FDA FDA regulation/ban buster

Status
Not open for further replies.

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
I was given a few of these nicotine packets and I used them on my recent flight.
I used 2 of them in water, a few times ( long flights) and they worked very well.

Aqua-tine | Homeopathic Relief from Tabacco Cravings

I had a small cheap E-cig, if needed, to stealth vape.

The FDA regulates homeopathic differently than other products which is how I suspect
a nicotine product like this is sold.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I was given a few of these nicotine packets and I used them on my recent flight.
I used 2 of them in water, a few times ( long flights) and they worked very well.

The FDA regulates homeopathic differently than other products which is how I suspect

Wonder if you could vape it :D

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Does it have a good throat hit when swallowed?? I don't see how this product will solve the FDA Regulation/Ban issue as implied in the title of the thread.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have been doing my homework, homeopathic dosages are based on ratio's and I do not think the mixture is concentrated enough to effectively vape, although it would be better than a zero nic.
I like these because I can use my mod and then when I am somewhere I can't use it I can use these packets.

I was joking of course, but I wonder if they have pg or vg as a base. Thanks for posting... I use snus while flying but this may be an option.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Reason why Aqua-tine considered to be a Homeopathic:

Why is Aqua-tine a Homeopathic drug?

Aqua-tine meets U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements for over-the-counter (OTC) homeopathic drug products. Aqua-tine contains active ingredients that are listed in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States.

Aqua-tine: FAQs | Alternative to Smoking

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
So basically by changing the ingredient's name from the common designation, "nicotine", to the HPUS designation, "Nicotinum", you now have a homeopathic drug rather than a tobacco product (as defined by the proposed FDA deeming), even though we're still talking about the same chemical compound known by its IUPAC designation "(S)-3-[1-Methylpyrrolidin-2-yl]pyridine". I still don't see why eliquid cannot fit the same description with a minor labeling change as shown above.

Here's some interesting FDA and HPCUS debate in relation to a product very similar to that linked by the OP:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/dec03/120903/01p-0572-c000011-01-vol3.pdf

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So basically by changing the ingredient's name from the common designation, "nicotine", to the HPUS designation, "Nicotinum", you now have a homeopathic drug rather than a tobacco product (as defined by the proposed FDA deeming), even though we're still talking about the same chemical compound known by its IUPAC designation "(S)-3-[1-Methylpyrrolidin-2-yl]pyridine". I still don't see why eliquid cannot fit the same description with a minor labeling change as shown above.

Here's some interesting FDA and HPCUS debate in relation to a product very similar to that linked by the OP:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/dec03/120903/01p-0572-c000011-01-vol3.pdf

hehe, read that yesterday.... interesting.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

It has nothing to do with the name of the active ingredient.

Remember that homeopathy is basically dilution with some hocus-pocus "succussion" thrown in. This product claims 7X dilution for nicotine, which means you start with a 10% solution of nicotine/water (I think), succuss (shake) it, take 10% of that solution and dilute it in water (so now a 1:100 ratio), succuss, do it again and again a for a total of 7 times. In the end, you end up with a 1:10,000,000 nicotine/water solution.... a few molecules of nicotine if you're lucky.

So, you could follow the same dilution process using PG/VG and have "homeopathic eliquid". Or, you could vape zero-nic and save the hassle. :laugh:

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
To confirm, while the Aqua-tine packets do provide a nice nicotine buzz when mixed in a drink they are
not effective when loaded into a mod.
I had no expectations, but figured why not try. Nothing fancy, I just mixed it 50%/50% with PG and no flavoring.

It is just a matter of volume, the 2 packets I put in my drink was almost 5ml where as the amount per vape
is only a small fraction of that.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A homeopathic remedy is an extreme dilution of a toxin, the idea being that if something is harmful to you, you will be protected from it if it is administered to you in a very miniscule amount. This is accomplished through successive dilution, as described above by Endor:

This product claims 7X dilution for nicotine, which means you start with a 10% solution of nicotine/water (I think), succuss (shake) it, take 10% of that solution and dilute it in water (so now a 1:100 ratio), succuss, do it again and again a for a total of 7 times. In the end, you end up with a 1:10,000,000 nicotine/water solution.... a few molecules of nicotine if you're lucky.

The end result is also known as containing "trace amounts" of nicotine.

As a homeopathic medicine, the FDA "does not evaluate the remed[y] for safety or effectiveness," according to the NIH. So basically they qualify it as "homeopathic" and nothing more. The reason the FDA doesn't actually regulate it is because there's nothing to regulate. As I've said in other posts, if a substance is found in "trace amounts," it has the same effect as if it were not there at all.

Then why does it work? There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect... which is how all homeopathic remedies work.

Last edited:

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
I was given 20 of these packets and the effects are real not a placebo.
I looked up the dosages, the Nicotinum content is 1 part per 1,000,000 and 1 per per million of 2.4 ml is a placebo effect number.
However it is the other ingredient Tabacum which is 3X or 1 part per 1,000 that I believe supplies the noticeable nicotine feeling.
In short Nicotinum is nicotine but Tabacum has a nicotine content just as tobacco has a nicotine content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread