Mech Mod Firing Problems - FastTech Copper Nemesis Won't Fire With Locking Ring Attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Firstly, on the positive side I have the Taifun GT cone with the private v2 which is working perfectly. Really amazing setup - so pleased with it. The black rubber 'o' ring on the bottom adjustable pin screw keeps slipping over the screw and coming loose. How exactly should this be fitted? I was having a problem with the copper nemesis not firing without taking the locking ring off but adjusting the top battery contact pin fixed this - new user error.

The Mixed stingray also seems to be working after I screwed out the adjustable pin on my Taifun GT a bit more but the button is horrible, crunchy and sticks frequently. Not happy with this button at all. Should I sent it back or can you suggest something.

Also my FT kayfun - one of the screws on the build deck will not unscrew no matter what I do. It just turns and turns but doesn't go up or down so I can't trap the wire underneath. Any ideas? Send it back?

Thanks! Hope you can help.

Attachments

• Copper Nemesis Locking Ring.jpg
    Copper Nemesis Locking Ring.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Firstly, on the positive side I have the Taifun GT cone with the private v2 which is working perfectly. Really amazing setup - so pleased with it. Other than that I seem to be having a hell of a lot of problems with the gear that has arrived.

However I can't for the life of me get the Copper Nemesis & Mixed Stingray to fire properly. The copper nemesis will fire if I take off the locking ring so I can only think that the locking ring is bigger than it should be meaning proper contact is not made with the battery. I'm using 18650 Sony VTC5 flat tops by the way. Here's the photo in case you don't know what I mean. It's my first day with mechs so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Other than that I'm pleased with the Nemesis too.

View attachment 338201

The Mixed stingray also seems to be working after I screwed out the adjustable pin on my Taifun GT a bit more but the button is horrible, crunchy and sticks frequently. Not happy with this button at all. Should I sent it back or can you suggest something.

Also my FT kayfun - one of the screws on the build deck will not unscrew no matter what I do. It just turns and turns but doesn't go up or down so I can't trap the wire underneath. Any ideas? Send it back?

Thanks! Hope you can help.

Are you using the tiny, very thin, beauty ring (smallest sleeve piece) on the mod? If so remove it and you should have a proper switch throw.

Regarding the kayfun, turn it upside down and try to turn/remove the bad screw, usually they come with a spare screw, try that one, if not or it doesnt work, open a ticket with FT. They have a place to return/ship to in the US.

For the stingray, completely disassemble the button and thoroughly clean it. Its then a good idea to apply a VERY light coating of lube/grease to the contact areas ie the center button shaft, inside the threaded ring and a bit on the rice pin. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE RICE PIN WHEN YOU TAKE APART THE SWITCH!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Several people have had issues with various releases of the Stingray. Hunt around, there are a few SWITCH FIX threads.

Nemesis - You are likely bottoming the switch against the Lock ring before it contacts the battery bottom(negative)
Remove the thin Beauty(kick)Ring and it should work properly. < the 2-3mm ring not the short 18500 ring>

Kayfun - screws are not SS on some so weak threads. Try a pair of side cutter pliers to put pressure under the screw head as you attempt to unscrew.

If it comes out and the threads are wiped, you can check the deck with the other screw - GENTLY
M1.6 x 3mm Stainless Screws for replacement.

Last edited:

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm not sure which is the beauty ring on my nemesis - I'm not sure I have one? I fixed the problem with the copper nemesis not firing without taking the locking ring off by adjusting the top battery contact pin. Just user error then?

Yeah I had a little read about the stingray - I did try cleaning it but doesn't seem to have made things any better. I've seen that tiny rice pin haha!

Thanks for the tip with the kayfun. I'm surprised it arrived like that - sheer bad luck I guess. I find it odd that the screw turns but doesn't go anywhere. In the past when I've seen this sort of thing the screw just won't turn as the top of the screw won't catch the screwdriver.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
The Nemesis comes with the following parts:
Lock ring
Top cap
Switch
Main body. Use for 18350. Has threads for lock ring.
18500/kick tube. Smaller extension tube. Add to main tube to use 18500 or 18350 with kick.
18650 tube. Larger extension tube. Add to main tube to use 18650 or 18500 with kick. (Use both extension tubes to use 18650 with kick.)
Beauty ring. Smooth like the lock ring. Only needed when the combination of 510 connector adjustment and battery size gets too long.

When you get the mod its typically assembled in one of two ways. Switch, main tube, beauty, both extension tubes, top cap. Or switch, main tube, both extension tubes, beauty, top cap.

Hopefully this will help you figure out where the beauty ring is.

Stingray switch trouble. I'll second the suggestion, disassemble and thoroughly clean. Polishing the inside of the hole in the threaded part and the corresponding part of the bottom that slides up and down inside that hole with fine sandpaper can help if the switch is still crunchy after cleaning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
@crxess Thanks, I took out the kayfun screw using pliers as you suggested. It must be the threading and possibly that the hole is too big. When I put the other screw into it it slides down without needing to be screwed in. Looks like the deck is no good

The FT Russian 91% arrived today - doesn't seem to fit on anything particularly well as the connector stem is very big. Fits on my MVP2 fine but not my mods??! So far not finding it as amazing as the Taifun GT but haven't tried my own coil yet. It whistles like a ..... too. The GT just rapidly floods your mouth with smoke so you don't even need to suck on it - amazing. Hits like a champ! I can see why the original cost £100 now but I don't think many would spend that kind of money without trying it first. It's the beast! I thought my previous setup was good as the mvp2 and evod outperforms so many others. Different class. So much more like smoking. Some people say these are difficult to set up but I just put in a microcoil and cotton wick which I pushed through the slots in the chimney bit.

Really liking the private v2 and nemesis. Not holding out much hope for the stingray despite it's beautiful looks. The nemesis with 2 magnets is so easy to press. I would install 3 so it'll stand up without firing but it's just so nice with 2.

@bsoplinger Ah, I found it - it was screwed so tightly into the 18500 ring I wasn't using that I thought it was all one piece. So anyway that wasn't the issue. Just needed to adjust the top battery connector pin. Is that normal?

Last edited:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
@bsoplinger Ah, I found it - it was screwed so tightly into the 18500 ring I wasn't using that I thought it was all one piece. So anyway that wasn't the issue. Just needed to adjust the top battery connector pin. Is that normal?
Yes. In fact that's the main complaint with the Nemesis. That an adjustment is needed with every battery charge. I have a pair of the same brand batteries (I always buy my batteries in pairs) bought at the same time and I need to adjust between them. I use 2 other pairs that don't have this issue but yes you'll be adjusting often most likely. Personally I do it in seconds and have no issue with needing to adjust.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Ah ok, thanks. Good there's nothing wrong with my nemesis then - just new to this mech mod game. I haven't been able to resolve my issues with the terrible crunchy sticky stingray button - it's terrible. I took it apart gave it a clean - didn't help. Applied vaseline - didn't help. Sanded down and reapplied - didn't help. Rice pin is the only thing left to try if i can find a small enough nail or something.

Have since lost the rubber o ring and spring for the connection pin of my taifun gt but doesn't seem to matter. Only occasional tiny leakage. Anyone know where I can get taifun spares (preferably in the UK). Can't say enough about the taifun gt clone and private v2. Might get the M16!

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Try to find a replacement for the rice pin that's as big as possible. That'll help stabilize the movement of the switch and help with the crunchy-ness. Suggestion: get a brass finishing nail that's just a bit too large, chuck it on a drill or Dremel and file it down to a working size.

Hoopie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks yal. I was so confused (still but less so now, lol). My mixed Stingray from angelcigs barely fits whatever battery I'm using and can not use a safety fuse. My new brass Nemesis from FastTech finally arrived and I had the opposite problem. Had to use a safety fuse and a magnet to stop battery rattle. The beauty ring looked like it was part of the top cap and I had to use sure-grip gloves to remove it after reading this thread.

Too bad it won't work on my Stingray.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
That seems to be a common problem with folks new to mechanical mods, especially the Nemesis clones which don't often come with directions. The beauty ring is often stuck tight onto either the cap or extension and they can't figure out why the battery just flops around in the tube. Then add in the sloppy manufacturing on many clones along with the slightly non-intuitive switch design and its trouble. At least if they end up here there are plenty of folks willing to help.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Yes. In fact that's the main complaint with the Nemesis. That an adjustment is needed with every battery charge. I have a pair of the same brand batteries (I always buy my batteries in pairs) bought at the same time and I need to adjust between them. I use 2 other pairs that don't have this issue but yes you'll be adjusting often most likely. Personally I do it in seconds and have no issue with needing to adjust.

What?
The TOP PIN never needs adjustment when changing batteries. The TOP PIN sets contact with the Atomizer Positive post. The Switch threads in more or less with different battery lengths.

I admit, I tune all my Nemesis Switches for Best look and keep the Beauty ring in place.
People keep saying the bottom Pin has to be fully tightened. Well that is not what Atmo said or intended from my research.
* If you can't keep track - keep it tight.
Pros

Extra tubes accommodate three battery sizes
Silver plated brass contacts minimize voltage drop
Adjustable center pin and switch eliminate battery rattle
Top cap doubles as an airflow control ring
Kick compatible

STINGRAY - Flip the Battery(button top) to Positive down. If it fires every time, you have the cupped firing pin and the battery insulation is interfering with it making contact.
(Don't try this while a kick is installed)

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You quoted this:

Then replied with this:

Understandable mistake :)

I haven't run into a problem swapping like batteries.............yet.(in the Nemesis) Sigelei 8W needs adjustment on EVERY Change:mad:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Yikes, completely missed he said top pin. You're right, that gets adjusted just once when you put the atomizer on for the first time to make sure there's a solid connection to the 510 connector of the atomizer, then all additional adjustment is at the switch.

Why do I keep seeing people saying to tighten the switch down all the way and adjust the top pin? That makes no sense at all.

Silvainus

Feb 3, 2014
USA
Yikes, completely missed he said top pin. You're right, that gets adjusted just once when you put the atomizer on for the first time to make sure there's a solid connection to the 510 connector of the atomizer, then all additional adjustment is at the switch.

Why do I keep seeing people saying to tighten the switch down all the way and adjust the top pin? That makes no sense at all.

People say that because over time that screw on the switch works it's way lose after use and a few battery changes. If you tighten it all the way down that will not happen. Like earlier stated you adjust the top pin to the atty and tightening the switch removes any battery slack. I own two nemesis ' s and use kayfuns, taifuns and numerous atties including different batteries which vary in size with no issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread