Weight Gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
I gained 8 pounds quickly when I quit smoking in June. I started smoking again in December and smoked for a couple of months ( like 10 ish a day). I now have not had an analog in 3 weeks and have seen no gain. I must say though that I exercise at least 4 days per week. That made no difference in June though. The 8 pounds came quick and I have yet to get them off! lol

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm no expert, but I think that the weight gain comes from the fact that nicotine is an appetite suppressant. You stop the nicotine intake, you get hungrier. You snack. You gain weight.

Being aware of this is half the battle... and fight the hunger. Suck hard candies instead of eating a bar of chocolate. Eat popcorn instead of a bag of chips.

Smart choices... that's what it's all about.

I've actually managed to lose 35 pounds in 6 months, and I'm hypothyroid... so I have a tendency to gain weight.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I'm no expert, but I think that the weight gain comes from the fact that nicotine is an appetite suppressant. You stop the nicotine intake, you get hungrier. You snack. You gain weight.

Being aware of this is half the battle... and fight the hunger. Suck hard candies instead of eating a bar of chocolate. Eat popcorn instead of a bag of chips.

Smart choices... that's what it's all about.

I've actually managed to lose 35 pounds in 6 months, and I'm hypothyroid... so I have a tendency to gain weight.

Wally my man!!!! LOL Good for you on the weight loss! That's awesome. I've just always heard it's not just the eating that makes you gain weight when you quit smoking, it's the nic that speeds up your metabolism and without it you will automatically gain weight no matter what you eat. Who knows!

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I gained 8 pounds quickly when I quit smoking in June. I started smoking again in December and smoked for a couple of months ( like 10 ish a day). I now have not had an analog in 3 weeks and have seen no gain. I must say though that I exercise at least 4 days per week. That made no difference in June though. The 8 pounds came quick and I have yet to get them off! lol

Queen, I love your siggy of your boogie woogie. LOL Funny! :D

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
About says:

Nicotine and Insulin

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Have any of you gained weight since stopping the analogs and just doing vaper? Is it giving up the nic that makes people gain?

No weight gain & no change in lifestyle..been vaping 7 months now..I started at 11mg , had to go up to 18mg to really stop analogs..and slowly diluted down to 4-7mg juice for the last month with no change in hunger..
I hope when I hit 0 nic..nothing changes..;)

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Wally my man!!!! LOL Good for you on the weight loss! That's awesome. I've just always heard it's not just the eating that makes you gain weight when you quit smoking, it's the nic that speeds up your metabolism and without it you will automatically gain weight no matter what you eat. Who knows!

Well, yes and no. If you cut your caloric intake, you should balance out. You don't have to eat less... just healthier. OMG, did I just say that? I don't consider myself a 'healthy' eater, but I try to make better choices... as I said earlier... popcorn instead of chips, hard candy instead of chocolates. You can still have the satisfaction with a lot less calories.

[edit] And if you get into mixing your own flavors, you can kill two birds with one stone... you can see some of my recipes in other threads, but I've been experimenting with various 'sweet' flavors (no sugar in them) like chocolates, strawberries, coffees, mints, etc. I get the smoking sensation and the sweets cravings taken care of at the same time.

Last edited:

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
IMHO one of the main reasons that people gain weight after giving up smoking is due to them nibbling, comfort eating & or sucking sweets to compensate. You just don't need to do either when using the e-cig :)

For sure! That wasn't the case for me. I ate rice cakes and fruit and still gained weight when I quit analogs in June. LMAO Seriously, I ate more than that, but really watched it and it made no difference. Oh well. I am healthier and feel better. That's for sure. I have seen no difference since vaping though. No gain at all. I actually lost a pound.:D

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009

oh really Mr. Walrus????

that's right, blame the absence of the nicotine.
clever, very clever. you're a sly one aren't you?

well i'll say then what everyone is thinking.
it's you Mr. Walrus. you and your delicious recipes you keep posting here. you're the responsible party. filling our minds with delicious flavors, making our mouths water until we can't resist the urge to sneak off to the kitchen.

who's paying you Walrus, who? clothing manufacturer's, fast food franchises, confectioner's, ben and jerry? admit it, you're a hired gun for betty crocker aren't you?! don't lie Walrus!!! we'll find out who you're working for!
ADMIT IT!!!

damn, almost spilled my cherry garcia :oops:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
oh really Mr. Walrus????

that's right, blame the absence of the nicotine.
clever, very clever. you're a sly one aren't you?

well i'll say then what everyone is thinking.
it's you Mr. Walrus. you and your delicious recipes you keep posting here. you're the responsible party. filling our minds with delicious flavors, making our mouths water until we can't resist the urge to sneak off to the kitchen.

who's paying you Walrus, who? clothing manufacturer's, fast food franchises, confectioner's, ben and jerry? admit it, you're a hired gun for betty crocker aren't you?! don't lie Walrus!!! we'll find out who you're working for!
ADMIT IT!!!

damn, almost spilled my cherry garcia :oops:

Lol. I've been discussing in a different (more appropriate?) thread possibly starting a series of "Dr. Jekyll meets Rachael Ray" home 'cooking' videos. I don't have a video camera at the moment... so whenever (if-ever) I stop (or pause) buying ingredients I'll look into it. Lorann's and Totally Wicked should sponsor me :)

[edit] right now I'm digging a chocolate-strawberry-coffee-vanilla cream thing I'm working on and haven't named yet.

Last edited:

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I've been nothing but a menthol smoker so I don't know if I'm going to like the flavor stuff. My main concern is getting off the analogs so I think that just starting with the TW menthol flavor 11 mg I HOPE I can do that. Once I know I can do without the analogs, I'll start into some flavors and things. All I know is this e cig stuff is the ONLY thing that has ever gotten me excited and motivated to thinking I can really do it and get off the analogs. I do so hope that I like it. I'm nervous and excited.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I've been nothing but a menthol smoker so I don't know if I'm going to like the flavor stuff. My main concern is getting off the analogs so I think that just starting with the TW menthol flavor 11 mg I HOPE I can do that. Once I know I can do without the analogs, I'll start into some flavors and things. All I know is this e cig stuff is the ONLY thing that has ever gotten me excited and motivated to thinking I can really do it and get off the analogs. I do so hope that I like it. I'm nervous and excited.

I've been a Menthol smoker for years. Newports, Kools, Marlboro Green, most recently Camel Menthol. My first order (when I got my first e-cig) included TW's Menthol 24mg. It's really good, and every now and then I load some up. It's just that with all the possibilities, it's not hard to find other things you'll love too.

When it comes down to it, you can make your own 0 nic menthol with crystals that readily disolve in the liquid of your choice.

youngorboy

Nov 11, 2008
Central Oregon
IMHO one of the main reasons that people gain weight after giving up smoking is due to them nibbling, comfort eating & or sucking sweets to compensate. You just don't need to do either when using the e-cig :)

I totally agree, I think most people who quit cold turkey come up with other ways of filling the void left from quitting. Most of the time its filled with food. When you have an e-cig you can replace the habit, and effectively fill the void.

dc32

Feb 9, 2009
USA, New Jersey
I gained 20 lbs in a few weeks after quitting the first time (cold turkey)

When I quit the 2nd time (with the nic gum), I only gained a few and then ended up losing some weight (probably because of the bad taste that gum leaves, don't ever want food right after)

I assume with vaping I'll gain a few and then equalize, you're still getting niccotine so you should be ok with weight gain..It's nothing a run/jog a few times a week can't take care of though, now that your lungs are working again

so in theory, I believe it is definately attributed to the niccotine plus the habit

Plus I don't know about you, but whenever I was hungry and was too lazy to eat, I would just smoke instead and call it a night....so that probably contributes to weight gain as well....I haven't been vaping long enough to know if it makes a good meal replacement like analogs do

Maybe they can start putting some calories in nic juice so we no longer need to buy food :)

rmasu

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
hawaii
I lost 45 pounds of fat two years ago after my internist said my sugars were high my cholesterol was high and my high blood pressure was high. And I was smoking, I did it through exercise and diet. Not really dieting my making smart choice no fast food low fat lots of veggies, some starch and lean meats. I run 5 days a week and now that I've been vaping and not smoking I feel my lungs and heart in even better shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread