history needed,when and why did flavors other than traditional tobacco come into being?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
hi all,
i am preparing a response to my senator Dem. Amy Klobuchar who was on the senate commerce committee that performed what can only be described as a drive by shooting this last Wednesday concerning advertising and flavors in e-juice. i am trying to gain an understanding of the history and evolution of flavoring in e-juice. the why's,where fores, and hows. i understand the why's,cause we like them. i want to make a response that would be from a historical quasi documentary point of view to counter the flavor = advertising because, flavors, formula the ANTZ use. i feel its important because the for the kids argument is used to shut down any reasonable discussion of the use of flavoring. if you haven't seen the hearing there are links posted in legislative news i believe. its a first class demonstration of using children to shut down any possibility of response from one you don't agree with.i could use some links to use as reference but, googling doesn't seem to bring up anything remotely what i'm looking for. i figured those in the DIY forum would have the incite to point me in the right direction.

regards and thank you for your time.
mike

Last edited:

Emilie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Am I wrong in thinking that, while e-cigarette makers came up with tobacco flavors to mimic analogs, users came up with DIY methods and discovered that they could use food flavoring to make their own, non-tobacco flavors?

Also, and I hate to be a jerk here, please have a grammar nazi proof-read your message to our senator before you send it.

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Have you gone back to some of the early posts here at ECF?

I was doing so just yesterday, for a different reason.. Talking like early 2008, 2009 stuff..

[Note: Not all ECF sub-forums were open yet back then]

Flavors other than tobacco were popping up in '08.. May have been even earlier (would have to check non-ECF sources for that)...

And why? Because people could.. Smokers were quitting cigs.. While I'm sure some enjoyed the tobacco flavors, I'm guessing others wanted to get as far away as possible from the taste of tobacco, to not be reminded of cigs in that way, to help them quit & stay cig-free...

Yeah, flavors are important to adults trying to quit.. Seems like many go for the non-tobacco flavors, since it opens this whole new world.. For years/decades, they had to endure the same tobacco taste, over & over & over again... With vaping? No more!

Anyway, thanks for your political involvement!

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Am I wrong in thinking that, while e-cigarette makers came up with tobacco flavors to mimic analogs, users came up with DIY methods and discovered that they could use food flavoring to make their own, non-tobacco flavors?

Also, and I hate to be a jerk here, please have a grammar nazi proof-read your message to our senator before you send it.

my grammar or my parsing. i don't know why my parsing turns out that way. its not like that until i post. some times i forget to go back and edit it.
regards
mike

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Have you gone back to some of the early posts here at ECF?

I was doing so just yesterday, for a different reason.. Talking like early 2008, 2009 stuff..

[Note: Not all ECF sub-forums were open yet back then]

Flavors other than tobacco were popping up in '08.. May have been even earlier (would have to check non-ECF sources for that)...

And why? Because people could.. Smokers were quitting cigs.. While I'm sure some enjoyed the tobacco flavors, I'm guessing others wanted to get as far away as possible from the taste of tobacco, to not be reminded of cigs in that way, to help them quit & stay cig-free...

Yeah, flavors are important to adults trying to quit.. Seems like many go for the non-tobacco flavors, since it opens this whole new world.. For years/decades, they had to endure the same tobacco taste, over & over & over again... With vaping? No more!

Anyway, thanks for your political involvement!

Heck yeah! After starting out with tobacco and/or menthol flavors that I just couldn't get into, I kept smoking while trying to get into vaping. I found a local guy that sells online, too. Tried his stuff........ flavors! I stopped smoking.

I couldn't begin to tell you when flavorings came about, but I know the cig-alikes sold at the local gas stations/pharmacies/groceries all had 'em before I began.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
I forgot to mention:

Same reason why other products use flavorings!

cherry nic.jpg

(I modified an ANTZ piece.. See original below... :D)

tobacco-free kids 5-8-14.jpg

Emilie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
my grammar or my parsing. i don't know why my parsing turns out that way. its not like that until i post. some times i forget to go back and edit it.
regards
mike

Again, please don't take it personally, but when you're writing to Amy, please use capitalization and the correct spelling (incite vs insight).

I do think what you're planning to do is a very good idea, though. I don't know why a certain party is acting the way they are on this. They're being blind to the benefits (and evidence), and it's really pissing me off.

Non-tobacco flavors are what got me off of analogs. When I tried tobacco flavors at first, my husband noticed the tobacco smell in our house (we smoke outside, and I vape inside), but he noticed a pleasant smell when I used fruity and other sweet flavors, not that they lasted long. We have cats. They don't appreciate tobacco at all.

My party needs to see that vaping is the best way to get off of analogs. Who cares if some people enjoy it and don't plan to quit completely (raises hand); everyone has guilty pleasures, and I don't see the snack isle of the grocery store being banned.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Again, please don't take it personally, but when you're writing to Amy, please use capitalization and the correct spelling (incite vs insight).

I do think what you're planning to do is a very good idea, though. I don't know why a certain party is acting the way they are on this. They're being blind to the benefits (and evidence), and it's really pissing me off.

Non-tobacco flavors are what got me off of analogs. When I tried tobacco flavors at first, my husband noticed the tobacco smell in our house (we smoke outside, and I vape inside), but he noticed a pleasant smell when I used fruity and other sweet flavors, not that they lasted long. We have cats. They don't appreciate tobacco at all.

My party needs to see that vaping is the best way to get off of analogs. Who cares if some people enjoy it and don't plan to quit completely (raises hand); everyone has guilty pleasures, and I don't see the snack isle of the grocery store being banned.

where was i when caps became required again when one used electronic media? except maybe for proper names of persons and official communications it hasn't been considered bad form for a very long time.
:confused:
regards
mike

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I think that for some people it's like a recovering alcoholic staying away from bars...in order to quit, some need to keep away from tobacco flavor and not be reminded of anything that tastes like tobacco. I tried e-cigs back in 2007/2008 and the flavors were pretty bad. Used them once in awhile but didn't quit until I had a nice fruity e-liquid.
That whole bit about the flavors luring the children is the biggest bunch of hogwash and implied bad parenting ever, and as a parent it irks me to no end. Try approaching the pols about their flavored adult beverages, who actually eats most of the Halloween candy, and what their favorite Starbucks flavored coffee is. The flavors make it taste better, therefore it's more enjoyable and works. I don't know of one single adult whose favorite flavor is...nothing.

Not A One

Verified Member
May 10, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
where was i when caps became required again when one used electronic media? except maybe for proper names of persons and official communications it hasn't been considered bad form for a very long time.
:confused:
regards
mike
People will not take you seriously if you write the letter the same way your write your posts. If you can't find a proofreader, I will volunteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread