FDA Why was the year 2007 picked in the proposed FDA regulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
IIRC, it was the date that the tobacco control act bill was first was introduced in Congress.
That's what I was thinking too, but that's not it...

Legislative history

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
That's what I was thinking too, but that's not it...

Legislative history

I believe it was first introduced 2/15/07.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/s625/text

J.R.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Maybe it's because in 2007, e-cigs were not good quality, not like the choices that we have today. They were pre-filled carts, on cigalike batteries, no flavors, except "tobacco".

That alone, should kill the demand for e-cigs and I have no doubt that is what the FDA is hoping will happen.

As far as I know, there were no ecigs being marketed in the USA before 2/15/07. That means all ecigs will have to go through the very costly new product registration process.

J.R.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
On a related note:

What does everyone think the likelihood is of the grandfather date actually being moved forward to account for changes in regulation?

It would have to be by Congress (they'd have to amend the act) and under the current situation in the Senate - I'd say it had 0% of being changed unless Zeller would see the light - unlikely - to put in his bid to congress for it. Even then, I think it couldn't get through committee.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
On a related note:

What does everyone think the likelihood is of the grandfather date actually being moved forward to account for changes in regulation?

I don’t see that happening unless the FDA is under a lot of pressure from somewhere. Leaving all of the existing ecigs on the market unmolested is the last thing they want.

J.R.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It would have to be by Congress (they'd have to amend the act) and under the current situation in the Senate - I'd say it had 0% of being changed unless Zeller would see the light - unlikely - to put in his bid to congress for it. Even then, I think it couldn't get through committee.

Yeah, our chronically inactive congress isn't going to be very helpful :sleep: seeing as how the deeming regulations are set to go into effect next year it's unlikely that, under any circumstances, congress will vote on it by then...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, our chronically inactive congress isn't going to be very helpful :sleep: seeing as how the deeming regulations are set to go into effect next year it's unlikely that, under any circumstances, congress will vote on it by then...

It's still unclear exactly when the final rule will come down - some predictions are that it won't be for a while. And it could be after the next election, in which case there would be a possibility of a change in one chamber that might allow an amendment before the regulations are put into effect. Of course, it could be amended even after it's put into effect, but many things would have to happen for that to come about, imo.

For one thing, within the '24 month' period, cigarette sales could continue to plummet and ecig sales could skyrocket and the results could show up in some polls that the smoking population could drop to, say 15% or lower, and that it could be attributed to ecigarettes :) .... THEN... there may be some who have opposed ecigarettes but were not part of an ideological group who want no cigarettes OR ecigarettes, where the former group could sway the vote to amendment. Again - not likely - but given those conditions, a probability.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's still unclear exactly when the final rule will come down - some predictions are that it won't be for a while. And it could be after the next election, in which case there would be a possibility of a change in one chamber that might allow an amendment before the regulations are put into effect. Of course, it could be amended even after it's put into effect, but many things would have to happen for that to come about, imo.

For one thing, within the '24 month' period, cigarette sales could continue to plummet and ecig sales could skyrocket and the results could show up in some polls that the smoking population could drop to, say 15% or lower, and that it could be attributed to ecigarettes :) .... THEN... there may be some who have opposed ecigarettes but were not part of an ideological group who want no cigarettes OR ecigarettes, where the former group could sway the vote to amendment. Again - not likely - but given those conditions, a probability.

I got that date from the FDA website saying that the regulations are supposed to go into effect in June of next year... of course, given the way the FDA functions it very well could be pushed far ahead.

I do hope you're right, that it will be put off enough to see cigarette sales drop and e-cigarette sales rise... AND to see reduced death rates from smoking, and numerous physician reports stating that their vaping patients have vastly improved their health, and then the FDA will see the error of their ways :D that would sure be swell! :D This does give me hope :)

Or perhaps, we will have a more effective congress in 2016 who puts the needs of the people before that of their pocketbooks and votes on legislation for the greater good of all... wait, scratch that, it will never happen! :laugh:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Or perhaps, we will have a more effective congress in 2016 who puts the needs of the people before that of their pocketbooks and votes on legislation for the greater good of all... wait, scratch that, it will never happen! :laugh:

Actually it (greater good) is what is being used to justify the attack on ecigs. Listen to Zeller (and Harkin and Rockefeller et. al.) - for him it is the greater number of smokers who he thinks want to quit that justifies the deeming. If we had a congress that would uphold the rights of individuals to be free to do what they want so long as no one is harmed, we'd be good. But that is what might never happen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread