I wanna try a genny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
If you've never used a genny before, the RSST would be a great way to go. It's a good atomizer, with nice wide insulated wick holes. Having them insulated will be a big help, especially for a "newbie" to gennys, since when you go to pulse your coil to get all the shorts out it'll start glowing from the top AND bottom versus just the top. Oh, and the spring loaded capture method on the positive post is great, makes it very easy to catch your lead even if you're using something like ribbon wire that's a lot harder to catch under a normal screw.

The AGA's aren't bad, couldn't give you specifics unless I knew which one you were looking at... I have an AGA-T2, and it's OK. Smaller wick holes than the RSST, and the positive post connection takes some getting used to (3 nuts... assuming you're doing single coil, gotta make sure the bottom 2 are TIGHT before you tighten that top one or you're just gonna spin all 3 and probably mess your coil up or pop your lead out from between them). Personally I don't use stainless steel in mine... I make a U-wick of cotton with little/no tails going to the tank and use it as an "auto-dripper". This works great, but not really the way it's designed to be used and a bit harder to set up versus a stainless steel wick.

But yeah... The RSST is definitely the one I would suggest if you haven't used a genesis before. They even have dual coil RSST's out now, so if you're a dual coil fan you should probably check those out :)

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I have just about every genny around and I recommend the pulse genny, you will have a hard time finding one but the clones are good too. They are the best flavor out of anything I've used and they work best with single coil setup and the reducer, plus it doesn't have all the extra heavy metal around like a turbine or kraken to hold heat and it's definitely better than any aga.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
The Pyrex RSST is a great genny. I've had mine for about 2 months now. I have Kayfun Lite+ that I've been using for about 3 months. Both serve me well. A lot of people don't favor genies because they are more work to set up. But I can say after setting up the RSST a couple of times, it takes me no longer to rewick the RSST as it does the Kayfun. With a bit of practice, I'll have a new SS mesh wick and coil in it, filled and ready to go in about 15 minutes.

A couple tips on SS mesh. Torching it really we'll helps tremendously with dealing with the shorts. Pulsing it on a mech vs a regulated mod has much less headaches, just be mindful to use a 1/2 charged battery and do quick pulses.

Have fun with it! It's definitely a great vape!

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I have just about every genny around and I recommend the pulse genny, you will have a hard time finding one but the clones are good too. They are the best flavor out of anything I've used and they work best with single coil setup and the reducer, plus it doesn't have all the extra heavy metal around like a turbine or kraken to hold heat and it's definitely better than any aga.

I have to second this opinion, the Pulse G is a very nicely designed genesis atomizer with an especially large number of options as far as to how you can build it.

In general genesis atomizers are getting a bad rap because they take skill to build, for those who use them they are loved because they are a thing of beauty that works well.

Maurice

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I am also curious about trying a genesis style but the whole mesh thing turns me off a bit. Seems more... intimidating to work with. I'm also quite comfortable with my kayfuns but I may try a genny in the future. How does it vape compared to something like the kayfun? Or shall I say, what are its vaping differences compared to something like the kayfun and why would one prefer a genesis style over a rebuildable tank or dripping style atomizer?

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Just my opinion, But for my money, the best genny out there right now is the Kraken.

just got one and wont look back.

Adjustable air flow, single or dual coil options, very nice atty.

Got dual ribbon coils on mine, total resistance is around 0.49 ohms and its vaping like a champ, even without tilting :D mesh wicks too, though I havent let it go too far blow half so far.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
just got one and wont look back.

Adjustable air flow, single or dual coil options, very nice atty.

Got dual ribbon coils on mine, total resistance is around 0.49 ohms and its vaping like a champ, even without tilting :D mesh wicks too, though I havent let it go too far blow half so far.

I run mine about the same way, except I don't use ribbon wire. Dual mesh wicks. About .5 ohm.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I am also curious about trying a genesis style but the whole mesh thing turns me off a bit. Seems more... intimidating to work with. I'm also quite comfortable with my kayfuns but I may try a genny in the future. How does it vape compared to something like the kayfun? Or shall I say, what are its vaping differences compared to something like the kayfun and why would one prefer a genesis style over a rebuildable tank or dripping style atomizer?

The biggest difference between a well setup Genesis and a KFL, is that the coil and SS wick on the Gen will last for a month or more without replacing it. Where as on a KFL the wick will need replacing every couple of days using cotton and most other wicks. The flavor will be comparable and the vapor production is a little better on the Gen. The build is easier on a KFL, but you're required to do it a lot more often. I hope that helps.

hippesthippo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit, MI
When I first got my Kraken, I kept stubbornly trying to get the wrong size SS Rope to fit using dual coils, which didn't work and I gave up on it. Being that it looks so darn pretty (naval brass ...), I picked it back up again several weeks later and gave cotton a try with dual coils. Nope.. dry hits like crazy. Couldn't take it out with me either, so I basically viewed it as an oversized dripper.. kind of awkward with no real use.

Finally, several months later, just recently actually, I finally picked up some mesh and decided to build it the way gennies were intended. Single coil with a ss mesh wick. (albeit, 6strands of 32g twisted, .7ohms. :>)

Vapes wonderfully now. Glad I stuck with it. Gennies are a unique vape, mesh gives more of a crisp taste than a dense taste. Not a dripper, not a kayfun, but definitely worthwhile. Great, warrrm flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread