>>>Contest Time<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across this article this morning and really enjoyed it. It is so nice to see a news outlet like NBC write something so unbiased. Share this with your friends and comment on here to let me know what you think. I will choose a winner from the comments on Friday the 25th for a $100 gift certificate to SmokelessImage.com.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]"We know cigarettes kill you. And we know what in cigarettes kill you. And we know that vaping does not contain the things in cigarettes that kill you,"

[/FONT]
Inside the Vaper's Den: E-Cig Salvation, and New Dangers - NBC News

krisjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2014
Maine
This, things like this, mainstream, positive, factual information, this is what the vaping community needs more of. It is one thing to have forums, youtube videos, Facebook postings, but in general, the vast majority of the public will never see those things or go to those videos to be informed about vaping. Mainstream media attention, positive mainstream media attention that can be nothing but good. There are alot of brothers and sisters who have no idea that there is an alternative to smoking, those people still need to be reached, they to have the right to break away from the death sticks. If they can be gotten to from pieces like this, then that alone is worth spreading this far and wide. I have spread this article to my entire contacts list, I have also have sent it to all freinds and family, I will keep spreading it, along with other factual, positive info, if just a small percentage of those people also spread it, more people can be reached, more people can break from the cigs. As far as the contest thanks very much for the chance, I know I sure as hell could use that prize right now.

KaitLynnHt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I love this. Finally a positive article that doesn't sound like vapers simply painting a pretty picture. I've been trying to get family into vaping... and those already starting vaping into devices they'll actually enjoy. Hopefully this will help.

As for the bit of negativity at the end, I think its funny how the companies that use unscrupulous methods and make a bad name for everyone else are almost always owned by big tobacco companies. Maybe tobacco companies should be the ones banned.

ToxicRVA

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Richmond, Va, USA
I too believe there needs to be more positive articles from reputable sources such as NBC, the majority of what people searching the internet find for information on e-cigs and vaping are blog posts endorsing cloud chasing and making it seem more like a sport than a way to rid ones self of the worse aspects of smoking cigarettes. Before reading it, I was unaware that some of the cig-alike companies were pushing their products as hard as they were, sure, I've seem the commercials, but I didn't think they were passing them out on the subway.

Personally, I never liked the cigarette look alikes, I NEVER wanted to try them and to this day, never have, so they (companies like BLU and NJOY), would never get my support or business even if they paid me to try them.

I started with a budget refillable starter kit and I was cigarette free in 3 days, I've started regaining my sense of smell and am already breathing better. Sure there are no long term studies at this point letting us know how e-cigs will affect us 20 years down the road but, as the article said, "vapers aren't waiting for science or the government to tell them what they know in their lungs to be true"

I have shared the article on facebook and sent the link to some other friends in hopes that they too will share it on thier pages to reach other friends they have that smoke that may be looking for a way to quit all those extra chemicals that are slowly killing us.

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
It's a good article and has a lot of truth in it. It does bug me that it ends with a negative quote from the former NYC (surprise!) health commissioner, it will leave the readers with that negative thought. Those on the fence about vaping will have a reason to forget all the positives, sort of like, hmmm ecigs, blah blah blah, marketing to innocent teens. :facepalm:

Also, food coloring is not in ALL juice. Okay, maybe I'm a bit defensive about vaping.

It's a good article and has a lot of truth in it. It does bug me that it ends with a negative quote from the former NYC (surprise!) health commissioner, it will leave the readers with that negative thought. Those on the fence about vaping will have a reason to forget all the positives, sort of like, hmmm ecigs, blah blah blah, marketing to innocent teens. :facepalm:

Also, food coloring is not in ALL juice. Okay, maybe I'm a bit defensive about vaping.

I thought the same thing but it does say that the 5 ingredients (including food coloring) are "FDA-certified" and the last few lines are all in quotation marks. They are actually things that have been said at the hearings that have been going on all from ill informed members of the FDA.

EDIT: I also love this part ''As the steam entered his nostrils, he began coughing and filled the drain with "lung cookies," heavy, green and black chunks of mucus. Vaping was giving his respiratory system a chance to start working through a 30-year backlog, he said.''

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa
i dont need the fda or the American Lung association to tell me what i already know.Vaping is Better for you!!!!
its all about the money.
im glad some are working hard on getting the word out that vaping is sooo much better for you!
i loved this part
" digging through garbage for old butts to burn when they bolt up from sleep in the middle of the night, out of cigarettes, and out of their minds for a fix."
i soooo remember doing this!!!!!!!

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well I am going to try to keep this positive......(note I said "TRY")....I have 2 points to make clear....
While I am happy that they are keeping in the news & trying to keep people informed of the $2 Billion industry..Some truth.....but they always play up to the big boy names(Blu and NJOY)....just like all of the FDA approved RX drugs.....has anyone else noticed the long list of lawsuits for just about every drug out there????? If they have been deemed safe by the FDA...why are there so many lawsuits over people taking the drug that was prescribed to you by your doctor???? They release all of those without knowing the long term effects......Why is there so much worry about e cigs?????
And speaking of prescriptions....Living is WA has opened my eyes with the legal sale of MJ...I watch the news where they always show the weirdest people with the biggest joints to show you what is being done with it..the misuse of it.....I look at e cigs with the same eyes as MJ..they like to show you the people who are using it in the wildest manor...without all of the safety that most of us use...what about the normal people???? I just want to vape in peace....They want to control how much you can have & how much you can buy at 1 time...what kind you can buy..the whole thing is just wrong(freedom?)....

I think I am done...sorry for not keeping it positive....(I didn't even get into the marketing aspect)

remark

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I agree with everybody. Good piece and we need lots more like it. It did read like the writer was stretching to balance out the good things in the article with some of the bad, but it would have been nice to have done more explaining of what the main ingredients of e-liquid are and that we do know quite a lot about pg and vg.

Thank for the nice contest and showing us this article!

JoanJ

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2014
WV
I found the article very interesting. I guess after all the bad press, any little bit of non-negative is something to celebrate but even the title of the article has a dark cloud hanging over it. I guess I read it as more just sitting on the fence waiting to see which way the wind blows. Hopefully others both vapers and non vapers will use this in a positive way. I can't imagine that there are many people in the country that if they don't smoke, can say that they don't know anyone that doesn't. We need to reach the non vapers too because of this.

I do believe the negative was brought in because of the money to be made by taxing all of the vape related items they possibly can. I also think studies are emerging that disprove the negative health aspects of vaping but I am not so sure that our government or several industries really want us any healthier. Health care, drug companies, many medical device companies, hospitals and so many others stand to lose a great deal if not treating smoking related illnesses and the government with all those on medicare and them living longer...

iota

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
In transit
I feel like we are so starved for anything that isn't terribly biased on the negative side that we cheer for something that is basically just marginally better than neutral. I'm just recognizing that my perception may be warped from months of bad press. That being said, don't get me wrong, I am happy to see this article and I'll take it! LOL

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
I agree that it's quite refreshing to see anything non-negative from the media with respect to vaping. Unfortunately, there'll always be the financial side of things present to cloud the reporting waters. The vaping industry brought in an estimated $2 BILLION in 2013 and continues to grow exponentially. I'd say that it's a fair assumption that Big Tobacco (with all their lobbyists and pull) aren't particularly pleased that they've lost such an enormous amount of their recurrent annual income and sees the writing on the wall with said growth.
How many of us can even fathom 2 billion of anything?!?!? Folks, that is 2,000 piles of 1,000,000....here's another: If you sat down to count from one to two billion, you would be counting for 190 years!! Last comparative, a stack of 2 billion sheets of paper (or dollar bills) is 166 feet 8 inches tall....almost a 17 story building! Ok, you get the point.
Given all of that loss by one (or more) of the most wealthy, powerful and therefore influential industries in the nation (or world?) I must commend ANYone willing to even try to tell the truth about vaping It IS safer!! :thumb:
Also, try to name ANY industry or enterprise that is not taxed, yet still legal?? Free country? Sure, as long as you pay for it! ;)

ETA Still, unequivocably the best country in the world! :)

Last edited:

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
It's a wonderful article. I hope we'll start to see a lot more of them as time goes on. I have no doubt (never did) in my mind that it was big t and pharma that started this whole broohaha. They are loosing a lot of money. Even with their own 'contributions' to try and cash in on the market, they are not competitive to the real vaping community, and they'd be hard pressed to ever be competitive with the independant, vape-only merchants and inventors. My hope is that in spite of the money from big T and P the FDA won't be able to skew the findings when it comes out from all of their crazy "investigations, testing and research" that e-cigs are by FAR safer, if not even completelyl safe, and a good method of smoking cessation that far beats any out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread