First try rebuilding protank 3 coil failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

schapiro72

Jun 20, 2014
Buffalo,NY,USA
I rebuilt my first protank 3 coil but it didnt work. The ohm reading on my mvp 2 was 0.8ohms. I guess I am having trouble getting a tight coil. I have followed several tutorials but just cant get it done. I put on tail through the insert and one out. I assume I did this correctly.'
Is 0.8ohms too low to run the mvp2. I tried to dry fire and it didnt work.

Zombiecan

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
I rebuilt my first protank 3 coil but it didnt work. The ohm reading on my mvp 2 was 0.8ohms. I guess I am having trouble getting a tight coil. I have followed several tutorials but just cant get it done. I put on tail through the insert and one out. I assume I did this correctly.'
Is 0.8ohms too low to run the mvp2. I tried to dry fire and it didnt work.

What gauge wire? Kanthal or nichrome? What diameter are you wrapping the wire on? How many wraps?

... Sent from my LG G2

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Both on a 5/64 drill bit

10 wraps of 28 gauge will give you around 1.7 ohms

Or

7 wraps of 30 gauge will give you around 1.6 ohms.

For what it's worth I failed several times building my Kangers, I would get the coils right and didn't use enough cotton and flooded them more than once.

Keep at it, once you get the first couple right you will be knocking them out with no problem. And the taste and vapor production you'll get out of those Kangers will be well worth the time and trouble.

I use either of these in my PT2's. Both fit nicely.

Good luck!

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Buffalo, NY, USA
Can you guys show some pics of your builds. Im having a hard time.

Hey, another guy from Buffalo! What's up?

If you wanna get your coil wraps tighter, a good way to do so is once you're done wrapping pinch the coil together on the drillbit. If it's still not good enough, pull it off and get yourself a lighter. A torch is even better if you have one. Hold one of the leads and put the coil itself in the flame until it glows red. Take a pair of tweezers and pinch it together tightly, repeat this a couple times if you wish. The coil will come out near-perfect, if not actually perfect.

If the protank 3 base is anything like an evod base it's an absolute pain in the ... to fit the coil in the base, especially with 28 gauge. I'm sure you know this by now, but if the coil touches the sides at all it'll cause a short. Hope this helps. I'd show you a picture of my evod build, if it wasn't completely black.

I use one of those mini double-edged screwdrivers to wrap them, not sure of the diameter. It's slightly smaller than 1/16th. I do about 10-11 wraps of the 28 gauge around it to arrive at my final result, which is around 1.5 ohms.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
28 gauge 1/16 bit 10 wraps. I have problems with the first and last wrap and keeping them tight with the rest. Do you guys keep the coil on the drill bit and insert it into the base. I read a tutorial showing a 5/64 bit into the base. I cant get it to fit.

If you have some round toothpicks in the house they fit nicely into your 5/64 coil and then into the bottom section of your build. Second time I posted this one tonight :) He doesn't use the toothpick but it's great for keeping the coil in place while you're working.

Jack NMI Stecker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Need to get you some NR-R-NR wire. has low resistance silver wire leads on a precut res wire. Come in packs of 50-100 . The original coils use this if you look at one you will see the welds. Can get them in resistances from 1.5ish to 4 ohms.
If you don't use this you will burn the insulator and be vaping that stuff. I use ekowool for my wicks and it is an improvement. The newer enclosed heads can be rebuilt but are harder. Lots of videos on doing them though.

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
28 gauge 1/16 bit 10 wraps. I have problems with the first and last wrap and keeping them tight with the rest. Do you guys keep the coil on the drill bit and insert it into the base. I read a tutorial showing a 5/64 bit into the base. I cant get it to fit.

Use 30 or 32 gauge.. Its a really tight fit for 28, you might be shorting a part of your coil.

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
Need to get you some NR-R-NR wire. has low resistance silver wire leads on a precut res wire. Come in packs of 50-100 . The original coils use this if you look at one you will see the welds. Can get them in resistances from 1.5ish to 4 ohms.
If you don't use this you will burn the insulator and be vaping that stuff. I use ekowool for my wicks and it is an improvement. The newer enclosed heads can be rebuilt but are harder. Lots of videos on doing them though.

Here ya go.. 32ga, 1.5ohm, fairly tight.. NR-R-NR wire : https://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10007182/1591703

schapiro72

Jun 20, 2014
Buffalo,NY,USA
20140629_073357.jpg

How does this look? Can you show me some pictures of your wicks?

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Looks good. Might use a bit of trimming, but as long as it fits inside the tank.... I'd use it. What I usually do to "judge trimming" the cotton is I'll place my cutter (with cotton between the blades) against the metal and almost touching the rubber, then cut. Just what works for me anyway....

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA

Midniteoyl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2014
Indiana
View attachment 351397

How does this look? Can you show me some pictures of your wicks?

Wick looks good from what I can see.. Heres a pic of my rebuilds using a cross-cross coil setup. This one fits some of my MT3S's and turns them into dual coils. 1.2ohms using 2 2.4ohm NR-R-NR coils posted earlier.

WP_20140602_001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread