colour changing liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Colour changing is totally normal. A large number of my liquids go from clear/slightly tinted to a medium brown or orange over time. I store all my mixes in cool, dark place and it still happens.

As a matter of fact once my Vanilla Custard mix turns a light orange colour, I know that it has set enough to be an awesome vape.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
Yep, normal.

I have a variety of changed liquid. pink, brown, greenish-brown, yellow, red, and amazingly a coconut mix that stayed clear for the two weeks it has existed.

My peanut butter flavoring is a different brand than yours and it's an orangish-red color. Makes me thing of Peter Pan peanut butter everytime I think of it :)

Everything I add vanilla to, starts off clear, by the next day it's slighty tinted pink, then to a brighter pink, then orange, and finally a light brownish color about a week later.

7thCabal

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
808state
Hi,
I made a 3ml bottle of capellas peanut butter about a month ago, and it's turned orange in colour. Is this normal? YES :thumbs:Should I vape it? YES:thumbs: Has anyone else have their diy liquid change colour? YES:thumbs:

Don't be alarmed by the color, as long as you didn't ADD the coloring-- go by the taste of the vape, that's the true test

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Yes it is, Certain components in flavouring will react with nicotine over time.

I think this statement is close but not completely accurate. Reactions with nicotine would be a concern, since now we are vaping different compounds, which we know nothing about. Of course, not wanting something to happen does not preclude it from happening, but I think the only reaction here is nic with O2 to form N-oxides, which are colored. These oxides can, however, pair up with flavor compounds, since N-oxides have charged atoms. This pairing up does not at all mean they react, but the colors of such charges compounds are strongly associated with their environment, including any flavors that pair up with them. I've seen this pink coloration happen with all my vanilla-based e-juices (Fr. Vanilla, Bavarian Creme, etc) so I am guessing the vanalins are pairing with the N-oxides. I've even seen it with unflavored 8 mg juice, which tells me the N-oxides are pairing with each other.

The point is I don't think there are any further reactions, or I hope not anyway, but color turning is not something to worry about. Color turning with the creation of foul taste/smell, however, is of concern, as this means your flavor has decomposed, that is reacted to fall apart into smaller compounds that stink...fruit esters will do this after a while, as in months. Bad tastes or smells mean toss them...they will not get better, and you cannot mask the bad smell/taste.

We cannot stop nic from forming oxides with O2, and it takes only trace amounts to color a juice. The oxides are harmless, but can form strong friendships with other compounds present, and this will can their color. Much like a couple that marries will not become conjoined people, but the relationship can make for some colorful interactions! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread