Status
Not open for further replies.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
Ohms my gosh! I just got my mod clones. Im using a 16500 sony high drain baterry in a panzer adjustable pins clone and nimbus clone clocking at .73ohms with both coils factory. The throat hit is god awful.

I got some pre wrapped 30g twisted coil 12 wraps in the mail and wonder if this will bring the ohms up and stop the TH? Other thoughts for using dual coils? I get that 2 coils cut the the resistance in half.

Any experienced nimbus builders can help me?

(first posted in mods but there doesn't seem to be any traffic-this might be a more appropriate area)

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
You should consider a lot of factors about throat hit not only in the resistance of your coils. first, what ratio of pg is your juice?second, how much nicotine does your juice have?

It depends. I have a variety, primarily 100% vg but also some 70/30 vg/pg and some 50/50. My nic strength is always 12mg.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
Is it just too hot of a vape? If the stock coils are too thin, that combined with the low resistance may be heating it up too much...I do build on a Nimbus, but I'm still pretty new myself.

I think so. I've since perfected, in my mind, my coils to a cool Vape. I now use a 13 or 12 wrap 30g microcoils and on the nimbus it always hits just about a perfect 1.5, whereas when I used my other coils that I could only seem to get up to 1 ohm it always hurt my throat. No problems any more!

trazzman

Apr 14, 2014
East Texas
Dump all the PG you can stand and search alex mundy magic coil. He has vids posted here and that coil I promise you is the end of all coil builds. Its a flavor monster, smooth as silk, and if you look at it closely you will see why. I dont know of another working coil that has as much surface area yet still fires quickly enough to not gunk up to high heaven. The next closest thing Ive found is using mesh which was great until I saw what Alex had came up with. Hes worked all the bugs out too.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
Dump all the PG you can stand and search alex mundy magic coil. He has vids posted here and that coil I promise you is the end of all coil builds. Its a flavor monster, smooth as silk, and if you look at it closely you will see why. I dont know of another working coil that has as much surface area yet still fires quickly enough to not gunk up to high heaven. The next closest thing Ive found is using mesh which was great until I saw what Alex had came up with. Hes worked all the bugs out too.

Ill check it out. So what ohms is he hitting? I can't sub ohm, it seems to hurt the Hell out of my throat.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle

do you build these? Those magic twisted ribbon coils are ridiculous! Like as in whoa! I do not have the tools or the patience or time for that but looks intense. And the holes for my posts on my clone are pretty tiny. When sitting 2 twisted coils I cannot get them to both to go into the center post out both sides since it effectively doubles the wire going through from both directions. This is 30g twisted. So I have to have them meet in the middle of the post and tighten the screw just so. So I can imagine those thick magic coils won't even go in one side.

He's also Vaping .80 with those and I can't tolerate the TH on a sub ohm. But very cool thanks fir sharing that.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Some of my cotton is boiled some isn't. Same results.

yep that's why I mentioned it... I boiled mine to and had been using it for a long time, it was great till I went low ohms, I was adamant it was something other then the cotton.... you can boil a ball of cotton easy enough in the microwave as a tester lol :) upto you

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
A few thoughts:

- I never boil my cotton. I use organic straight from the package. No problems with TH.
- Use at least 50/50 PG/VG.
- Don't bother with any fancy twisted wire coils - stick with a simple single wire - shoot for 1-1.5 ohms. We're trying to fix your TH problem, no need to introduce another variable into the equation.
- Don't over-drip or flood the deck of your atomizer.
- Very important - make sure that your coil(s) line up with the hole(s) in your atomizer cap. Don't raise your coil too high in relation to the deck. The lower the coil, the lower the TH. Not too low - obviously don't want the coil to actually touch the deck. Ideally, the coil should line up with the hole(s) both vertically and hrozontally.
- Don't pack cotton too tight in the coil(s). If the cotton is too tight it will not wick properly and may make your vape a bit harsh/dry.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
So are you saying the more pg the better or vice versa? At least 50 50 isn't giving me an idea which way to go. The only reason I had the twisted was when I was learning to build I bought some persons coils on ebay. I since use single strands exclusively so thank you for validating that. I may need to lower my coils so I will try that.

Update, I'm finding that I always have harsh throat hit first thing in the morning and after a few drags I'm fine. I'm wondering if I just try to tolerate the harshness of the lower ohms (not under 1) that maybe I will acclimate?

Thanks so much for the stellar advice.

I'm not a nimbus user but here's what I have found to work well. When I really started sub ohm vaping regularly I drilled out my air holes. This helps keep the coils in the proper heat range. Getting the hit you want is like a math equation. PG/VG ratio, nic strength, coil build/resistance, coil placement, wattage/voltage, airflow, and a ton of other factors. Placing your coils further from or closer to your air holes greatly effects TH. Even how you draw air through your pv effects the kind of hit you get. Keep experimenting until you find what you want. That's the beauty of drippers they are easy to experiment on.

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
I'm not a nimbus user but here's what I have found to work well. When I really started sub ohm vaping regularly I drilled out my air holes. This helps keep the coils in the proper heat range. Getting the hit you want is like a math equation. PG/VG ratio, nic strength, coil build/resistance, coil placement, wattage/voltage, airflow, and a ton of other factors. Placing your coils further from or closer to your air holes greatly effects TH. Even how you draw air through your pv effects the kind of hit you get. Keep experimenting until you find what you want. That's the beauty of drippers they are easy to experiment on.

Thanks for the input. I'm experimenting like crazy now....

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
So.. have you not tried washing just ONE of your cotton balls AGAIN? I seriously think a lot of people that are using cotton and getting harshness are totally overlooking the cotton itself, unless you use Japanese organic stuff as I do now! which doesn't need washing!

Ive only come back here to see how your getting on with it, but after reading your symptoms, they are the exact same thing's I was getting even down to the first hits in the morning

GL :D

Last edited:

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
So.. have you not tried washing just ONE of your cotton balls AGAIN? I seriously think a lot of people that are using cotton and getting harshness are totally overlooking the cotton itself, unless you use Japanese organic stuff as I do now! which doesn't need washing!

Ive only come back here to see how your getting on with it, but after reading your symptoms, they are the exact same thing's I was getting even down to the first hits in the morning

GL :D

So I used steralized unbleached organic cotton. And yes I have tried the silica or whatever it is called. Same issue. In fact I have it in my tank right now. But I will say I think the nic strength is actually the culprit most days. I'm not ready to go down to 6 but I plan to put some in my next order so I can test this theory out. And like I said, made sub ohms last night, with cotton, no throat hit yay with the same usual wick setup and nic. I refuse to switch out to the other wick permanently as I've read a couple studies that show trace fibers in the Vape output and I'm not chancing that junk boring its way into my lungs. Thanks for the input! Its all helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread