Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
2ih4glk.jpg

Sweet Sixteen!
The 16mm li’l brother of Estia / Aqua
happy-038.gif

2zz6ib8.jpg

2rzxkaw.jpg

There are times when we desire going sleek. Thus mods like Gus-G16, GP-Piccolo, Ba-Gua, Chi-Sleek etc. exist, which carry 14xxx batteries in 16mm or 17mm tubes. And so there are RBAs like the Spheroid, Penelope, Aiolos Steam Machine etc. which fit their size. And now the Aiolos-T!

20pap8l.jpg

What is it?

The flagship 16mm atty of Gus is their Aiolos Steam Machine, which uses filler material in their tank to hold juice (just like the Spheroid). No More! Here comes the Aiolos-T (’T' for Tank) which retains the form but replaces the format. No more filler material. Instead this tank holds e-liquid directly and takes the Aqua route! Looks like the Aiolos-SM but is actually a smaller Estia. Yes, this is a Kayfunish BC-SRTA (Bottom Coiled Silica based Rebuildable Tank Atomizer).

2ighwdl.jpg

Dimensions & Specs:
1. Width: 16 mm
2. Length : 44 mm
3. Juice Capacity: 2 ml
4. Single coil design
5. Bottom air fed
6. Top Filling (for juice)
7. Adjustable 510 connector
8. All stainless steel construction
9. Pos Pin made of Brass (external, at 510 post)
10. Available in two finishes (Polished and Matte)

2n7v2p.jpg

b4vs6r.jpg

Build Quality, Material & Finish

Made of food grade 304 stainless steel the Aiolos-T is a good looking atty. With AIOLOS engraved in its base, Gus logo in centre of the tank and their signature pips on the top-cap ~ the entire visage is pretty classy and means business. Milling and machining is also spot-on as we have come to expect from anything Gus. It comes in two finishes, Polished (shiny) and Matte (brushed) with a future possibility of Sanded (media blasted) finish as well. Mine pictured in this review is two-tone. With the base and top-cap being polished while the tank is brushed.

2ekiwx5.jpg

333fznd.jpg

Assembly and Internals

The Aiolos-T can be disassembled into four main parts. The Base (and Deck), the Chamber & Chimney, the Tank Tube and the Top-Cap. No drip-tip is included. Everything is threaded. Disassembling is pretty simple. Unscrew the top-cap, unscrew the tank and unscrew the the chimney. Just the reverse while assembling.

34e7ybt.jpg

2qtl646.jpg

The Deck

Very similar to the Aqua, the Aiolos-T deck has two posts with an air-hole in between. Over which you build your wick/coil and screw-in the chimney. The only difference between this and the Aqua is that there are just two juice slots (at opposing diagonals) in place of four. Which is b’coz the Aiolos-T is designed for single coils, similar to the Kayfuns.

2s8sg0y.jpg

Unboxing

As of now the mailing option from Gus Mods is only thru courier. Either UPS or by EMS. The packaging is perfect as expected from Gus. Comes in a strong cardboard box and well packed in bubble-wraps. For such a small item I found the packaging to be actually an overkill!

1ilffn.jpg

r769av.jpg

The package consists of the Atty and a Spares Bag containing few O-rings and screws.

———————————
BUILD & SETUP
———————————
Single Microcoil & Cotton Wick

Initial Cleaning:
13z4ilt.jpg

The atty comes neat & clean out of the box, yet as usual I gave it a thorough scrub under soapy water.

Coil Mounting:
2ntzqc9.jpg

28g Kanthal, 8/9 wraps on a 2mm Allen Key, 0.9Ω

NOTE: In this atty the distance between the terminal screws level and the base's air-hole is a bit higher than the Kayfuns. Which is why I chose to attach the coil upside down (see pic insert). That gave me the perfect gap between the coil and the air-hole as I like, which is around 2 mm. This gives me the best VTF.

Ohms check:
534g8g.jpg

Build test fire:
fkz2xh.jpg

Wick inserted:
a0h189.jpg

Juicing up the wick:
os8xu8.jpg

Vapor Test:
2gt9dee.jpg

Wicks placement:
2ajuygy.jpg

NOTE: I have tried both methods of placing the wick-tails. One - by keeping it lying under the deck bridge, just like the Kayfuns. And two - by tucking the wick-tails into the ‘vertical’ juice channels. The first method gave me a dry-hit once a while. But the Aqua method (tucking the tails into the juice channel) gave me no wicking issues. But there’s still a caveat! The wick tails should be “thinned down” and should not touch the floor of the juice slot. Obviously, the tails should not protrude out into the horizontal plane as well.

Filling the tank:
2rpsiaf.jpg

NOTE: The process is exactly like the Aqua (and the Estia). Unscrew the top-cap > fill up > partially screw-in the top-cap > then inverse the atty and screw-in the top-cap fully. Hold it for a minute more (in this same inverse position) > then attach it to your mod ~ and you are ready to go. Important: Do not fill more than 80% of the tank as with any Kayfunish atty.

First Draw!
286wwv9.jpg

Next Draw
happy-146.gif

vaxs4.jpg

Vape Experience / THOUGHTS

I’m writing this review after a few days of use, with many tanks thru. When built right (needs some experimentation with the wick placement) the Aiolos-T offers a good vape. The vapour production is phenomenal for a tight draw atty. Yes, all 16 / 17 mm RBAs are a bit tight draw ~ but they are typically also gr8 in flavour. So, is this device. Exactly like it’s predecessor - the Aiolos-SM (and GP Spheroid) you can taste your juice with this mini RBA. TH is off course build dependent ~ but it is spot on as per your nic levels.

15i7wya.jpg

Pros and Cons X :

Pros: Slim, trim and looks good on 14xxx series mods. Easy to fill and doesn’t leak or flood. Enough deck space for an atty of this size - so its easy to setup. Gives good VTF. The exterior finishing & detailing makes it look very classy.

Cons: Placement of wick-tails need experimentation ~ else you will get dry-hits. Also b’coz the gap between the tank’s ID and the OD of the chimney being just a hairline - high VG juices could pose a problem in wicking. My 100% VG juice didn’t wick at all.

3322k2t.jpg

BOTTOMLINE:

This is not a Kayfun. Neither does it claim to be. 16mm RBAs have a special place ~ and that is atop 14xxx battery mods. Which this Aiolos-T does superlatively ~ and with class. This is a looker, a head turner. Which is exactly why I purchased it. Btw, having built it sub-Ohm I am mostly using it atop 18500 (or higher) mods ~ and it looks gorgeous even on them! For the money this RBA is a no brainer. Besides, if you own a 16 mm mod ~ the Aiolos-T might just be unavoidable!

This is a masterstroke by GUS
eating-43.gif

Randall.K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Manchester, UK
Again, another fantastic review and tutorial, Qorax!

This is a very beautiful little piece. I think I'll order one to see if it beats my Taifun GS :p

Only thing what worries me is that you say there was wicking problems with 100% VG :(

What other ratios have you tried in this? I do have a slight PG allergy. 70/30 VG/PG is the minimum for me lol :(

:vapor:

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
^^ Thank you Randall & Bims :)

And Randall, my 100% VG juice is really thick ;) the damn thing has wicking issues even in my K'funs ~ and I've to wick it a tad differently. Btw, most of my juices are 70/30 PG/VG with a few as 80/20 PG/VG.

I just have one other juice which is heavy VG, and it is 30/70 PG/VG. This vapes Ok in the Aiolos-T ~ but I have to thin down the wick further.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Qorax is one of your blue display's getting dim on your Provari's? or is it just the picture. The reason I ask is, I just sent one of my blue displays in for repair for this problem, just wondering if you might have the same issue.

KAS

No, brother Bones ~ all the digits are perfect in my P'vari. It's just the picture. While clicking I could see the digits flickering in the viewfinder ~ so it must be the 'TV over camera' effect.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY

So not funny. You have officially put me over my insanely high former cigarette budget. It's $14 per pack here in NYC. Multiply that by 3 per day (1 and a half for me and the same for hubby), and that's a pretty large number to stay under per month when it comes to buying vape gear. This month though? Why oh why did I stumble on this section of ECF? Oh, I know why. Because the mods put every question I have regarding rebuilding over here, that's why. It was so much safer when I stuck to the general section. Thanks ECF mods! When my husband murders me tonight, please feel free to hold yourselves responsible, along with qorax here.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
So not funny. You have officially put me over my insanely high former cigarette budget. It's $14 per pack here in NYC. Multiply that by 3 per day (1 and a half for me and the same for hubby), and that's a pretty large number to stay under per month when it comes to buying vape gear. This month though? Why oh why did I stumble on this section of ECF? Oh, I know why. Because the mods put every question I have regarding rebuilding over here, that's why. It was so much safer when I stuck to the general section. Thanks ECF mods! When my husband murders me tonight, please feel free to hold yourselves responsible, along with qorax here.

^Ah, that was quite a piece Tinkie ;) Well stated. And I couldn't stop smiling. I was a PAD+ smoker myself, B&H, $13 each here. But there's a goodness in our vape habit ~ besides a healthy alternative once we have the right gear/s we need only the consumables. And that over a time WILL become an inexpensive hobby, even if it becomes a hobby!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
^Ah, that was quite a piece Tinkie ;) Well stated. And I couldn't stop smiling. I was a PAD+ smoker myself, B&H, $13 each here. But there's a goodness in our vape habit ~ besides a healthy alternative once we have the right gear/s we need only the consumables. And that over a time WILL become an inexpensive hobby, even if it becomes a hobby!

I'm hoping this is it. Last month I went over due to a Provari obsession. We needed 3 you see. One for hubby, one for me, and one for back up in case mine or hubby's needed to be sent for repairs. I told myself it was just smart to have 3. Also, between last month and this month, there was a Kayfun clone obsession. Thankfully, there ARE clones, otherwise I may be homeless now. The the second half of this month seems to be devoted to genuine toppers. Hopefully after this I'll settle down. It'll just be batteries, kanthal, cotton, and juice. Until Provape releases V3 of course. If I had any left to bet, I'd bet money on my "needing" to get three of those when they come out. That's the thing. There will always be something new.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I'm hoping this is it. Last month I went over due to a Provari obsession. We needed 3 you see. One for hubby, one for me, and one for back up in case mine or hubby's needed to be sent for repairs. I told myself it was just smart to have 3. Also, between last month and this month, there was a Kayfun clone obsession. Thankfully, there ARE clones, otherwise I may be homeless now. The the second half of this month seems to be devoted to genuine toppers. Hopefully after this I'll settle down. It'll just be batteries, kanthal, cotton, and juice. Until Provape releases V3 of course. If I had any left to bet, I'd bet money on my "needing" to get three of those when they come out. That's the thing. There will always be something new.

Lucky you! I've no such thing as 'this is it' ;) I'm on the constant lookout for something different!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Lucky you! I've no such thing as 'this is it' ;) I'm on the constant lookout for something different!

Lucky me? I'd only be able to afford everything I want and continue to collect if I got rid of one of the kids. Kinda torn on which one I'd boot out. The 2 year old is cute and still cuddles with me sometimes. However, she won't use the toilet and likes to kick me in the face for her own amusement. The 8 year old is pretty damn smart, and I expect he'll be able to support me in my old age eventually. Problem is he's too smart for his own good. Parental controls on a computer? LOL! Useless in this house. If I booted him out, he'd likely hack my Facebook page and find his way back anyway. *sigh* I should probably just stay away from this forum until the 2 year old is 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread