V3tronix Flip V3 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetfish

Sep 8, 2013
ihiZevu.jpg

Introduction:

So let's put this out on the table first, the mod is heavily engraved. If your the type of person who loves simple minimalist design, this is not for you. However, if your the type of person who is wanting something different than just a plain 'o tube mod, then this might be what you have been waiting for. When I first saw pictures of this mod, I was slightly turned off by it. I'm the type of person who loves the sleek simple designs such as the Nemesis, the GP paps X, and the Caravela. However as time went by, and the market slowly becoming more saturated with mods that share similar attributes as one another, the Flip V3 is a breath of fresh air. I kept the website bookmarked, but was hesitant to purchase. Slowly as time passed, the mod's design grew on me, and I've grown to appreciate it more and more every day. So finally I gave in and bought one, and very glad I did so. This mod has become one of my favorites. Considering that I own more than 16 different mechanical mods, that is saying a lot. I can still recall the day it came into the mail, opening the box for the first time and having my jaws fall to the floor. The Flip v3 is stunning, beautiful, and truly a sight to behold. The machining is impeccable, the design is innovative, and the overall appearance is magnificent. I'd often find myself carrying the mod to vape meets, or just a local B & M, and having people approach me asking what I was holding in my hands. They would then take pictures of it, ask to hold it, and fall in love with it.

So yes, I'm absolutely smitten with it, however since design is subjective I will not be including this aspect for my review. Rather I will be focusing on it's performance, how its built, and what makes this mod truly unique and innovative from the rest of the market. So lets begin!

xqJOeJe.jpg

pdzLubi.jpg

Bottom Switch:

At first glance the switch appears similar as any other switch, however it's a whole different beast inside . Let's start with the locking mechanism, the bottom button is the locking switch in itself. It is a quarter turn to lock, and vise versa. No longer the days of having to spin the locking ring 2-4 full rotations to lock and unlock. The turn itself was slightly crunchy at first, and I found myself unscrewing the switch rather than locking it. However after a few weeks of usage, the locking mechanism became softer, and I grew accustomed to how to lock and unlock it. You hear a very satisfying click sound whenever it falls into place, offering an audio confirmation that it has indeed been locked or unlock. So if at first you struggle with the locking switch, just keep using it and familiarise yourself with it. The indentation of the switch with the knurling of the switch offers a visual indication if the switch is locked, and when it is unlocked. When the grooves line with with the knurling the switch is fully unlocked, and vice versa.

The button itself is fantastic, and is one of my favorite switches to use. It’s sturdy, smooth, and works incredibly well. The throw is relatively short (About 1mm travel), and could be triggered from all any surface within the button(including the very edge). No matter what area is pushed, button slides back and forth with almost no resistance at all. It is difficult to find a switch that I truly enjoy, and only a few mod creators actually get's the switch to this level of quality. On the bottom of the switch we see a CNC’ed engraving with two different textures, one being polished stainless steel, and the deeper layer being a sandblasted finish.

54tk40p.jpg

EvqrJlR.jpg

6sy1v8z.jpg

*Provided by v3tronix*

Body/Tubes:

This is where things get very intriguing. Hands down this is the most innovative aspect of this mod. It’s a telescopic body similar to Grand Vapor’s M16 mod, but reinventing how telescoping works. The two top and bottom tubes could be reversed (Flipped around) for different size batteries, and could also accommodate kicks. To telescope the battery takes only a few turns, and the batteries will fit nice and snug, very convenient if you're the type of person who switches different batteries often. The mod accepted every batteried I threw at it, including various different brands, nipple tops, and flat tops with no issues. However it does not work with 18350 batteries. This might be an issue for people who love smaller mods. This thing is big, bulky, and seriously heavy duty. The top and bottom tubes have these small indentations that reveal what configuration your mod is set up for, and could be flipped around to adjust for specific battery configurations. The smaller the battery, the less engravings the main tube is revealed. I found myself wishing I could show off the whole tube, however I need to run it with a 18650 battery plus a kick to do so. This is really saddening for me because I really want to use the mod in its entirety, with the full engravings displayed, but don’t want to use a kick.
*UPDATE*
V3tronix has now started production on spacers so you can keep your 650*without kick* and still show the full tube.

The sizes of each tube is:
Three Tubes
Width of smallest tube - 23.03mm - .906"
Width of widest tube - 25.4mm - 1"
Length of the shortest tube - 25.47mm - 1"
Length of the longest tube - 63.61mm - 2.5"
(Taken from their site)

How the telescoping design works:
The top and bottom tubes have two types of threading on each side. One that extends longer to fit smaller sized batteries, and the other shorter to accommodate bigger batteries. By flipping the tubes around, you can set up the combination for whatever your configuration requires, may it be a 650+kick, 650, 500+kick, or 500. All you have to do is flip the tube, and thread it in (approx 3-4 full rotations) and that's it. There are small indentations imprinted on the edge of the tube, to help give you a visualization of configuration your currently at. (Look at the instructions guide above)

The body is incredibly detailed with its engravings. From the two lions on the side, to each individual screw imprinted on the top and bottom tubes. Some of these engravings go as deep as 2 mm's and are layered on top of one another for a 3D appearance. The machining is impeccable, and detailed. All the engravings are done by a CNC machine, and nothing is lasered. The top most layer is a polished finished, and the deeper engravings are a sandblasted SS texture that is similar to the switch. The threading in the tubes are great, with no crunchiness in the threading whatsoever. The center of the tube, there are three holes drilled out for ventilation in case of the unfortunate event of batteries venting. If there is one thing that we know about V3tronix, it is that their machining quality is one of the best in the market. Look up any reviews on their .50 Cal mod, and see how everyone is raving about how great their machining it is.

7NGef5i.jpg

iyZu8JL.jpg

Top cap:

The top cap is extremely versatile, and well thought out. the 510 connection is spring adjusted to automatically make connection for any RBA placed on top. The bottom connection pin could be adjusted to help with any battery rattled, however since the tube is telescoping I found myself never needing to adjust it, but the option is there just in case. Within the top cap, we see this flower like design which allows airflow in case you use an atty that requires to draw air from the 510. There are indentations within the outer ring for air to be drawn, unfortunately there is no option to adjust for airflow.

All the pins are 24k gold plated hard D. To summarize what hard D is *Giggles like a school girl*, it is the scale in which plating is rated on. A grade being the softest plating which would rub off easily, and D being the hardest *chuckles again*. As expected the higher the grade, the more expensive it is, and also the longer the plating will also last.

EzJtnAN.jpg

Conclusion:

So how does it perform? The answer is it performs marvelously. I have tested it on my multi-meter with a freshly charged battery of 4.2 v, and got 4.0 v when fired. This falls below my GP Paps x, equivalent to my SS nemesis, and out performs my SS chi you. Of course my testing setup is not as ideal as Jkuro’s, but it’s good enough to give me a rough estimate.This mod hits very well, and outperforms many other mod’s that I own. It feels sturdy in my hands, and offers a very reassuring quality of weight to it. The mod itself is made from 304 SS, and currently comes in 4 different variety of finishes; 24k gold plated Hard D (chuckles), two toned with silver and black, titanium, and pure SS. This mod will also most likely never be cloned, because the process of CNC engrave the main tube itself takes about 25 mins, another 20 mins to sandblast and polish, and in total roughly over and hour and a half to make just one flip. It is a very slow process and because of this, cloning and mass production is just not very liable.

The Flip V3 has found a place in my heart, and is now my second favorite mod. I did find myself having a difficult time finding an RBA to match with the design of the mod. Everything seems to be out of place on top of this mod. The closest RBA that shares somewhat similar design elements was the trident, and the atomic. Other than that everything just looks plain when paired with the Flip V3. With no major flaws, and just overall a very amazing performer. If you're looking in the market for something different, I cannot recommend the Flip V3 enough. Beware that the price of this mod is not cheap, and will run you around $250. However I have paid much higher for mods that simply do not perform as well as this one. This mod tries new and innovative designs that work fantastically with one another. I really tried to look for flaws before writing this review, and couldn’t really find any huge complaints. All a while falling in love with it more.

+Great and innovative way to telescope.
+Connection pins are coated in 24k Hard D *Giggles*
+Self adjusting spring loaded top pin
+Manual adjusting if needed
+Feels like a very premium high quality mod in hand
+Very intricate CNC’ed engravings
+Machining is great
+The switch is amazing
+Short locking and unlocking distance
+Works with almost every battery (exception of 350’s)
+Performs exceptionally
+Comes with a carrying pouch
+Probably won't get cloned

+-Will get a lot of attention from everyone
+-Heavily engraved
+-The locking mechanism is stiff and difficult at first
+-Big and bulky
+- Needs a kick to fully show off engravings

-No adjustable airflow
-Cannot be used with 18350 batteries
-Hard to find any atty's to match it's design

It gets a 4.9 out of 5.

PS. I really love this mod.

Where to buy: V3 Flip - V3tronix - Advanced Vape Tech

Last edited:

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Personal engraving is an option - unless you get it from Cloud9Vaping.co.uk - they decided to put THEIR OWN engraving on it - and have YOU advertise for them!!!!! I made note of that on their own post - and they deleted it...
Spend THIS MUCH for a mod - and have them put THEIR name on it - I don't think so.....

MrTomkat

Jun 8, 2014
Germany
Great review Sweet - I would buy one in a minute if they had a user serviceable button - I dont like the idea of having to send it back to manufacturer for repair.

Yes you can repair it yourself rather easily i might add, the spring inside the switch is a crappy piece of ...., looks like they just coiled a safety pin IMO lol. But yes you can service it

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
Yes you can repair it yourself rather easily i might add, the spring inside the switch is a crappy piece of ...., looks like they just coiled a safety pin IMO lol. But yes you can service it
I don't know what Flip you have, but the button on the Flip is press fit. You can't disassemble it. V3Tronix has stated this many times. I have a Flip serial # 2064. If you have a problem with the button you have to contact the company and then send the whole button into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread