Antidepressant warnings on E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I was wondering how many of you found a warning telling you that those taking antidepressants should not use the E-Cig.
I have found this warning on one my own E-cigs and heard of others, but it’s not on every brand. I would really like to get people ideas as to what ingredient in E-Cigs they think may interact with antidepressants.
I don’t believe this warning is on other nicotine products, and my feeling is it’s another ingredient all together.
Any ideas? :confused:

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Never heard of it, stopping smoking real cigs can cause depression, but ecigs?
I have been vaping over 2 months and have had no problem and I do take an anti depressant so basically I think this is bunk LOL

I agree with you 100%. Many years on meds and found my use of e-cigs for the past 6 months (and no analogs) quite the opposite, very relaxing. One less thing to think or worry about (cigs).

:thumb:

ApacheChief

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
Never heard of this ether, is it possible to take a picture of the warning? Would be interesting to see the reason behind the warning if true.

Did a quick search and found many articals that say...
The fact that researchers are actually documenting the effects which support the idea that tobacco cigarettes may actually be a drug that smokers are using to treat their underlying chronic anxiety and depression. (See earlier post on the effects of Nicotine.).......

....If we assume that this is true, the antidepressant effect of cigarettes may be an effective way to treat the underlying
We propose that one effective alternative to the tobacco cigarette which delivers nicotine (thought to deliver the antidepressant component) in a safer fashion is the electronic non-tobacco cigarette.

Source: I cant post as I dont have 15 posts q.q

Google "e cig and antidepressant" 4th link down "what you should know.... link.

Its possible e-cigs would mess with anti depressants in a few people. But no more than the number that is already effected by smoking regular cigarettes I would think. Another words nothing to cause alarm unless you are on many different medications and sitting at a smoking bar would set you off.

ApacheChief

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
I think its one of those 1 in 50million poeple thing. A chance yes, but nothing to be concerned about. If you take multiple meds talk to your doctor. So many medications out there talking with a doctor that knows your body type with what medications your on would be better than a general statement on a forum. But because that small chance is out there they put the warning to protect themselves. People have made lawsuits out of less. Just a theroy though, don't quote me on that.

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
from ecigscrewdriver.com sd support/ e smokers talk / an intersting stop smoking story
ScrewDriver Support - ECigScrewdriver home of an E Smoking Icon
trog100
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM

an interesting stop smoking story..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

people who suffer from schizophrenia and take clozapine as medication...

for a long long time such people have smoked.. now for obvious reasons such people are being pushed into stopping.. something the doctors have turned a blind eye to for many years..

it seems the presence of "smoking".. they wont say nicotine.. affects the way a patients body handles the clozapine drug..

the doctors whos main job is to feed the patients chemicals and get the dosage right are in a bit of a tizzy..

patients in various stages of "stopping smoking" have messed up their tried and tested dosage patterns..

i found this out by accident the other day.. it seems if the patient stops smoking the clozapine dosage need to go down by 1/3..

also caffeine has the opposite effect.. if they stop drinking caffeine the dosage has to go up..

i know a schizophrenia sufferer who is also an e smoker.. the doctor ran a mile when i complicated his attempts at finding out how much his patient actually smoked... he he

i mentioned nicotine.. the doctor replied defensively "i never said nicotine" i said "what then"... he said we dont know and mumbling something about 3000 chemicals he scurried off... he he he

trog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread