Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Saw this on another forum, complete BS or is there a method to his madness?
Vap0rj0es said:
Ill just leave this here...

Evolv is coming out with a new board that also controls temperature.

Provape is coming out with a new Provari that goes to 24 watts with an all new display.

This is all confirmed. I do not have pictures at this time. Within 2 months.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It's possible. The temp thing is separate - not about the ProVape.
24 watts and a new display is within the realm of feasible...and Joe Blow knows people who know people, so maybe he got some info...
I dunno.
I'm curious about the little things - size, shape, finishes, top-caps, battery configurations, compatibility...god knows I don't want to start another beauty ring collection!

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
It's possible. The temp thing is separate - not about the ProVape.
24 watts and a new display is within the realm of feasible...and Joe Blow knows people who know people, so maybe he got some info...
I dunno.
I'm curious about the little things - size, shape, finishes, top-caps, battery configurations, compatibility...god knows I don't want to start another beauty ring collection!

Not utilizing a flat top design would be unwise.

A whole new taper would be epically stupid.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I call BS. Atleast for some of it. If he's talking about coil temperature then the only way a chip could control it would be to have a sensor near the coil to provide feedback to the chip of coil temperature. That would take some bit of programming and engineering.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Without a sensor you could simply enter the coil gauge and number of coils. The device would detect the resistance and come up with the coil surface area on its own. From there it would be a calculation based on wattage being spread out over the surface area, resulting in an estimated heat range. You could have presets for your builds. Select your 28ga, 1.5ohm single coil preset and choose the temperature range for the type of juice you will be vaping. After all, wattage doesn't create vapor, but heat does.

winder

Jul 5, 2014
Virginia Beach
All speculation, but Provape seems to be pretty conservative. I'd guess maybe different engraving on the tube. Maybe just adding a "3". Minimal expense on their part if they can drop a new board into the existing design. Plus they can sell board upgrades. Add VW, a slight power increase (slight because the components have to fit onto the current board footprint), and maybe an extra display digit. Don't think there's big changes afoot. Not like they're gonna screw up a good thing and release a box mod.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
All speculation, but Provape seems to be pretty conservative. I'd guess maybe different engraving on the tube. Maybe just adding a "3". Minimal expense on their part if they can drop a new board into the existing design. Plus they can sell board upgrades. Add VW, a slight power increase (slight because the components have to fit onto the current board footprint), and maybe an extra display digit. Don't think there's big changes afoot. Not like they're gonna screw up a good thing and release a box mod.

The continued sale of the v2.5 begs to differ. If it were that small of a change, there's no reason they'd be selling both of them side by side.

winder

Jul 5, 2014
Virginia Beach
The continued sale of the v2.5 begs to differ. If it were that small of a change, there's no reason they'd be selling both of them side by side.

Just from a business standpoint, say your company is growing by manufacturing and selling a product that the critics are saying is outdated. So you come up with a new design that's current, but it costs 50 bucks more. You're already at the high end of the price scale for what it is. Would it make sense to drop a product that's in demand for an even more expensive one - rather than offer people who don't need those new added features a lower cost alternative?

Provape has a very simple business model. They make a safe, reliable, high quality product - and back it up with excellent customer support. They're not trying to appeal to the cloud chasing crowd, so they don't need to double the device's output. Just having what's considered the indusrty standard feature set, a little more power, and superior build quality and reliability is going to sell the v3.

They've also become their own worst enemy - because what they currently make is so good. They've got to watch the cost of the v3, or it won't sell. And if they cut corners to hold down the cost (like making it out of aluminum, or thinner stainless) they'd probably have a near revolt from the current customer base. After all, if I order a v3 it better be as nice as my previous ProVari.

So about all that leaves is an updated product that continues to do what its always done. Nothing radically different - these guys aren't very radical.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Just from a business standpoint, say your company is growing by manufacturing and selling a product that the critics are saying is outdated. So you come up with a new design that's current, but it costs 50 bucks more. You're already at the high end of the price scale for what it is. Would it make sense to drop a product that's in demand for an even more expensive one - rather than offer people who don't need those new added features a lower cost alternative?

Provape has a very simple business model. They make a safe, reliable, high quality product - and back it up with excellent customer support. They're not trying to appeal to the cloud chasing crowd, so they don't need to double the device's output. Just having what's considered the indusrty standard feature set, a little more power, and superior build quality and reliability is going to sell the v3.

They've also become their own worst enemy - because what they currently make is so good. They've got to watch the cost of the v3, or it won't sell. And if they cut corners to hold down the cost (like making it out of aluminum, or thinner stainless) they'd probably have a near revolt from the current customer base. After all, if I order a v3 it better be as nice as my previous ProVari.

So about all that leaves is an updated product that continues to do what its always done. Nothing radically different - these guys aren't very radical.

You're missing the point. They're not dropping the v2.5. It's been said by a representative of the company, publicly, that the P3 will be sold alongside the v2.5. Otherwise I wouldn't disagree with you one bit.

winder

Jul 5, 2014
Virginia Beach
You're missing the point. They're not dropping the v2.5. It's been said by a representative of the company, publicly, that the P3 will be sold alongside the v2.5. Otherwise I wouldn't disagree with you one bit.

I was never claiming they were dropping the 2.5 In the original reply, you seemed to suggested there were greater changes involved than cosmetics, a small power increase, the display, and VW.

I was simply stating why I felt they would continue to sell them side by side with that small of a change.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I wish I knew what the P3 will be like, but that won't stop me from speculating the reason for why a company might say that. If you had a lot of inventory in stock and people were starting to hold off on buying the 2.5 because they wanted to wait for the P3, could it make sense to say that the 2.5 will still be sold? It would ease people's fears about buying an obsolete product.

If the P3 is the same type of device as the 2.5, just better, then i'd expect them to continue to sell the 2.5, just like they said they would. Continuing to sell the 2.5 after the P3 is released might be aimed more at selling 2.5's now rather than later. Just a guess. You can still buy a Provape-1 can't you? Would you have bought a provape 1 if you knew the 2.0 was about to be released? Not if you had the money for a 2.0.

I think a higher priced, higher end 3.0 would make for a perfect range of products. The simple and affordable Provape-1 with its high quality yet simple, basic function, the 2.5 for the more advanced vaper, and then the 3.0 for the enthusiast class vaper. Sounds good to me. Now just release the bleeping thing so I can snatch one up!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I personally was impressed with the number of former aerospace engineers that Provape employs. What innovations did Nasa bring to the general public? Smaller, miniturized electrical components. Energy-efficient products. Anything else?

I envision a smaller, more energy-efficient, simpler interface, yet more powerful, device.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...So you come up with a new design that's current, but it costs 50 bucks more. You're already at the high end of the price scale for what it is...
Funny...I've seen mechs that sell for more; sometimes, much more. I strongly suspect that the most complicated mechanical mod out there is still easier and cheaper to put together than a ProVari.

Also, when the price of "quality" (and I use that word loosely) Chinese DNA clones is pushing the $100-150 range, the ProVari's price seems low in comparison. When was the last time there was a price increase on the basic model ProVari?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Without a sensor you could simply enter the coil gauge and number of coils. The device would detect the resistance and come up with the coil surface area on its own. From there it would be a calculation based on wattage being spread out over the surface area, resulting in an estimated heat range. You could have presets for your builds. Select your 28ga, 1.5ohm single coil preset and choose the temperature range for the type of juice you will be vaping. After all, wattage doesn't create vapor, but heat does.

There are far too many variables which come into play when vaping to allow the accurate estimation of temperature. The chip would have to take into account wire gauge, power, wick saturation, airflow, coil separation, time between draws, length of draw etc etc.

I am with twizted in thinking that there would need to be a sensor inside the atomizer for this kind of thing to work effectively.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
There are far too many variables which come into play when vaping to allow the accurate estimation of temperature. The chip would have to take into account wire gauge, power, wick saturation, airflow, coil separation, time between draws, length of draw etc etc.

I am with twizted in thinking that there would need to be a sensor inside the atomizer for this kind of thing to work effectively.

Yeah makes sense. In that case it sounds like perhaps an IR senor and onboard CPU might do an OK job. It just sounds problematic no matter what. Also, those sensors would have to be in the atty. How could you even detect real time temp from the mod? It would have to be a calculation based estimate.

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
Just putting this out there...

Those of us that use mods are really a small percentage of e-cig users. It seems to me, that the eGo batts seem to have a larger market share.

Could ProVari possibly corner the eGo market with a smaller form factor containing all the ProVari innovations? I know I would jump on that like crazy ;)

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Just putting this out there...

Those of us that use mods are really a small percentage of e-cig users. It seems to me, that the eGo batts seem to have a larger market share.

Could ProVari possibly corner the eGo market with a smaller form factor containing all the ProVari innovations? I know I would jump on that like crazy ;)

Not at the price range I heard..

Apparently P3 is more expensive than V2.5...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread