New study says vaping at high volts causes formaldehyde, size of particles in pv is more dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
In certain sections of this board you will see a yellow banner warning about the risks of using higher powers. I strongly feel that the dry-hit taste will be discernible before any damaging level of contamination is reached, but that's just my gut feeling. As Dr Farselinos says, the study has not been done.

The particle size has also been attacked.

Firstly, it appears to be wrong: Electronic cigarette aerosol particle size dis... [Inhal Toxicol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Secondly, there is a big difference between the solid particles in cigarette smoke, which can remain in the lungs, and the liquid particles in e-cig vapour which are entirely or almost entirely broken down by the body.

See: Defending proper science and evidence: our second letter to the WHO, exposing mis-presentation of evidence in the Glantz letter at 4

"Reference is also made to ‘ultrafine particles’ as though it is particle size that governs risk to health. In fact the lowest size particles are water vapor, which carries no health risk. What matters most is the chemical composition of the particulate matter – and this differs completely between tobacco smoke and e-cigarette vapor."

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
iflscience.
com/health-and-medicine/studies-reveal-health-risks-e-cigarettes

What's your take on this? It's giving me second thoughts about using a pv long-term, but I'm sure they're still much safer than cigarettes.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk

The study in question is very much not new. Since its publication in May it has been making the rounds through almost every news article that wants to show dangers of e-cigarettes. I've been discussing this article in another thread under Media earlier today, as it made me very upset...

Here is a link to an older thread, where the formaldehyde study was talked about in a time magazine article:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...gs-still-produce-carcinogens-study-shows.html
The last two pages (6 and 7) of this thread explain very clearly what's wrong with this study and the way the results were presented (I had jumped in to defend the study, only to concede my position later when other vapers gave me evidence to discount it...).

As for the other study they cited, here's a little bit about what it says:
The particles are of comparable size to those contained in cigarette smoke, and as many as 40 percent of them reach the deepest part of the lungs when inhaled, said Jonathan Thornburg, lead investigator and a senior research engineer at RTI International, a North Carolina research institute.

That means if the particles turn out to be harmful, they'll be causing damage throughout the lungs.

Notice the giant "IF" in this statement? They're not saying they proved the vapor to be harmful at all, just that it potentially could be.

This study also does not hold water.

At the end of the day, IFLS presented two studies that don't actually prove that e-cigarettes are dangerous at all, only that they could, maybe, potentially, possibly... be dangerous. So don't worry :)

I was very disappointed in IFLS for this. They've jumped on the bandwagon of spreading lies to get likes. It's bothersome. :closedeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
to be fair, formaldehyde is present in a large number of things that we ingest all the time. Anyone here know the difference between the numbers they're putting out as being possibly created by vapor in comparison to what we might take in naturally all the time? (i know inhaling is different than ingestion, but still..)

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Bloog Viquid FAQ

I buy this stuff from time to time. I know it does not ensure safety but its a step in the right direction.

It says (A Certificate of Analysis, or COA is issued for each batch of liquids produced.The key piece of information on the Certificate of Analysis is the list of ingredients.)
They claim to make safe juices and put *mint* in one of them lol good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread