Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Got my new kayfun lite clone last week, and built a 1.8-1.9 ohm coil, wicked with cotton, loaded up first juice and had a pretty happy vape. Refilled with the same flavor and had another happy vape. Disassembled today, rinsed everything, dry-burned the coil, and rewicked. I think I got everything tucked in correctly and I think I used about the same amount of cotton. Per RipTripper's video, moistened the wick with juice and tucked it in before I put the chimney back on. Filled (70p/30v juice - first juice was 50/50) Started at 8.0W, and after a few draws, started getting a burnt taste. Dropped down to 7.5W - couple clean hits, then nasty burnt. Dropped to 6.5W - STILL burning.

What the heck?!?!?!?! I'd hate to have to dump the tank, but I'm not sure I could trickle it back into an empty bottle I have available.

HELP (please?)

RichRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
South Lake Tahoe, CA
sounds like its not wicking properly, kayfuns do take a bit to get just right everytime. get an empty bottle, remove the blunt tip so it has a larger hole, then hold your finger over air hole on the kayfun, unscrew top cap and pour into bottle. you can retrieve most of your liquid this way :) goodluck with your next build!

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Your going to have to dump the tank. If you have a Kayfun, and they should tell you this you should have like a shot glass or empty juice bottle you can pour it out in. I use a juice bottle with a tiny makeup funnel. I'm betting you have a messed up coil. After I re-wick the coil I take tweezers or a my trusty dental pic and reposition my coil loops. When you us cotton I find that if you tug hard enough to mess up or move the coil you have to much cotton. I will wet my cotton so it will stay in place until i get the ring on then i take a screwdriver and move the wick so it is NOT covering the hole. DON"T HAVE TO MUCH WICK IN THOSE TRAYS. Then after i got the wick in place i check my coil. Reapply more juice reassemble the kayfun and refill.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Auto, no, the cotton slid relatively easily through the coil, and no, not a tight draw at all :-x Would have thought the 70/30 would have been a little thinner and flowed more easily.

Even though I followed the steps in the video, how much cotton (coil was wrapped on 1/16 drill bit) i.e. how long of a strand of cotton should I shoot for?

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Wicking issue for sure but could be as simple as a vacuum issue. I have found that, from time to time, you can get a problem with draw when you first fill a KFL up but there is a simple solution. Just burp the tank. Hold it tip down and put block the air intake hole, unscrew the base just a bit, take your finger off the intake hold until you see the burp in the tank (bubble or two), then put your finder back over the hole and tighten the base back down.

First few vapes may seem a little wet or gurgly but it will clear up and give you smooth sailing for the rest of the tank. Works for me.

Good luck!

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It is possible that the new wick somehow blocked a juice channel. The tails should be just long enough that they reach the deck next to the positive block, which you may already have.

The other possibility is that the chimney o-ring rotated or is not seated properly, which creates a loss of vacuum. If air can pass through up there, the draw suction may not effectively pull juice in to feed the wick. Make sure this o-ring (in the top part) and the tip of chimney itself are lubed up with juice during the next assemble.

Other than that, a tool I find very useful for draining tanks without losing much juice is a syringe with a long needle. You can just stick it in the fill hole and suck all the e-liquid out, then inject it back in later.

EDIT: I just saw your last post. A 1/16" coil can be tricky to get it wicking properly in a Kayfun, since there isn't much wick inside the coil to hold juice and it needs to travel all the way up the tails to replenish it. That said, a lot of folks get microcoils working well in them. I personally find that a 3/32" coil is more reliable. And as the others said, make sure it is well primed before firing it for the first time, to the point where the coil is almost flooded. "Burping" it can really help, but hopefully you don't have to do it too often.

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Thanks all :) I've had a hellishly long weekend, so I'm not going to futz with this tonight - project for tomorrow.

Kinda figured it was the wicks. I was so stunned that I got the first one right and just naturally assumed (ha we all know what THAT does) that I did the 2nd one right too..... All part of the learning experience, right?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Wicks can also be to long and choke the channels. Always make sure they are tucked back to the deck.
See my blog.

Empty Kayfun:
1) Remove liquid with a syringe
or
2) remove bottle tip
Place kayfun drip tip to opening of bottle
unscrew Deck section
E-liquid will flow through tip into bottle - Kayfin body/tip = built in funnel:)

Gargoyle

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I pack my entire lower chimney area with cotton…

Used to use a lot less then when I would chain vape I would get dry hits… I hate dry hits.. So a member here turned me onto the "navy nest" wicking method. Works a treat!!!

The way I do it is with cotton though. So I run my wick though the coil leaving ample tails. Screw the first section of the chimney down then tuck the tails into there "navy nest" style. Once I am satisfied with the wick I saturate it with juice. Then I take my very small drill bit and move the wick away from the juice channels. When I do it this way I am sure the wick will not clog the channels and I can hold the maximum amount of juice by my coil this way as well. So if I do hit it faster than I can wick it there is a lot there to vape before I have a dry hit issue.

There is a learning curve to this as well but has worked great for me. Youtube "navy nest" if ya wanna see how its done.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The Kayfun is a little tricky to get the wicking right on.

If the wicks are too thick, they can pinch around the coil, and not work right.

If the wicks are too long, there will be too much packed into the bottom of the chimney area, and it won't feed properly up through the channels in the deck.

If wicks are too short, they can't draw the juice up well, and you'll get dry hits.

Finding that "perfect wick" in both thickness and length takes some trial and error. Keep trying, and make small modifications until you get a reliable setup, then just replicate that every time.

Of course, different coils require different wick setups, so you'll need to modify your wick thickness and length if you use a different coil.

I use a nano chimney vertical coil, centered over the airhole. I feed the wick under the top lead off the coil, and then wrap it around the coil once, and tuck the tails down into the bottom of the chimney. I trim them so that they just reach the bottom of the chamber, with a little extra to lay across the feed channels. That seems to work fine every time, with no leaking...

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I recently did the rip chimney build. Make sure your coil is off the air hole as well. This will cause flooding. I wrapped the outside of the coil with cotton and paper machet'd the cotton around the coil it only took one piece of cotton. I tighten it all up including fill screw and air hole then unscrew the coil assembly and bottom fill with a syringe...I only put in 2.75mls. I then reattach the coil assembly and screen tight...I let sit up dose down for a few minutes...I then turn right side and back off the air screw only 2 or 3 turns. This has been my most successful set, fill and vape on my kfl+...the coil has 11 wraps air screwed ohms out at 1.6...28 awg Kanthal and tight....good luck...most RBAs require much tinkering...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
Auto, no, the cotton slid relatively easily through the coil, and no, not a tight draw at all :-x Would have thought the 70/30 would have been a little thinner and flowed more easily.

Even though I followed the steps in the video, how much cotton (coil was wrapped on 1/16 drill bit) i.e. how long of a strand of cotton should I shoot for?

you can either cut your cotton to length before placing the chimney cylinder on or put the cylinder on and cut then. first way, just see where it lines up to the channels and cut there. second way you just cut it to the height of the cylinder before you put the chimney top on, obviously if your coil sits higher, you'll want to cut it a little longer.
I do the second way. never had any issues. but I've also got the 3.1 so I have airflow control, it's nice [emoji2]

Last edited:

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Got my new kayfun lite clone last week, and built a 1.8-1.9 ohm coil, wicked with cotton, loaded up first juice and had a pretty happy vape. Refilled with the same flavor and had another happy vape. Disassembled today, rinsed everything, dry-burned the coil, and rewicked. I think I got everything tucked in correctly and I think I used about the same amount of cotton. Per RipTripper's video, moistened the wick with juice and tucked it in before I put the chimney back on. Filled (70p/30v juice - first juice was 50/50) Started at 8.0W, and after a few draws, started getting a burnt taste. Dropped down to 7.5W - couple clean hits, then nasty burnt. Dropped to 6.5W - STILL burning.

What the heck?!?!?!?! I'd hate to have to dump the tank, but I'm not sure I could trickle it back into an empty bottle I have available.

HELP (please?)

Get yourself some blunt tip needle syringes, they're under a dollar each and make refilling / emptying the Kayfun extremely easy.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Get yourself some blunt tip needle syringes, they're under a dollar each and make refilling / emptying the Kayfun extremely easy.

I do have a couple of bottle "lids" that have the blunt syringes already built-in. I just pop off the dropper tip, screw on the syringe cap, and voila! Found those work amazingly well to fill the KF. Just wasn't sure if I should try that in reverse to "unfill" to fix this wicking problem.

May try the "vacuum release" method described above....

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
To all of you who presumed wicking issue - SPOT ON

Wicks can also be to long and choke the channels. Always make sure they are tucked back to the deck.
See my blog.

Empty Kayfun:
1) Remove liquid with a syringe
or
2) remove bottle tip
Place kayfun drip tip to opening of bottle
unscrew Deck section
E-liquid will flow through tip into bottle - Kayfin body/tip = built in funnel:)

crxess - Perfect - worked like a champ - drained into a small bottle and was able to recover most of the juice on the refill :)

Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread