Howto build a mechanical box mod (VIDEO TUTORIAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselessmidget

May 8, 2014
Illinois
Nice job but that's not a mechanical box mod, it's a switch box mod. There's nothing mechanical about it.

I think it could be argued that the switch is just as mechanical as a tube mod. It takes physical force to connect 2 contacts & each component is connected via wire instead of passing through the mod.
Never heard of anyone referring to them as that but thanks.

Wiccan85

Verified Member
Nice job but that's not a mechanical box mod, it's a switch box mod. There's nothing mechanical about it.

A mechanical weather its a box or tube is the absence of any electrical board or limiter. So if you put a kick in a tube mech you basically remove the mechanical aspect.

Wiccan85

Verified Member
The definition of mechanical is no wires. A Reo is mechanical.

A mechanical switch is the same regardless of wires. Once you add a chip that alters the power in someway you switch over from mechanical. As long as there are no chips to fry its mechanical wires don't mean jack. the wires are only taking place of the metal tube for the electrical flow.

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
A mechanical switch is the same regardless of wires. Once you add a chip that alters the power in someway you switch over from mechanical. As long as there are no chips to fry its mechanical wires don't mean jack. the wires are only taking place of the metal tube for the electrical flow.

Not trying to be snide or anything but I think if you go to the modding part of the forum and ask the same question(What is the definition of a mechanical mod) You will get a different answer. By all means I could be wrong. I am not a modding expert. I have but a few mods including a BF box mod. I am 95% sure mechanical= no wires.

Reactions: frjaldomr

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
A mechanical weather its a box or tube is the absence of any electrical board or limiter. So if you put a kick in a tube mech you basically remove the mechanical aspect.

The switch and the wires are the limiter in my opinion.

Wiccan85

Verified Member
What's the amp rating on the switch and what kind of battery are you using?

Not sure on the amp of the switch would have to ask uselessmidget. I am using a sony vtc5 battery. I use a trident dripper and it hits harder on the box mod compared to my natural mech.

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Not sure on the amp of the switch would have to ask uselessmidget. I am using a sony vtc5 battery. I use a trident dripper and it hits harder on the box mod compared to my natural mech.

Oh ok, so your the one he built that mod for, nice. But let's think about this, he installed a 10 amp switch in your mod and your using a sony VTC 5 30 amp battery which is putting out everything it can when you hit that switch. Now, picture in your mind what will happen when that 10 amp switch fails and 30 amps is being pushed thru it. When that happens, the switch is either gonna lock in the off postion which will cause a dead short or it's gonna lock in the on postion and dmg will occur and possibly battery failure which will explode. the wiring is gonna melt cause he used 14 gauge stranded wire and the only way to stop it is to take the battery out all because he used a 10 amp switch. It might not fail today or even in a week but eventually it will fail on you. When building a mod especially a switch mech mod as I call it, safety is the utmost importance and in my opinion, that box he built is not safe. And the interesting part is, in the video he recommends a 35 amp switch which is what he should have used and I would have used 14 awg solid copper wire.

Last edited:

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
I was not discrediting the box mod. I think he did a very nice job on it from what I could see. I was just saying it was not a mech because of the wires. Its a great feeling when you get a nice vape on a home made mod.

I agree however the hardware he used is not safe in my opinion.

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
Oh ok, so your the one he built that mod for, nice. But let's think about this, he installed a 10 amp switch in your mod and your using a sony VTC 5 30 amp battery which is putting out everything it can when you hit that switch. Now, picture in your mind what will happen when that 10 amp switch fails and 30 amps is being pushed thru it. When that happens, your box is gonna melt cause it's plastic, the wiring is gonna melt cause he used 14 gauge stranded wire and the only way to stop it is to take the battery out all because he used a 10 amp switch. It might not fail today or even in a week but eventually it will fail on you. When building a mod especially a switch mech mod as I call it, safety is the utmost importance and in my opinion, that box he built is not safe. And the interesting part is, in the video he recommends a 35 amp switch which is what he should have used and I would have used 14 awg solid copper wire.

I have to correct you on one part. He used a hammond aluminium box and I think he said he drilled a vent hole in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread