechanisms and the customizability. Still, a copper mech, quality RDA, and a fresh VTC5 will always be tops in my book.

You hear stories sometimes about new vapers walking into b&ms and leaving with a mech mod and a dripper, was hoping there would be more success stories like yours!

Definitely get an ohm reader. What device are you going to put your igo on? Keep in mind that unless you're going single coil, you'll have a tough time not sub-ohming your igo. Make sure to start out conservatively and don't go below .5ohm to start. What sort of wire are you going to use? 28 gauge is a great place to start and will serve you well across various rebuildables.

Thanks for the reply. I have a K100 mod with the "green" SONY battery. That's as far as I have gotten. My next question was where to get a reliable OHM reader? i see some on EBAY (the black box brand) but they are $11 and I am scared that it is crapola.

I also see some "already made" wire and wick ensembles online ($3.50 for 50) but i'm not sure if they can be used with an atomizer like my igo-w. I do not have intentions of going below .5 ohm but would like less resistance than my store bought 1.5ohm's. I will definitley pick up some 28 gauge wire...any ideas on where the place to buy wire and wicks? Also, what is the purpose of the "rubber rings"?

Thank you - I love this site!

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
So I had been wanting to quit cigarettes for a while, and was hearing a lot about e-cigarettes in general through media and friends. I knew that I wanted to give myself the best chance at quitting, so going all-in with top of the line equipment was the plan. I did some research online and from what I read it seemed like the best tank was the kayfun and the best mod was the provari. I didn't end up going with the provari because it didn't meet my need for usb charging, but I did get the kayfun. And after a few youtube videos on building it, I was wrapping some mean micro coils, and was extremely happy with the vape quality. I kind of spoiled myself though, the first thing I ever vaped was five pawns gambit in a kayfun. Oh well. Anyway, I can't be the only one who went straight to rebuildables, post your stories!

My first and only setup, yes I need a backup:

View attachment 337199

Wow, I remember back in the day the toughest question on the new member forum was "what cartridge filler should I use with my Joye 510, or should I drip". I haven't moved on much:oops: So, that would still be a giant no, in fact even four years later I still haven't tried many setups. Still use 808 batts and egos with lil ol 510 drippers. TONS that I want tho..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread