The final countdown to August 8th - your FDA comments NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Dear ECF members and visitors,

On August 8th the FDA will close the comments on its proposed deeming regulation.

This regulation will profoundly affect the future of the industry, and as it currently stands, this means 99% of available products are likely to be removed from the market.

So far, not nearly enough vapers have submitted their testimonies to the FDA, and it is essential that all who wish to see vaping remain a viable alternative for smokers.

That means you.

It needn't take long to comment, and I've put a guide on vaping.com, based on CASAA's latest call to action.

Please spend a few minutes composing your own comment. And remember, this really is your final opportunity to have your voice heard before the rule is made. Your comment is important as, by law, it has to be considered as part of the rule-making process.

Many thanks,

Oliver (SJ)

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
As of July 28, there were 50,890 comments received by FDA on the deeming proposal. Out of these 50,890 comments posted to the FDA docket, 45,313 are about cigars, and I can only find a little over 3,000 that have anything to do with ecigs. The rest are probably comments with attachments, that do not mention search terms in the main comment box. With some prior data I collected thru some random sampling, I found that the ecig related comments come in about a 5-2 ANTZ to pro-vaping ratio. This means there are only around 1,200 comments in support of vaping 8-o (2,230 under the best assumptions). In any case, if there are a few million vapers in the US, their complacency is very disconcerting.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I found that the ecig related comments come in about a 5-2 ANTZ to pro-vaping ratio. This means there are only around 1,200 comments in support of vaping 8-o (2,230 under the best assumptions). In any case, if there are a few million vapers in the US, their complacency is very disconcerting.

Geezus H. Krist. 8-o 11 of these comments are mine (10 representing others).

I just came from the new member's forum. I'm guessing there are 500 folks over there blissfully carrying on about how their newfound discovery of vaping has impacted their lives (as it has with all of us). I suspect most are still clueless about all this.

That said, why isn't this a sticky "over there" like the sticky for EFVI (European Free Vaping Initiative). I think in this home stretch we need every comment we can dredge up. Perhaps ECF can waive the 5 post requirement for new members if they provide their FDA comment "receipt". An administrative hassle probably but you get the idea.

Edit: Never mind! I just found "this" thread in the New Member's forum. :D

Last edited:

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I would like to add that you can attach documents to the FDA comments - Given how the FDA is always saying "we just don't know anything about e-cigarettes" NOW is an excellent time to inform them! I urge everyone to download a pdf of a study on e-cigs that you feel strongly about and submit a comment with that attached :D you can simply write "please see the attached study" in the comment window if you want the study to speak for itself :)

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Done. I have copy and pasted the comment I submitted. This may help someone get an idea of what they can share. This came in at 4959 characters. :)

-------------------------------------------

To those looking to regulate electronic cigarettes,

Despite the known risks associated with smoking cigarettes, I smoked a pack a day for almost 20 years. Throughout that time I tried numerous times to quit using every FDA-approved product available - patches, gum, pills - and nothing worked. These products were not only prohibitively expensive, but also ineffective at curbing my desire for cigarettes.

About two years ago my smoking habit began to take a serious toll on not only my health, but my quality of life. I had trouble breathing after light physical activity. I was unable to play with my infant son or climb a flight of stairs without feeling winded. I developed sleep apnea and found myself unable to get a restful night’s sleep. My wife began sleeping on the couch because of my snoring. I found it difficult to enjoy life outdoors with friends and family because I would feel physically exhausted after walking short distances. I became depressed because, despite my efforts to quit smoking, I felt trapped by cigarettes.

Around that time a colleague of mine suggested I try “vaping” - using an electronic cigarette. He had smoked for several years and had trouble quitting as well, but he was finally able to kick the habit through vaping. I was skeptical at first, but being miserable in my own body and the fact that I’d already tried everything else pushed me toward taking his advice. I purchased a Blu e-cig starter pack and used it for several days, however it did not fulfill my needs - I still had horrible cravings for a “real” cigarette. I went back to my co-worker and shared my concerns / complaints about the product I’d purchased, and he agreed that Blu (and other “cig-a-like”) products were the bottom of the barrel when it came to e-cigarettes. Per his recommendation, I purchased a more advanced, refillable device and my own nicotine fluid (e-liquid).

Since the day I received the new device, I have not smoked a single cigarette. That was almost 18 months ago. After all of my trials and tribulations trying to quit smoking through the use of FDA-approved products I was able to instantaneously stop myself from using combustible tobacco with the help of these products. Since then the changes in my body have been nothing short of miraculous. I no longer experience shortness of breath after physical activity. In fact, I have begun a workout routine that has helped me to lose a substantial amount of weight. I can play with my son like a Father should. My sleep apnea has disappeared, as has my snoring. My wife is back in the bed and happier than ever with my physical fitness. Overall, my quality of life has increased tenfold simply because I began vaporizing organic, flavored e-liquid instead of inhaling poisonous tobacco smoke.

Not only have the products changed my physical health, but my loved ones no longer have to deal with hazardous second hand smoke when they’re around me. My clothes, breath, and fingers no longer smell. My teeth have whitened considerably. And, perhaps above all, I actually enjoy using the products far more than I did using traditional tobacco. The ability to switch from one flavor to another quickly and easily keeps things interesting - and me off cigarettes.

If the proposed changes go into effect as-is, the vast majority of effective e-cigarette products will removed from the market and thousands of small businesses across the country will be shut down. As a consumer of these products - and a primary stakeholder in their continued, legal availability - I consider the proposed regulations to be completely inappropriate in their current form. For the FDA to blindly consider banning products that have the potential to save millions of American lives is not only wrong, it is irresponsible.

If FDA regulations go into effect unchanged it will create a black market for quality e-cig products, and force many law-abiding American citizens - myself included - to break the law in order to continue using these potentially life saving products. If these products are going to be regulated for the benefit of the American public, the regulations need to be based on hard evidence founded in factual science - not hearsay and the desires of Big Tobacco. The proposed regulations will offer little benefit, and may have catastrophic consequences for a growing industry that employs tens of thousands of American people. I strongly encourage the FDA to perform adequate research on e-cigarettes before making an uninformed decision that will negatively impact the health and wellbeing of these Americans.

Please make the appropriate changes to the proposal. If you need additional information about the safety of these products, you can find many useful studies at the link I’ve provided below.

http://onvaping.com/the-ultimate-list-of-studies-on-e-cigarettes-and-their-safety/

Thank you for taking the time to read my comment.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
~Accomplished last week~
Following CASAA's calls to action, helped me prepare for the final one.
Hopefully there are thousands more coming in :nun:

I hope so too. Reading the comments to the last call to action was disheartening to say the least. People were blowing it off as it was "too complicated..." I know CASAA will be sending out another call to action from what they said and that will be less complicated so hopefully the numbers will rise.

Also, CASAA recommended submitting your reply as an attachment since the reply box has a character limit so that may be messing with the numbers some...I sent mine in last week.

Come on people!! *cheers on everyone else*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread