How much cotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradicio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Altadena, CA
So, I had asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer (I think because answering would derail the thread), so I thought I'd try here with a new post....

This may be a dumb question, but the builds in those images seem to be using an awful lot of cotton? Is that how much I'm supposed to be using? I'm using about half that much (speaking of thickness, not length).

Appreciate the help! :)

JSRP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The cotton should be small enough so that you can pull the cotton back and forth without much resistance, but thick enough so that the inside area of the coil is always in contact with the cotton.

The cotton will generally expand when saturated with e-liquid so that's why you don't want it too tight. However note that in the case of larger coils, the cotton may in fact 'sink' under the weight of the e-liquid (something to look out for)

As for amount of cotton, I tend to get as much excess as I can in a Dripper without obstructing the airflow. In a tank based rebuildable (like aKayfun), I find that you just want just enough cotton excess so that the ends sit on the deck without being squished.

Sorry for the essay, hope that helps somewhat! :)

Last edited:

Crow2

Jun 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
How about length?
Assuming I'm using a dual micro coil, slanted up a little, I tend to cut it off right at the end of the coil on the outside end (closest to the cap), and leave just enough on the other side to come down and touch the well. Maybe a little extra to lay it flat. I like to change flavors frequently so this works for me, but I do need to drip more often.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
You're building on a Kayfun type?

I pull the cotton up through the tube of the chamber and cut it about 1/4" above that. Tuck down around the base with a toothpick.

Amount... as said, just a slight resistance when pulling through the coil. Enough so you notice the drag, but not so much that you distort the coil.

ej1024

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
usa
So, I had asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer (I think because answering would derail the thread), so I thought I'd try here with a new post....

This may be a dumb question, but the builds in those images seem to be using an awful lot of cotton? Is that how much I'm supposed to be using? I'm using about half that much (speaking of thickness, not length).

Appreciate the help! :)

Everything that was said was correct,there's one more thing you have to know what kind of e-juice you are using,in my own vaping experience I use water based juice inside a kay fun to prevent burning and clogging ur coils,fruity,candy are the best juice in a kay fun,
Just enough cotton not too much,if u put too much I'm 100% sure you will have leaking and clogging..thicker juice are highly recommended to be drip,if u want to use a thicker juice in a kay fun use a double barrel coil 2 28 g 10 wraps sitting side by side I do have this current built inside my tai fun gt and kay fun 26650

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustB'nMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
TX
It's hard to judge the amount of cotton by a picture. To me, things tend to look bigger than they are in reality. So, although it looks like a lot it's probably just right.

I use just enough cotton to touch and slide back and forth through my coil. My tails aren't quite as long as those pictured. I only allow mine to touch the top of the deck. Initially, it takes a bit of trial and error. There isn't one perfect way to build and wick except the one that works for you. Good luck!

Live well, Love much, Laugh often and Vape on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread