Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I am sure this question has been asked...but in the past hour I have been searching, I cannot seem to find what I am looking for. So I apologize if this is a repeat!
I have never attempted to rebuild a coil before. I have a tank that isn't very popular that I got from my local shop. It is called smok PBCV2. It uses the Kanger Protank coils. I go through a 5 pack in about 5-6 days. And it SUCKS. After about a day of use it starts getting a disgusting burnt taste. I am just sick of having to go to the store every few days and dish out another $12. So I figure I may as well try to rebuild the coils myself. Only issue: I have NO idea how to do it or where to start :confused: I need to know what I should buy, and also how to do it! I use a Joyetech passthrough and 2.2-2.4 ohm coils. I am not very good at fixing/making things. And I don't know all the terms and such used for any of this. So if you do have some words of wisdom for me...please talk to me like I have no idea what any of it means lol. Anyways, could really use some help! Thanks in advance <3 Jules

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Welcome to ecf julesb. So glad you are here but sorry you are having some problems with the coils. It looks like they should be lasting longer than they are to me. And yes you can build a coil. I am proof of that. :D There are so many great YouTube Videos on rebuilding that seem to help me the most. There are several ways for you to save some money rebuilding. Fasttech sales pre made coils/wicks that I have used and have been very pleased with them. The only thing is it can take some time to get to you. I am talking 2 weeks to 3 months. To save money it really doesn't bother me. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1593904

You can also order Kanthal and silica and wrap your own which is not hard to do either. When I was building ProTanks and evod's I used 32 gauge Kanthal which I got from here and thought it was a good price and very fast shipping. Lightning Vapes - Florida - All the RBA Materials you need! Silica Wick, Ekowool, Kanthal Wire, and more!

I know that it can be a little overwhelming at first but believe me.....after you get the supplies and do the first couple it gets a lot easier.

You may have other questions and don't hesitate to ask. There are always some wonderful people around here that love to help any way they can. I think that is what is so wonderful about ecf.

Good luck to you and hurry up and start saving that money. You can buy more juice (DIY is easy too:) and save a bunch). If you are buying juice here is a thread where you can find some really good deals. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/418767-deals-steals-202.html

Sorry, I don't mean to throw so much at you at one time. If you have any question feel free to pm me. I won't have all the answers but I know who to ask. ;)

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
Step 1 : Go to CVS to get "Sterile Cotton Balls" (not a regular ones!) in "First aid" section. You have a perfect wick now.
Step 2 : Take apart all used coil heads you have,remove coils and soak them in the water for a few minutes.
Step 3 : Remove dirty wick/gunk from the coil, wash it and gently straiten it up.
Step 4 : Take 1/16" drill beat or alien key and make a new coil (5-6 loops).
Step 5 : Roll some cotton and tread it through the new coil.
Step 6 : Put everything back together.
Done.

Attention! Kanger Duo has a led in it (they welded shorter coil to a main one). Use only a bigger one.

Last edited:

sashim80

Ultra Member
Jun 18, 2014
Gainesville, Florida,USA
I think rebuilding your coils will be great but have you tried cleaning the ones you have? I use vinigar but you can also use vodka or just plain water. Just soak for a bit let dry. Then do a dry burn where you just put the coil on the battery without the top tank peice. Pulse for 2-3 seconds at a time until gunk burns off. Then soak or rinse again. There are lots of instructions/videos on how to do it. Just Google dry burn! VERY simple and you can do it over and over and over again. I haven't lost a coil yet been vaping 7 weeks rotating thru 4 coils! Goodluck!

1. Soak for 15 min to overnight. Whatever you prefer

2 let air dry

3 do a dry burn

4 soak again to get rid of any ash or burn taste from doing the dry burn

5 good to go. Repeat whenever you want to keep coil in good condition!

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Take the protank head with you to the hardware store and find either a allen key or drill bit that fits into the slots of the head. 5 wraps of 32 gauge should land you @ 1.8 ohms and 6 wraps will put you @ 2.0 ohm. I use a bead threader to put my wicking into the coil, one of the harder parts of rebuilding is knowing how much cotton to put into the build, it should be able to slide back and forth with very little resistance.
A quick rebuild, you dryburn the spent protank head, remove the stock silica wick, dryburn the naked coil clean of all crusties. Pull the swab off a Qtip, stretch the fibers some and remove about 1/3 of the cotton and twist the remaining 2/3 into a point and insert into the naked coil, you then trim with nail clippers. Same with this is you just want the wick to slide back and forth with little resistance. Put it back together(your probably not going to need a flavor wick), prime and have a vape, but be sitting down cause your going to have to wait for your eyes to unroll out of the back of your head. That was my first rebuild over a year ago and I haven't used a stock head since. :)

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
I have never attempted to rebuild a coil before. Only issue: I have NO idea how to do it or where to start :confused: I need to know what I should buy, and also how to do it!

I'm so glad you started this thread. I am also about to venture into coil building and wanted some advice. After watching a couple of You Tube tutorials I was amazed at how simple the process is. I've never been one to tinker, but I really think I can do this!

My main question is, is it really important to use "sterile" cotton? I couldn't find any at CVS (looked in the first aid section, all they had were sterile gauze) I found cotton in the make-up section, but non of it said sterile. I'm just wondering, after smoking cancer sticks for 28 years, does it really matter if that tiny bit of cotton in my coil is not sterile?

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
I'm so glad you started this thread. I am also about to venture into coil building and wanted some advice. After watching a couple of You Tube tutorials I was amazed at how simple the process is. I've never been one to tinker, but I really think I can do this!

My main question is, is it really important to use "sterile" cotton? I couldn't find any at CVS (looked in the first aid section, all they had were sterile gauze) I found cotton in the make-up section, but non of it said sterile. I'm just wondering, after smoking cancer sticks for 28 years, does it really matter if that tiny bit of cotton in my coil is not sterile?
This is a CVS brand medical grade latex-free cotton balls made from a fine cotton fiber. Cost $3.19 for a box of 130. The cotton fiber is ready for use right out of the box. Grate absorption and no burning/chemical taste/smell. Very easy to handle to make wicks and coil well wraps.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Heck, I don't boil my cotton yarn that I use for flavor wicks, didn't boil my cotton for wicks in KayFuns, and don't boil my cellucotton for the same.

I never boiled my cigs, either, and none of those packages ever said "sterile."

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I ended up ordering this 50 pack of premade coils. I also bought a thing of 3 ft wick. It had free shipping, but it said it could take a month or longer for it to get here. So I paid $1.99 for expedited shipping. It arrived in 5 days. My total was less than $6. It should make a good 40 coils (this is minus the few that I screw up on lol). The local store I usually buy my coils from sells a 5 pk for $10. And I go through a pack a week. So I saved myself a good $90! I am really pleased with these coils too. It makes rebuilding SO simple. I just watched a video (the one I posted as a reply earlier on this thread) and followed all the steps minus wrapping the wick with the coils. I highly recommend to anyone who is just starting to rebuild to get this 50 pack like I did =) It's been a life saver. So to the person who recommended them to me, thank you!! And here is the link f anyone else is curious! http://www.fasttech.com/products/1593904

Last edited:

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
I ended up ordering this 50 pack of premade coils. I also bought a thing of 3 ft wick. It had free shipping, but it said it could take a month or longer for it to get here. So I paid $1.99 for expedited shipping. It arrived in 5 days. My total was less than $6. It should make a good 40 coils (this is minus the few that I screw up on lol). The local store I usually buy my coils from sells a 5 pk for $10. And I go through a pack a week. So I saved myself a good $90! I am really pleased with these coils too. It makes rebuilding SO simple. I just watched a video (the one I posted as a reply earlier on this thread) and followed all the steps minus wrapping the wick with the coils. I highly recommend to anyone who is just starting to rebuild to get this 50 pack like I did =) It's been a life saver. So to the person who recommended them to me, thank you!! And here is the link f anyone else is curious! $3.87 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires w/ Wicks - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 32 AWG / 1.5ohm / 4-wick at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

That is awesome, I didn't even know they were sold that way! Gonna get me some of those for sure!

I see they come in 1 or 4 wrapped wicks. The evods I use now look like there is only one wick wrapped in wire. Is there any advantage to the 4 wick wraps? Would that even fit in the evod head?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread