ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
If i offend,
Im sorry.

Dont take me too seriously

////begin rant////

Since when is the APV forum a hotbed for people complaining about how their cloned ecig mod:

-wont fire
-gets a hot button
-atty stuck to topcap
-shocks them
-has terrible threading
-some parts dont even thread
-threads get bound together
-wrong components to function
-blah blah blah

Now look i dont look down upon users of clones. 4 of my coworkers use clones and i can look at almost all of them and know they are bad items. These are fastech items purchased for way too much at shoddy B&M stores however.

They perform, no doubt. They perform really well actually when they work. WHEN THEY WORK. My mods always work and when they dont...it is solely me causing a user error. These are authentics, assembled by the ppl who designed them, not some teenager in China who doesnt even know what a MOD is.

Okay of course your clone sucks. Its a stolen design made as cheaply as possible to sell to some sucker. Im not calling all clones bad because actually there are some really great ones out there. hcigar makes some stunning pieces. I want to buy a few of them just to try some new atties out.

I see it like this: that there is one good clone for every 5-6 crappy ones. IMO

I DONT look down on clone users. I just told you i want to try some out! Hey man, buy whatever you can afford that keeps you off cigs and gives you pleasure. If it were me id buy a smoktech magneto or a similar devce and save up for a mod i really wanted. But if that stingray or nemesis clone gives you happiness...more power to ya.

It goes like this:

"The nemesis mod sucks because MAN this switch is crunchy!"
"Really? But my nemesis has a buttery smooth switch"
"Well mines a clone but man the nemesis sucks"

ENOUGH ALREADY.

Stop clogging this great subforum with clone issues and let other topics stand a fighting chance.

Better yet...use the search function. 99% of the time someone has postsd an identical thread about an identical issue. Its true! I swear!

Vape on people, vape on.

This thread was meant to be very tongue in cheek. If i offended you...i apologize. I didnt mean to. At the same time tho....deal with it!

Love you guys...

/////end rant//////

Northern-Lights

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2014
Oregon
A #cloneproblems sub forum may be beneficial. I think it comes down to the manufacturer of clone, infinite, hcigar, and tobeco to name a few, work very well and are an affordable in to unregulated vaping, but a no name clone from fasttech, ebay etc will likely not outlast my magneto. Since working at a vape store Ive started to see why authentic is just better, lots of small little things that go wrong on clones are not present on authentics, and for me at last, i did the math, and after spending about 170 on clones that have came and went, why not buy a signum, vanilla, neptune etc?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The reason you see complaints is simple:
People jump on the lasted fad quickly around here.
The latest mod gets huge praise before a dozen have been made.
This doesn't lend to accurate reviews.
People here want badly to have the first or only.
This is not the way to get a quality product.

It's not clones.

I repair mods at my local shop. No mod is perfect.
User error is half the issues.
Lack of knowledge is what causes most problems.

People
Should slow their rolls and wait for more reviews or expect to be the one who works out the bugs.

remember the Origen-Aqua hype?
soooo popular....until we got them.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
The reason you see complaints is simple:
People jump on the lasted fad quickly around here.
The latest mod gets huge praise before a dozen have been made.

This is absolutely true.

I have 5 clones (Hcigar Brass Stingray, Hcigar 69, Hcigar Caravela, Infinite Tree of Life, Infinite Black Copper Stingray). The only clone that doesn't function just as it should is the Infinite BCS. The switch is janky, though it does work just fine if you press the switch on center every time. They all hit fantastically.

The one thing I absolutely avoided was buying Fast Tech clones. I refused to go with the absolute cheapest MOD I could find for a given model. I knew that Hcigar and Infinite has a good reputation for making good clones (I'd put my Infinite Tree of Life up against the original any day - and yes I have inspected and used both side by side: there is no difference I could find). It's fantastic.

I have 3 authentics (GP Custom Akuma, Vape Sirs Sir Lancelot, Atmizoo Roller). All 3 of them are virtually flawless.

Clones (and authentics for that matter) are a case by case basis. Some are very good, some terrible.

The big problem that the OP sees, and I would concur, has nothing to do with clones, but with lazy posters who won't search for 5 minutes to find the answer they seek.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
The one thing I absolutely avoided was buying Fast Tech clones. I refused to go with the absolute cheapest MOD I could find for a given model. I knew that Hcigar and Infinite has a good reputation for making good clones (I'd put my Infinite Tree of Life up against the original any day - and yes I have inspected and used both side by side: there is no difference I could find). It's fantastic..

Just FYI - the FastTech TOL is the Infinite clone. (And yes, I have heard it's very good - I have an original TOL and it's far and away my favorite of my 3 authentics.)

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
Coelli...you know i just recently passed my Tree of Life authentic along to another lucky vaper.

The level of machining precision that went into that device is mind blowing to me. Probably the best threading and fit and finish i have ever see in a mod. I didnt like the switch too much, but nonetheless those mods were handmade by a guy named Harry in SoCal.

This guy has machined his whole life and pours his heart and soul into this mod for months and hand machines them individually. Perfect machining top to bottom. How can a clone made on a factory floor POSSIBLY compare to this one of a kind piece? It simply cannot. Even given perfect circumstance...the level of work put in just isnt the same. You cant produce that quality unless you are the original maker. Its just not possible and i doubt anyone can argue that.

That is where corners are cut, lesser materials used, etc etc etc.

The passion and caring about quality are what set originals and clones apart.

Love the feedback! Keep it comin!

And alwAys...research before ya buy!

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Just FYI - the FastTech TOL is the Infinite clone. (And yes, I have heard it's very good - I have an original TOL and it's far and away my favorite of my 3 authentics.)

I can say the same about the TOL from fasttech..I bought on whelm....it's very nice for a clone..I'm so confident in it that I will pass onto buddy who is starting out on mechs and I don't want him to have ....y issues.

As somebody else said..people rather get quick solution instead of researching the issue on their clones here on ECF...I can ignore the question or just help them if I can.

I do understand Cearamm point...put a sticky thread on Nemmy clones troubleshooting, nobody will read it, battery safety, nobody reads those...cleaning your mechs, nobody will read it..

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
I've typed out my thoughts and backspaced a bunch.

Cliff notes: i'll spend $20 on a clone that works over $200 mod anyday at this point in my vaping experience. I don't think of mod's as "art" like some ppl. I'd actually prefer something as simple as the JM tube.

before i get bashed: I've had an original gus telescopic (it was worse than clones) and a 0099 serial number EA mod which was good but broke

I'd like more clone discussion because 1. more people have them and 2. some of the originals are too difficult to get that threads about them are for such a small audience

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Offend me?
Nope, not likely you could.:)

Waste my time like many of the ones your rant is about, Yep.

A pointedly pointless post about pointless posting is still pointless.:laugh:

Also, to clarify my stand on both original and clone mods - There are good and bad in both. There are issues with both, not identical but nothing is really perfect - nothing.
The biggest fault I have seen in most mods is the user.:D

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass

Yes, it is.

That's a very rare case though.

I'm talking about the $12 Nemesis clones that are everywhere on FT.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Coelli...you know i just recently passed my Tree of Life authentic along to another lucky vaper.

The level of machining precision that went into that device is mind blowing to me. Probably the best threading and fit and finish i have ever see in a mod. I didnt like the switch too much, but nonetheless those mods were handmade by a guy named Harry in SoCal.

This guy has machined his whole life and pours his heart and soul into this mod for months and hand machines them individually. Perfect machining top to bottom. How can a clone made on a factory floor POSSIBLY compare to this one of a kind piece? It simply cannot. Even given perfect circumstance...the level of work put in just isnt the same. You cant produce that quality unless you are the original maker. Its just not possible and i doubt anyone can argue that.

I WILL argue that. There is a chance that there are issues with some of the ToL clones that came off of the assembly line (typical QC issues), but I can say that I couldn't find a difference between my clone and an original. Side by side you could not tell the difference. The threading was equally as good. The engravings were equally as good. The materials were equally as good.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

(continuing derail...)

I have 3 authentic mods, all made in SoCal, which is where I live. I just can't really bring myself to order a copy from China when the originals are made here in my hometown (and I've met the Surefire guys - they're very nice). I'd rather have less mods. That said, I know not everyone can make the decision to put the money down for an original.

But I also come at it from an artist's perspective; I sell most of my art, and use photographs for reference but only photos I've taken myself or have permission to use. If I knew that someone had printed off really high quality copies of my artwork to sell at a profit to people who don't want to buy the originals, you can bet I would think it sucks and be more outraged than flattered. Sure, I'm just using paper and pencils, but there are a lot of hours and work that go into those pieces of paper.

So I don't buy clones.

And to get back on topic... yes, it sucks when I need to look up some info about my King and all I can find is talk about the clones. :)

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
I think it depends on the authentic you are talking about.

I have yet to see a clone of anything that approaches Super-T's level of finish.

While I don't buy clones, I have seen nice ones.

I have certainly seen authentics that weren't worth the money.

On the whole, though, I think that alot of clone fit and finish issues are glossed over in the whole "it's only cost ___" part of the subject.

Sure, maybe authentics are only 20% nicer. But it's an exponential scale in anything - the higher up you go in the last 20%, the more it costs per percentage point.

What I don't get is that a lot of clone buyers think that authentic buyers look down on them, regardless that no one has - and then proceed to bash the crap out of authentics.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Yes, it is... I'm talking about the $12 Nemesis clones that are everywhere on FT.
I have 4 different models of Nemesis clones from FastTech, all of which took less than 10 minutes to polish the switch, remove spring and replace with magnets and add a shim on the switch screw to reduce the throw. They're great. Work fine. Worth every penny of the less than $25 I spent on any of them.

So it isn't that FastTech sells junk, which they occasionally do, but what's been mentioned in this thread a few times already.

Granted the forum search function isn't very good but just from the overwhelming quantity of posts seems folks nowadays feel so entitled, so self important that they want answers now, immediately, with no effort expended on their part to get a solution themselves.

I've posted on a forum, in another area of interest besides e-cigarettes, where after you provided the title of your new topic, the forum software provided you a list of topics that the software determined were similar to yours. You had to then select a none of these are similar option before you could enter the text of the post itself.

I think that'd be useful for ECF. Since so many people don't seem willing to search, force it for every new topic. Since ECF has ranks based on number of posts perhaps they could even set it up that only those with less than some number get the auto search method.

I honestly don't think anything else will help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico

DocHo11idaze

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Cali
This is absolutely true.

I have 5 clones (Hcigar Brass Stingray, Hcigar 69, Hcigar Caravela, Infinite Tree of Life, Infinite Black Copper Stingray). The only clone that doesn't function just as it should is the Infinite BCS. The switch is janky, though it does work just fine if you press the switch on center every time. They all hit fantastically.

The one thing I absolutely avoided was buying Fast Tech clones. I refused to go with the absolute cheapest MOD I could find for a given model. I knew that Hcigar and Infinite has a good reputation for making good clones (I'd put my Infinite Tree of Life up against the original any day - and yes I have inspected and used both side by side: there is no difference I could find). It's fantastic.

I have 3 authentics (GP Custom Akuma, Vape Sirs Sir Lancelot, Atmizoo Roller). All 3 of them are virtually flawless.

Clones (and authentics for that matter) are a case by case basis. Some are very good, some terrible.

The big problem that the OP sees, and I would concur, has nothing to do with clones, but with lazy posters who won't search for 5 minutes to find the answer they seek.

How is the akuma? I'm considering pre ordering the second batch as it's the sexiest mod I've seen. The black copper one though most likely. Shoot me a pm if you could please, don't want to clog this thread up, just a few questions for ya. Thanks

weinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2012
ohio :-(
The problem is that there's to many people vaping who can't even use a screwdriver. Mods were never made for people who don't have some basic knowledge of things in the world work. Now that vaping is the "in thing", there's an abundance of young adults who would have a difficult time naming all the tools in a simple tool set, let alone troubleshooting mechanical and electrical problems. Most high-end mods usually work on arrival but I've never had one that that didn't need one thing done to it here and there. Now China stuff is out and that's mostly what the collage kids can afford with whatever their source of income may be, and the clones have a low QC and very small amounts of testing on final product. So clones need way more attention during it's lifetime.

What I find totally ridiculous and historical is that over in the RBA subforum there's about one hundred kfl threads. It's a joke, and the mods here at ECF let it happen. They're to busy cracking down on people for typing words that they have banned on a website made for grown adults because some biblethumper's wife will find it offense when she goes snooping around in his computer history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread