Status
Not open for further replies.

Zphinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Lauderdale FL, USA
Hello all EC members.

So I went the extra mile, and switched to the Provari Mini which out performs my Segeili by light years.

I own a kayfun 3.1 which is pretty awesome for taste, and I also have a nautilus tank system, which is ok but doesn't knock my socks off.

Now I have seen a Vicious Ant SS Kraken review on YT and I was like "wow" ... "Dual Coil", nice looking etc, my question that I am posting here today is to all those who really own a similar setup as I have in place and or own a Kraken and a Kayfun, and what do you think about each one of them?

1) Would you buy a Kraken having a Kayfun?
2) Why would you own both?
3) What is better on each device and where is each of lacking?
4) is the Kraken just looks or is it the technology in it vs the Kayfun?

Having that said, remember I own a Kayfun and was looking for honest feedback, please keep it clean and lets not start a Flame war :D

prek2phd

May 19, 2014
Fresno, CA, USA
I have owned a Kayfun 3.1 and it is an excellent atty, but I traded it for a Vicious Ant brass Kraken. Some might say that it was a bad trade, but I strongly disagree. I transformed the Kraken into a dual coil auto dripper and bored out the air holes to 3/32s. It blows clouds like nobody's business and the flavor is top notch. The main reason I made the trade was because I needed something to match my brass Origen. They make a SICK pair since the patina matches now. You cannot go wrong with either choice, but I find the Kraken to be more versatile and MUCH easier to set up.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I have both, I personally like the Kayfun better it has much better flavor IMO. I have used cotton eko and silica in the kayfun and always return to cotton. I have built the Kraken in SS mesh, eko, silica and cotton and I have used ss mesh with eko on top to insure no shorts ever. That said I still go back to cotton even on that unit. I do my wick a little different then most for the kraken as I let it into the hole, down into the chamber and let it wrap around the base a little, no tilting required. on top I leave a small cloud, I fluff up and then saturate. I use the clouds to drip onto to mix flavors. Most times I have peach in my kraken and I drip Mango in as it suits me. this lets me mix those 2 and also have then separate. The Kraken is a nice Atomizer it looks awesome sitting on just about anything. vapor production is great with a good build but doesn't IMO appear to be anymore then the kayfun. The airflow on a stock Kraken is very tight to very open I found no need to drill it out further. What I dislike about the kraken is it will leak if left on its side, I don't purposely do that. but sometimes it happens.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
I prefer the kayfun. I have the kayfun lite plus second batch. I absolutely love it. I did a lot of research on this before I bought. The link below is where you can buy the authentic one. I haven't used the kraken but I ironically was looking at it today in the vape store at lunch. It's much bulkier. I haven't personally used it so I can't attest to how it works in comparison - but I do know that I love my kayfun better than anything else I have ever owned and looks great on my provari.
They fixed a few things on this model like having the adjustable air control is nice. They also put orings on the screw to fill it so it doesn't leak like previous models. I've had mine about a month and a half and don't even pick up my nautilus tank that I bought 2 weeks before. This thing is a beast!

Vaperev Shop - Kayfun Lite

prek2phd

May 19, 2014
Fresno, CA, USA
I am running dual vertical coils. Quad twisted 32g and 10 wraps each. My Sigelei 20W reads the build as 0.7 ohms. I am using cotton wicks that run directly into the tank. Leave the negative wire on one coil a bit long so that you can refill the tank through the negative screw terminal. 14.2 watts is pure bliss. Leave the airflow alone. I was thinking about the Steamboy I modified last week. Do not drill the Kraken. It would be sacrilege.

Last edited:

prek2phd

May 19, 2014
Fresno, CA, USA
I am running dual vertical coils. Quad twisted 32g and 10 wraps each. My Sigelei 20W reads the build as 0.7 ohms. I am using cotton wicks that run directly into the tank. Leave the negative wire on one coil a bit long so that you can refill the tank through the negative screw terminal. 14.2 watts is pure bliss. Leave the airflow alone. I was thinking of the Steamboy that I modded last week. Do not drill it.

Zphinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Lauderdale FL, USA
Thanks so far to everybody on their input.

Now I have a Kayfun 3.1 and I see a lot of difference in behavior and feedback from people owning the Lite Plus.

Now to expand on my original question, Kayfun 3.1 vs Kayfun Lite Plus vs Kraken? Now I know that Kraken has some nice features and also a couple of negative things that the Kayfun does have.

I think if I can get my hands on a pre-owned Kraken that is affordable enough to check it out I will give it a swing to see where that compares to my taste and usage preference.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
I have the 3.1 and the KFL+ Second Batch along with a Fogger and Taifun..........so no Kracken but, I think the 3.1 kinda sucks compared to the KFL+SB. I don't know why but I had a lot of issues and the 3.1 is working with dual parallel (to the posts) coils but a single coil KFL+SB is better.

I like the Taifun better and didn't buy a Kraken based on reading here on the forum.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
Thanks so far to everybody on their input.

Now I have a Kayfun 3.1 and I see a lot of difference in behavior and feedback from people owning the Lite Plus.

Now to expand on my original question, Kayfun 3.1 vs Kayfun Lite Plus vs Kraken? Now I know that Kraken has some nice features and also a couple of negative things that the Kayfun does have.

I think if I can get my hands on a pre-owned Kraken that is affordable enough to check it out I will give it a swing to see where that compares to my taste and usage preference.

In my opinion, I don't think you are going to notice any difference in taste or vape in one versus another. That comes down to your build whether you build at low ohms or like me I prefer around 1.4. I can taste a difference between using cotton or ekowool - I prefer cotton wicks. I think everything would be subjective specifically to you. Which feels better in your hand? Which one is bulkier to you? Is one heavier than another?

From a perspective of functionality, I say do you research. I started googling "problems with Russian" and "problems with kayfun" which on google directly linked me to pages on ECF where people were voicing concerns. For me, that's how I chose the kayfun lite+v2 over the Russian. If you can't find anyone knocking the kraken like issues with leaking or airflow issues then it would probably come down to what looks better to you. In my research, I couldn't find any complaints on the kayfun v2lite+ so I went with that one and haven't really looked back. It does everything I want it to and perfectly. It's reliable from one tank fill to the next.

Good luck!

catmomma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
DC Metro Area
I have a Kayfun Lite + and a brass Kraken, I will also include the Taifun GT since it's one of my favorite toppers. So, of the three I like my Taifun best. It is super easy to build and with a micro coil and cotton wick the flavor is great. My Kayfun for some reason seems a bit fussier and the flavor is not the best out of the three. I have a chimney coil wrapped with cotton wick on the Kayfun and it wicks nicely, blows good vapor but flavor could be better. The Kraken is a genesis style atty, so there is a learning curve for setting it up. I have a dual micro coil set up and I have wicked with cotton, which is good, but now I wick with XC-116 which is a ceramic wick that's pliable like silica and that is fantastic for flavor and much easier to build with. To be totally honest I got the Kraken in order to match a brass mod, but I'm loving the experience.

SPBALLER

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
SAN FRANCISCO
I second the notion of loads of research. I have a KFL v2 (second batch) and I love it to pieces, the flavor is tremendous and the no hassle no leaks functionality is a big winner with me (pocketable without worrying about juicy legs and hands). However I will be getting a kraken based of the research I have done that has said it lends itself to bigger clouds, for me I'm willing to sacrifice a little flavor for more vapor production.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you come to. If you have local vape shops you may try going in and talking with some employee's, odds are with the popularity of these 2 atty's that you will find someone with personal experience with both atty's and you can ask them questions face to face, maybe even luck and get to try them both first hand.

Zphinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Lauderdale FL, USA
So after a lot of research and consideration, user feedback and thinking, I brought a Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone by EHPro @ 101 Vape for $39.99

I had a Kayfun 3.1 and the taste is incredible I have heard that the Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone by EHPro is even better then the 3.1.

The Kraken will be on my wanted list just for the kicks down the road, maybe XMas or something like that.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
So after a lot of research and consideration, user feedback and thinking, I brought a Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone by EHPro @ 101 Vape for $39.99

I had a Kayfun 3.1 and the taste is incredible I have heard that the Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone by EHPro is even better then the 3.1.

The Kraken will be on my wanted list just for the kicks down the road, maybe XMas or something like that.

All things considered , the chamber and chimney on the 3.1 and the KFL+ are one in the same , interchangeable , some of the EHPro KFL+ clones are coming with the airflow hole on the centerpost out of line restricting the airflow and requiring adjustment , be aware of this , the 3.1 is not prone to this due to the different centerpost design , but all things considered identical chamber and chimney with a identical build and airflow settings are unlikely to produce a different vape between the 3.1 and the Lite , the only other difference is the drip tip which is easily changed on either one , you basically bought the same lady in a slightly different dress ! :)

Zphinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Lauderdale FL, USA
All things considered , the chamber and chimney on the 3.1 and the KFL+ are one in the same , interchangeable , some of the EHPro KFL+ clones are coming with the airflow hole on the centerpost out of line restricting the airflow and requiring adjustment , be aware of this , the 3.1 is not prone to this due to the different centerpost design , but all things considered identical chamber and chimney with a identical build and airflow settings are unlikely to produce a different vape between the 3.1 and the Lite , the only other difference is the drip tip which is easily changed on either one , you basically bought the same lady in a slightly different dress ! :)

I guess I like the Kayfun better then the Kraken, and wasn't willing to deal with the leaking or mess. Also the clones I have researched are a little expensive and the feedback on those are not great. I don't like metalic wicks neither, the only thing that would interest me on the Kraken is the dual coil and the looks.... Now for looks and a dual coil and having to deal with the leaking mess of a top tripper I don't know if I don't know if I wanted to go through that.

Thanks on the honest feedback though

Zphinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Fort Lauderdale FL, USA
OK, so here is my review on the Lite+ vs the 3.1

the HCIGAR Kayfun 3.1 has a overflow tank which is nice. The contact point on the bottom of the device has a screw that can be adjusted to each and every MOD, which the Lite has but its just not screw that can be screwed out.

The Tank and modules on the Lite clone v.2 from Vapor101 is very hard to unscrew and or fill, which the 3.1 from HCIGAR Kayfun 3.1 is not.

The post on the lite is also slightly smaller and narrower which can cause mounting a coil onto it a little messy. Also the HCIGAR Kayfun 3.1 comes in a option with polished or mate, which the lite does not.

The Tank of the lite has to be filled from the bottom screw, which requires a special bottle or syringe, and the 3.1 does not you can easily fill from the top. The Lite due to the hard threats on the tank makes it a mess.

Also when unscrewing the top portion of the lite it has a tendency to unscrew the top portion of the chimney also... which can cause your coil to get messed up. This will not happen on the 3.1 after several month of use.

Well, there might be more, but that is just some of my observations on the 2 days old Lite vs the 3.1

Thanks guys and girls on all the feedback and advice.

railz4dayz

Jun 12, 2014
Duluth, MN
I have had multiple 3.1's and love them! I also used to have a kraken and it was beast! I feel I got better flavor out of the kraken. There is a wick called Ready-x wick. It is amazing! It wicks like a beast and is reusable. once you decide to rebuild it all you have to do is pull the ready-x out and torch it until its white again. the only down side to the kraken vs the kayfun is it is not as easily transported. I could thrown my kayfun in my backpack with a cheap mod when I was out on the motorcycle and didn't have to worry about a thing. Also 3.1's are nice if you work in the garage a lot because you don't have to worry about damaging or dirtying it being that its a clone vs an authentic. I do a lot of wrenching so I have a specific setup that I use when I am out in the shop.

If you are going for flavor, Kraken is the way to go IMO. If you are going for versatility and the ability to easily take it anywhere and not worry about it I say Kayfun.

So why not have both ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread