Status
Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
My favorite attys have just gotten too difficult to obtain... I'd like to go on a rant that would be a couple of paragraphs... but suffice it to say that after 3 years of pretty much sticking to one vendor, the whole experience is going down hill.

So, what all do I have to have to stock the rm2 with coils and wicks? And what extras should I have? 1.5-1.8 ohm coils are fine for me. I don't feel any particular need to sub ohm.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
My favorite attys have just gotten too difficult to obtain... I'd like to go on a rant that would be a couple of paragraphs... but suffice it to say that after 3 years of pretty much sticking to one vendor, the whole experience is going down hill.

So, what all do I have to have to stock the rm2 with coils and wicks? And what extras should I have? 1.5-1.8 ohm coils are fine for me. I don't feel any particular need to sub ohm.
30ga. kanthal and organic cotton for wicking...Personally, I use BOTH a "through-the-coil" wick and a VERY SMALL bit of cotton UNDER the coil (be sure NOT to block the juice feed/return hole!!)
You didn't mention it....but, if you don't already have one, a multimeter and/or an ohm reader are a MUST when building coils for a mech mod.....I find 1.2-1.3 ohms to be my personal "sweet spot", but YMMV.....Good luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
DasBluCig pretty much nailed it. For your ohm preference, I would use 28 but either would work. After trying a ton of different wicking materials, Koh Gen Do cotton is my absolute favorite.

The RM2 is an exceptional atomizer and you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend checking out super_X_drifters video tutorials for all the nitty gritty.

Last edited:

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Six, an Artistic Wire Gadget will make you a great coil builder. 28, 29, 30 ga. Kanthal wire, Koh Gen Do cotton per Super X's vid, a sharp pair of scissors and an ohm meter.

Here is a good vid by Flavored using the Gadget. Also Super X has a good one doing the same thing.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/510520-coils-made-easy.html

Also you made a great choice in the RM2 atty. It is as good as it gets!!

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Six, I know you will succeed bro. I know you will build your own coils and sit back and go damn I should have done this a long time ago. Your vape is about to go all epic.

I recommend 29 ga wire (cause it's a little thicker than 30 but no so thick as 28 that your screws loosen) and cotton wick. If you can get Koh Gen Do, I'd highly recommend it because it's the simplest cotton I've used as a wick.

Don't hesitate to PM if there's anything I can do to assist.

I also recommend the artistic wire coil gizmo :)

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I probably should have mentioned why I need to stay at or above 1.5 ohms... this will primarily be used on a VV Woodville. The notcigs chips are touchy below 1.5. I think my particular example in my vv woodville will see ~1.25 or so as a short. It has been a while since I tested it, but as I recall, the chip in my vvpv would see ~1.4 as a short and the chip in my woodvill was a little lower.

I appreciate the responses very much. Thanks! ---- And I'll sort out the cotton first. Google tells me I can get the recommended stuff, but I'll have to verify. - I still have the RM1 I never opened and a bunch of silica plus 3 feet each of 28 and 32 ga kanthal. I'll start with the 28, but if I read that fastech site right, 50 coils for two bucks seems pretty reasonable. Any negatives to comment on using those?

Anyway RM2 ordered.

hubseven

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
New York
DasBluCig pretty much nailed it. For your ohm preference, I would use 28 but either would work. After trying a ton of different wicking materials, Koh Gen Do cotton is my absolute favorite.

The RM2 is an exceptional atomizer and you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend checking out super_X_drifters video tutorials for all the nitty gritty.

What do you feel is the advantage of the Kho Gen Do cotton over regular? Where does one buy it? Thanks.

barstoll

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
USA
What do you feel is the advantage of the Kho Gen Do cotton over regular? Where does one buy it? Thanks.

It's all organic. No chemicals, bleachers or pigments. My favorite part is all the fibers have been combed, and are laying parallel. It's much easier to work with than balls or rolled cotton.

I ordered my Koh Gen Do from Amazon. A quick search just came up with a 60 pad box for $30. That's a hefty increase. I got mine a few weeks ago for $12. I'm not sure where else to get any. Hopefully some one more knowledgeable will chime in.

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
I probably should have mentioned why I need to stay at or above 1.5 ohms... this will primarily be used on a VV Woodville. The notcigs chips are touchy below 1.5. I think my particular example in my vv woodville will see ~1.25 or so as a short. It has been a while since I tested it, but as I recall, the chip in my vvpv would see ~1.4 as a short and the chip in my woodvill was a little lower.

I appreciate the responses very much. Thanks! ---- And I'll sort out the cotton first. Google tells me I can get the recommended stuff, but I'll have to verify. - I still have the RM1 I never opened and a bunch of silica plus 3 feet each of 28 and 32 ga kanthal. I'll start with the 28, but if I read that fastech site right, 50 coils for two bucks seems pretty reasonable. Any negatives to comment on using those?

Anyway RM2 ordered.

If you can wait till Xmas Fasteck should do fine. Here Kanthal Wire 30 Gauge RW0105 - 25 FT 0.1oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG is the go to place for most of us and we know what we are getting. Fastech not so much. Fastech usually takes a month or so to get here.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Where does one buy it? Thanks.

I found someone on ebay who has repackaged smaller amounts. 5 sheets for $3.75 shipped. I'd imagine a sheet will make a bunch of wicks, so I didn't get too concerned about cost per sheet vs finding it in larger quantities.

As a side note, I also found a creative wire coil gizmo on ebay for 8 bucks shipped.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
OK. I do see why folks want to sub-ohm a rebuildable. It behaves different.

The RM2 came today (thanks for the super fast shipping, Rob! That was cool). I finally found a minute to have a go with it just now. I don't have all the other stuff I ordered (wire gizmo, cotton, etc) but I did have some silica I bought with my still-unused RM1 and a little half-threaded half-smooth machine screw loose on my desk, so I just guessed at how much 28ga to cut and guessed at # of wraps on a ~2mm screw (I guessed 12). When the coil was installed and the ends trimmed, it was exactly 1.5 ohms. That's what I was looking for, so I was pleased with my uneducated guess being right.

After metering, I put it on the 14500 mini and the coil glowed right up. So far so good.

I only really had two challenges. One was the little bitty holes in the posts and getting the coil legs (? right word, "legs"?) inserted because even with my readers, my old eyes were none too happy with that chore. - And the other was figuring out how to get 3mm silica through a 2mm hole, but when I failed at fishing it through with a piece of wire, I realized I should just line up the twists in the silica with the twists in the coil and pretend the coil was helicoil. That worked slick - really easy. Just screw it in and trim off the ends.

I put it on the the mini and squonked up some juice and watched the wick soak it right up. Again - so far so good. I pushed the button and watched it make vapor... so far so good. I screwed the top on and went to have my first RM2 vape... and it was less than stellar. So... huh. OK. I put it on my VVW which was set around 3.5v for the 1.5 ohm 306 that had been on it... and again, less than stellar. I spun off the RM2 and checked my ohms with a different meter. 1.5. I put it back on and gave it ~4.4v, and there was the cloud I was expecting. 12W is quite a lot higher than I've been vaping for quite a while... but this sure doesn't feel or taste like 12W. From a 306, i06, or a cisco aero, 12W would normally make the juice I'm using not so very palatable. It tastes pretty good right where I'm at with the RM2... though I suppose some fine tuning will happen in the morning.

So, my immediate conclusion is that this sort of rebuildable behaves a lot different than any of the attys I'd normally use. I can easily see why folks want to make sub ohm coils for their mechanicals... and why those same folks are so concerned about their voltage drop. To get to the exact same production I have right now, it would require 3.5v after drop and a 1.0 ohm coil... so ~.9 or whatever it is that's popular seems pretty reasonable.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hey Six I am glad your finally jumping in . The biggest difference is a standard atomizer has no air flow on a rebuildable you have allot of air flow so yes you do have to go lower to get the same results . The larger amount of air flow cools the vapor . I run a 1 ohm coil on my atomizers with the stock 3/64 hole If I used a 1/16 hole I would have to drop my ohms even lower . What is really odd to me is why guys put massive holes in there atomizer and have to vape super low ohm coils . To me it seems like such a waste of battery power and juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread