Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
What makes Kayfuns so good
They're not. They are "so good", only in the sense that they are better than what came before. Having been surpassed, for quality of flavor, by at least a half-dozen different PD RTAs... some of which are evolutions of the svoemesto design.

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
They're not. They are "so good", only in the sense that they are better than what came before. Having been surpassed, for quality of flavor, by at least a half-dozen different PD RTAs... some of which are evolutions of the SvoeMesto design.

What is PD? Can you tell me which ones are better in your opinion? I like my KF 3.1 but I'm always looking for better flavor. Thanks.
- Dirk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Authentic Kayfun and Russian 91% RTA's are a superior design of highest manufacturing detail than what had come before them (namely Genesis-style RTA's). There are clones of the Kayfun which may or may not have the manufacturing workmanship/machining detail of the authentic originals.

The Kayfun style RTA's are known for highest quality flavor production, not so much for vapor production, although they don't slack in that department either. They use negative pressure (vacuum) much like a cartotank uses.

What makes the Kayfun so great?

Kayfun-style RTA.jpg microcoil2.jpg microcoil4.jpg microcoil3.jpg

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
What is PD? Can you tell me which ones are better in your opinion? I like my KF 3.1 but I'm always looking for better flavor. Thanks.
- Dirk
Although to a degree all flavor preference is subjective, the best flavor producer to date is the Gus Estia... which is about as close to an RDA as I've found.
Following that are, in no particular order, the Inverno Erlkönigin, GP Heron, Eden Rose, Taifun GT, Fogger V4, sQuape and Highwinds Ruzgar (a clear Kayfun evolution atomizer).

PD is "pressure differential". Click my second sig line hyperlink and scroll to "How tank type atomizers work"... where I explain the common thread between your $2 CE4 and most high end RTAs. ;-)

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
They use negative pressure (vacuum) much like a cartotank uses.

Cartotanks don't use negative pressure, they use a cartomizer which has a filler in it. When the filler is saturated no more liquid will flow into the cartomizer. It's like a sponge, it will only hold so much and then it's full and you can't put any more in.

As for what makes the Kayfun so great, it's the design. It's very easy to build on and wick, and it doesn't leak. Sure some RTAs have slightly better flavor (which has as much to do with coil build and wicking as the design of the RTA) but they tend to be harder to build on and/or have problems like leaking or gurgling. The main thing that separates the Kayfun from the rest is it's ease of use and lack of leaking. You get one built right and they produce flavor that can come close to a dripping atomizer while giving you the convenience of a clearomizer. You can then go a week or more without having to do anything other than refill it. There aren't too many RTAs that are both as easy and as reliable to work with.

Last edited:

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Imho, I think the two of the best in flavor is the kayfun and taifun. Taifun being a bit better flavor wise. However both are in my opinion, very build dependant. If you build great with proper wicking for both it can taste like your dripping. However if you are a miss with the build you won't get the optimum flavor. This has been my experience. With both these rdas, build and wicking is absolutely critical. You can run into issues if it's a miss such as leaking and guegling. But if it's done well, nothing compares to the flavoe. Both giving good dense vapor as well. That's just something I've noticed. So basically performance wise, they are like most things only as good as the build. Both being particular. You have to have a da quaternary spacing of the coil and airflow with proper wicking for kayfun and taifun I've noticed needs the wick to be thick enough for good performance. But the flavor production for both is really out of this world with a good build. I think that's what makes these two RBAs special.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartotanks don't use negative pressure, they use a cartomizer which has a filler in it. When the filler is saturated no more liquid will flow into the cartomizer. It's like a sponge, it will only hold so much and then it's full and you can't put any more in.
surprise-face.jpg

Huh? Have you ever used a cartotank? You're disputing the cartotank king of ECF here.

Cartotanks do indeed use negative pressure. The cartomizer is pre-primed with e-liquid prior to insertion into the cartotank. Then the tank is filled with e-liquid.

With each draw on the cartomizer in the cartotank, e-liquid is pulled (via vacuum) from both the pollyfiller in the cartomizer and the tank (via the pre-punched holes in the carto) and vaporized. The vaporized e-liquid is continuously replaced with e-liquid from the tank via the vacuum. That's how negative pressure works.

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
So basically it's the ease of a clearo with the taste and vapor of a drip?

Not quite. Even if you have a brick and mortar location coil and wick it for you, there's a learning curve behind filling it. The 3.1 uses a ball bearing valve in the side for filling, and you need a particular size, plastic, needle tip in order to do it. It can also be easily damaged, and can become a source of leaking. The lite version is far easier to deal with in my opinion. You simply unscrew the screw interest fill port on the bottom, fill with any bottle, and screw it back in. Even with that though, that screw can become a weak point for leaking. Then there is also knowing how to make a coil at te right resistance, an knowing how much cotton to use.

Closet to a clearomizer is the EXpromizer. This is another Kayfun style RTA, only this one is built to be filled like you would with any bottom coil clearo. Unscrew the tank from the base, fill the tank, and then screw the base back on. It's extremely easy. In my opinion, the deck is easier to build on then the Kayfun's deck, and it's less crucial to get te exact amount of cotton correct. Vapor and flavor are dependent on the build of course, but in my opinion the taste from the Expromizer is better then a Kayfun. The draw back on this tank is that the workmanship is iffy. You can wind up with a great one, or a not so great one. The threads on mine were a bit choppy. Other then that, it works great without any leaking. Even the 510 connect is spring loaded, so this topper never really ever has connection issues. Finally, a genuine Expromizer is cheaper then a genuine Kayfun.

For around the same price as a genuine Kayfun 3.1, you can get an Erlkonigin. This is one of the really new RTA's and so far I haven't read a negative review on them. They are very similar to the Kayfun in regards to the chimney chamber design, but the tank section is different. You can use a plastic, glass, or steel tube that is held on to the base and top cap with o-rings. If you like tank cracker juices, this is one of the best options for you in RTA's. The tubes even come in different diameters to match whatever mod you are using. You can fill via the top cap, which works exactly like the Salt n Pepper cartotank. It's a very clever , tool free, way that makes it nearly as easy to fill as a clearo. There's also a juice feed ring by the base that is meant to control how much juice enters te chamber, even during pressure and temperature changes (Kayfuns can leak during these). Last and not least, they supposedly taste better then a Kayfun. I'll find this out for myself by the end of the week hopefully. I pulled the trigger in this one!

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    In reality the KayFun is just another way to do the same thing. Taste is to subjective to say that it is better/worse than any other type of topper, and the KayFun is not without it's faults. It's to large, to heavy, and it's .... ugly. Over engineered to the max, it would win the Rube Goldberg Machine Contest College Nationals with ease. BUT, they work quite well.

Would you believe that I have never used the fill port on my KayFun? Not a single time! They are just way to easy to fill from the top. This makes the fill port just excess baggage that isn't needed IMO.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Not quite. Even if you have a brick and mortar location coil and wick it for you, there's a learning curve behind filling it. The 3.1 uses a ball bearing valve in the side for filling, and you need a particular size, plastic, needle tip in order to do it. It can also be easily damaged, and can become a source of leaking. The lite version is far easier to deal with in my opinion. You simply unscrew the screw interest fill port on the bottom, fill with any bottle, and screw it back in. Even with that though, that screw can become a weak point for leaking. Then there is also knowing how to make a coil at te right resistance, an knowing how much cotton to use.

Or you could just do it the easy way and unscrew the top, fill it about 3/4 full, then screw the top on one turn, place your finger over the air hole, turn the RTA upside-down and quickly screw the top on tight while holding your finger over the air hole, then turning it back over before taking your finger off the air hole.

So much easier and you don't need special needles or tips regardless of which version of Kayfun you have.

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Or you could just do it the easy way and unscrew the top, fill it about 3/4 full, then screw the top on one turn, place your finger over the air hole, turn the RTA upside-down and quickly screw the top on tight while holding your finger over the air hole, then turning it back over before taking your finger off the air hole.

So much easier and you don't need special needles or tips regardless of which version of Kayfun you have.

I can do this with the 3.1 just fine. For some reason though, I can't seem to manage it with my Lite versions. I find myself endlessly blowing it out to get rid of the excess juice. I've only tried it with my least favorite clone so far though. The Tobeco. I'm not a fan of their Kayfuns. Maybe the Ehpro's will work better this way...

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    In reality the KayFun is just another way to do the same thing. Taste is to subjective to say that it is better/worse than any other type of topper, and the KayFun is not without it's faults. It's to large, to heavy, and it's .... ugly. .

Too heavy? Perhaps.

But too large? It's 22mm in diameter which makes it a perfect fit for 99% of the mech mods out there and the Kayfun 3.1 is no taller than an Aerotank, iClear 30S, or Nautilus. The KFL+ is shorter than all of the above. Run the KFL+ in Nano mode and it's even shorter.

In fact, here is a size comparison between my KLF+ and my Halo Triton (Kanger T3) clearo.

dc133b3c-0f6b-41d0-9bfc-eb97c45551e7.jpg

As far as ugly goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me it looks a thousand times better than a Nautilus.

Last edited:
    Nowadays the Kayfun is like the Honda of vaping. Very easy to use especially for folks new to rebuilding. Tons of custom parts and tutorials. Can be acquired fairly cheap. Does the trick and when tricked out easily outperforms mostly everything. The downside to a Kayfun for me is the space is to cramped for easy dual coiling for those of us with ogre hands. Also it really isn't amazing "now" out of the box until I customize it to my liking.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

!

Don't you mean needle bottle ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread