health concerns on vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maleta

Apr 8, 2010
ok so dont get me wrong i love vaping.. and the benifits of 4000 carcinogens vs the one ... ill take it :D and i have noticed some major health changes already.

so okay.. regarding lungs. how much impact does this actually do to the lungs

and how different is it than smoke?

i recently quit smoking and i found out i have asthma.. which is weird cause i never really felt it before but now i do.

and how much vaping is to much vaping

i came from being a heavy smoker about 30 a day. originally turkish royals but for the last 2 years it was turkish silvers.

now i vape about 30 ml of 24mg in a bout a week and a half...

so yeah and i might post more questions later if more arise within this topic

Thank you for the responses

budster

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Good question and/or argument. I know the story... Sure, people have smoked for years! We know, that after about X number of years, it could cause cancer and other big problems. But, as far as I'm concerned, with this vaping thing, the jury is still out! Sure, I feel better than I did with analogs. But do we really have any data from people who have vaped for 10 or more years? Yourself, and the other vapers here could be the real Guinea pigs! This stuff is pretty new. So, if you smoke for 20+ years and die of lung cancer, nobody is really surprised... But, whos to say that in 10 years we see a big rash of asthma, or other lung diseases in us "new wavers" who vape?

I'm sure, that who ever invented the cigarette, cigar or pipe, whatever, thought. after 2 - 3 years, they probably thought that the smoking would never hurt them???

We might be in for a big surprise someday, we might be better off. Who knows. This is too new... But, I vape anyways, as I see immediate improvements???

tranced

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
Grand Blanc, Michigan
What one carcinogen are you vaping? Nicotine has many health effects (both potentially positive and negative) but it's not carcinogenic. As far as negative impacts of vaping, as a new vaper I've had the following negatives - most of which were also norms for me when I have quit regular cigarettes in the past.

I cough up a lot of nastiness from my lungs - just like the last time I quit

My throat is sore and my uvula is a bit inflammed - just like the last time I quit. A cold water during vaping times has helped this a bunch though.

I have an increase in flatus - this didn't happen last time I quit tobacco so it could be the vaping, fortunately, I've gotten a few cases of homebrew beer as a grad gift and have been drinking some really hoppy beer.

My sense of smell is improved - making the flatus thing unpleasant.

I was not a heavy smoker by any means but I am a fairly heavy vaper. It's sooo tasty once I got some quality liquids.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I think your body will tell you when enough is enough. As far as the lungs go, there have been NO reported damage done by e-cigs as of yet, ever (as far as I know).

My understanding of PG is that is may even be used to PREVENT the spread of disease so that's saying something.

I like this informative piece that I found somewhere: be sure to watch the video too. THE TRUTH: Cigarettes versus Electronic Cigarettes

Maleta

Apr 8, 2010
from what i heard from the FDA the big push was some chemichal maybe it was pg that was a cancer causing agent. (maybe they did the research in california where everything causes cancer) but thats what i read.

and thank you for all the input people id love to hear more of what people think on this

and yeah i dont feel like its to much its just my body adapting to not smoking i mean id be able to sit outside and smoke half a pack of cigs and not get phased.. so nicotine overdose isnt my concern.. specially when in the past there was a day i had smoked 3 packs in one day... (bad move i know) so this doesnt compare..

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
from what i heard from the FDA the big push was some chemichal maybe it was pg that was a cancer causing agent. (maybe they did the research in california where everything causes cancer) but thats what i read.
The FDA study found a few nitrosamines, which are also found in smoking cessation products in approximately the same concentrations. Those nitrosamines come from the tobacco during the nicotine extraction process, and they are present in cigarettes in concentrations about 1500 times greater. At the concentration found by the FDA in the cartridge they tested, it is pretty much considered negligible.

The FDA study also found approximately 1% DEG in one of the 18 cartridges tested. That could have been a contaminant in the propylene glycol, and the FDA allows 0.1% DEG in products that contain propylene glycol. However, I believe it has been calculated here that for the amount of DEG found in that one cartridge, you would have to vape somewhere on the order of thousands of cartridges per day to get a lethal does.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
We really should have a sticky somewhere that lists the effects of stopping smoking,
One of them is being short of breath or a asthma type effect . This will pass.
It is because the cilla in the lungs are starting to work again and moving deeply buried
mucus /junk in the lungs to expel it. In the meantime it will block airways and create
the short of breath thing. Until it is expelled.
It has been sitting there all these years not moving because cigs stop the cilla from doing their job and moving it out.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I was trying to find something for you, I found a study showing that a few people will have increased respiratory problems as a reaction to PG - it's an allergic reaction, so if this is the case you might feel better if you switch to VG based juices. Experimental exposure to propylene glycol mist in aviation emergency training: acute ocular and respiratory effects -- Wieslander et al. 58 (10): 649 -- Occupational and Environmental Medicine

I also found one saying that some people will have a reaction to their own asthma inhalers - but lost the page - because the mist from the inhaler will give them a bit of an asthmatic reaction until the medicine reaches it's destination. Of course your PV doesn't have the asthma medicine in it so it stands to reason that you could be having the reaction to the mist without the following medicine to make it better. If this is what's happening, switching to VG won't help you since it's the mist itself that's causing it - the same thing would happen in a sauna for example.

Hope that helps.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
We really should have a sticky somewhere that lists the effects of stopping smoking,
One of them is being short of breath or a asthma type effect . This will pass.
It is because the cilla in the lungs are starting to work again and moving deeply buried
mucus /junk in the lungs to expel it. In the meantime it will block airways and create
the short of breath thing. Until it is expelled.
It has been sitting there all these years not moving because cigs stop the cilla from doing their job and moving it out.

I get very upset when I read a thread like this. It's not true for everyone, it doesn't 'pass' for everyone and it can be very harmful to a few. If it just passed for you, you should be grateful.
I also was diagnosed with asthma after I quit smoking. The cilla does get everything moving, finally. And if you have had mild asthma in the past and didn't realize it, it becomes worse. I am also very allergic to pg and darn near died to find it out. I was put on asthma inhalers that had pg in them and I ended up using them more and more until they didn't work and I couldn't breath. Luckily my nebulizer was enough to be able to breath until I could get to a doctor. I almost didn't make it. It took a lot for them to find inhalers without pg and even longer for my throat and lungs to heal again.
If you have a serious reaction to pg, don't take it lightly. Vg is a great alternative. I know my reaction is an exception and not the rule. But there are a few of us out there that really, seriously can't use pg. Those of you in the ecig world who don't react to it are very fortunate, you have many more options. But there are ways to use ecigs and deal with a pg allergy. I've been doing it for over a year.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I get very upset when I read a thread like this. It's not true for everyone, it doesn't 'pass' for everyone and it can be very harmful to a few. If it just passed for you, you should be grateful.
I also was diagnosed with asthma after I quit smoking. The cilla does get everything moving, finally. And if you have had mild asthma in the past and didn't realize it, it becomes worse. I am also very allergic to pg and darn near died to find it out. I was put on asthma inhalers that had pg in them and I ended up using them more and more until they didn't work and I couldn't breath. Luckily my nebulizer was enough to be able to breath until I could get to a doctor. I almost didn't make it. It took a lot for them to find inhalers without pg and even longer for my throat and lungs to heal again.
If you have a serious reaction to pg, don't take it lightly. Vg is a great alternative. I know my reaction is an exception and not the rule. But there are a few of us out there that really, seriously can't use pg. Those of you in the ecig world who don't react to it are very fortunate, you have many more options. But there are ways to use ecigs and deal with a pg allergy. I've been doing it for over a year.

This is valuable info. When I was trying to find some stats to paste here for the OP, I found the sticky about what to expect when you quit smoking and the OP's symptoms weren't mentioned in it. I did end up posting the link to the one showing the correlation between an allergy to PG acerbating or even causing asthma symptoms.

To the OP, try switching to VG - it sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to the PG IMO.

The only other thing I can think of is IF your asthma worsens around car fumes, steam (like boiling pasta), or dust you could be having asthma attacks caused directly by the vapor itself BUT if this was the case you probably would have had these same reactions whenever you smoked too. So I'm back to recommending you switch to VG and DON'T use the PG until you do.

BTW: I pretty sure you can buy VG and try vaping it by itself just to test it out. You should be able to find some at a health food store just make sure it says "USP" on the label.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
so okay.. regarding lungs. how much impact does this actually do to the lungs

Honestly, we won't know for another 10 years. Quite a number of well funded organizations have been trying very hard to find negative effects of vaping over the past year or two, however. The fact that they have only been able to come up with irrational arguments and no hard data gives me a lot of confidence.

vaporJohn

May 6, 2010
Stockton, CA
Yea, thats a tricky topic. I guess nobody can tell the "impact" of ecigs, until there have been made long term studies. So I consider us as the "guinea pig" :)
Anyways, I feel better than when I used to smoke. I haven't been a strong smoker though. The only thing that "bothers" me is that I sometimes swallow some e liquid...
I found here an interesting article. It's an academic research on ecigs.

budster

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My sense of smell is improved - making the flatus thing unpleasant.

Extra unpleasant in my book! My sense of smell has dramatically improved too... So please, stay back! I've had flatus I'd give a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10. Obviously, since I'm getting my sense of smell back, I've been knocking out 10's all along!!!

:evil:

What are your favorite juices? I'm using UltraPure from Innovapor right now and I love it, but I would like to branch out and try some variety.

It's a very subjective question. I always recommend sample packs.

Also, I guess it's best to try a variety - tobacco flavored, fruit flavored, miscellaneous flavored, etc.

Also know that as battery power changes (using a high volt mod, for example) sometimes the flavors do too.

High volt mods are more than just for battery length, also for flavor and throat hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread