dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Home made Bread - makes 3 Loaves or 12 Large Dinner Rolls

6 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter or 1/3 cup Olive oil
3 tbsp yeast
2.5 cups water

Heat 1 cup water to 100F (37.5C) and stir in 1/2 cup flour and the yeast into it. Let it sit for around 10 - 15 minutes for the yeast to get activated.

In a large mixing bowl add the flour, butter (or oil) & salt and stir all the ingredients together. Once the yeast mixture has risen, add it to the flour mixture and add water while kneading the dough. Knead for around 10 minutes.

I usually aim for a dough mix that is dry enough not to stick to the sides of the bowl, yes is wet enough that it is soft and pliable.

At this point, leave the dough ball in the mixing bowl and cover it with a damp cloth or with plastic wrap. Let it rise until it doubles in size (about 45mins).

Take the risen dough out of the bowl and onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 equal parts, shape them into rough loaf shape and put them into 3 baking pans. Let it rise again for around 30 mins or until it has reached just past the top edge of the pan.

Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C), and put the bread pans into it. The loaves will rise even more once the heat from the oven hits them. This is normal. Reduce oven temperature to 375F (180C) after 10 minutes and then let bake for another 15 - 20 mins. Total baking time around 25 - 30 mins, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.

Remove from oven when golden brown, and place on cooling rack. Resist the temptation to cut into hot bread. :)

i-7fSBkr2-L.jpg

This recipe can also be used to make yummy Dinner Rolls by using 1.5 - 2 tbsp of yeast instead of the 3 used for loaves. All other ingredients stay the same. Shape the dough into 12 rolls after the first rising, and then proof again as per the recipe up top.

i-ZxDqxBZ-L.jpg

Last edited:

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Disclaimer: I have only eaten this, not made it. It is wonderful though!

From Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Chocolate Bread

Makes two 1 1/2 -pound loaves. The recipe is easily doubled or halved.

4 ounces premium bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (or 2 packets)
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup honey
5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup premium unsweetened cocoa powder
5 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
butter or neutral-tasting oil for greasing the cookie sheet
Making the ganache: Melt the 4-ounces of chocolate and athe butter in a double-bouler or microwave until chocolate is melted. Blend together and set aside.

Mix the yeast, salt, eggs, and honey with the water in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded food container.

Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, ganache, and the 5 ounces of chocolate without kneading, using a spoon, a 14-cup capacity food processor (with dough attachment), or a heavy-duty stand mixer (with dough hook). If you’re not using a machine, you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of flour.

Cover (not airtight), and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.

The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days. Beyond 5 days, freeze the dough in 1-pound portions in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. When using frozen dough, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using, then allow the usual rest and rise time.

On baking day, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Dust the surface of hte refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1 1/2 pound (canteloupe-size) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and quickly shpe it into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.

Allow the ball the rest and rise on the prepared cookie sheet for 1 hour and 40 minutes (or just 40 minutes if you’re using fresh, unrefrigerated dough). Paint with egg wash

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Place the bread in the center of the oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in baking time.

Remove from pan. Allow to cool before slicing or eating.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I've been re-connecting with my Goan roots, and cooking up a storm of traditional Goan foods. Here's some of the recent recipes for those adventurous enough to try them.

Warning: NOT for the faint of heart!

Retic/BK.. I fully expect you two to try these. Chak, you too..

Pork Balchao: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbceF9Ma3pCZ0FXakU/edit?usp=sharing

Pork Vindalho: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcMl9TeTk4ajJwVFk/edit?usp=sharing

Beef Chilli Fry: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcdE1xdF9tWWJpQUU/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I've been re-connecting with my Goan roots, and cooking up a storm of traditional Goan foods. Here's some of the recent recipes for those adventurous enough to try them.

Warning: NOT for the faint of heart!

Retic/BK.. I fully expect you two to try these. Chak, you too..

Pork Balchao: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbceF9Ma3pCZ0FXakU/edit?usp=sharing

Pork Vindalho: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcMl9TeTk4ajJwVFk/edit?usp=sharing

Beef Chilli Fry: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcdE1xdF9tWWJpQUU/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

Thank you for these, Dusty! I have downloaded and can't wait to try them. Mmmmmm....

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Jägermeister Chinese chicken and Jäger fried rice
Cooking with Jägermeister feat. Charlie Simpson

I can't wait to try this one out.

INGREDIENTS
8 Chicken Drumsticks & 8 Chicken Thighs
MARINADE:

75ml Groundnut Oil

Two thumb sized pieces of ginger

6 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped

75ml Light Soy Sauce

75ml Clear Honey

4 Tsp Five Spice*

8 Shots Jägermeister

*(a blend of powered spices, typically, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, star anise, and peppercorns)

Blend together all the marinade ingredients using a hand blender or food processor. Using about a third of the liquid pour over the chicken in a dish or roasting tin and massage into the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight in the fridge. The chicken must be covered and refrigerated.

Put the marinated chicken into a roasting tin and into preheated oven at 180°C / 160°C fan assisted or Gas Mark 5. Roast for 30 mins.

MEANWHILE PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE FRIED RICE

1 finely diced medium white onion

3 spring onions

2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)

1 cm diced carrot

1 cup frozen peas

4 medium free range eggs lightly beaten

140 ml (4 shots) Jägermeister

50 ml Sesame Oil

50ml Light Soy Sauce

400g cooked and cooled long grain white rice

Remove the chicken from the oven and pour over the remaining marinade. Make sure to loosen any chicken from the roasting tin to ensure the marinade flavours all the meat. This should be cooked for a further 10 minutes or until the marinade becomes dark and sticky.

Meanwhile par-cook the carrots in a small pan of boiling water for 3 - 4 minutes until starting to soften. remove from heat and drain. Put 2/3 of the sesame oil into a hot wok and add the white onion and spring onion. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until translucent. At this point add the Jägermeister and soy sauce cook and for a further 2 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and peas and cook until the peas and carrots are fairly soft.

At this point you should push all the ingredients to one side of the wok and add the lightly beaten egg to the other side. Allow to cook until starting to lightly scramble just the egg. When the egg is nice and cooked combine all the ingredients and add the remaining sesame oil. You can also add more Soy sauce to taste if you want.

Place a good spoonful of the rice on the plate and serve a chicken thigh and a drumstick on top. Drizzle over any of the cooking juices from the roasting pan.

Last edited:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Jägermeister Chinese chicken and Jäger fried rice Cooking with Jägermeister feat. Charlie Simpson I can't wait to try this one out. INGREDIENTS 8 Chicken Drumsticks & 8 Chicken Thighs MARINADE: 75ml Groundnut Oil Two thumb sized pieces of ginger 6 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped 75ml Light Soy Sauce 75ml Clear Honey 4 Tsp Five Spice* 8 Shots Jägermeister *(a blend of powered spices, typically, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, star anise, and peppercorns) Blend together all the marinade ingredients using a hand blender or food processor. Using about a third of the liquid pour over the chicken in a dish or roasting tin and massage into the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight in the fridge. The chicken must be covered and refrigerated. Put the marinated chicken into a roasting tin and into preheated oven at 180°C / 160°C fan assisted or Gas Mark 5. Roast for 30 mins. MEANWHILE PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE FRIED RICE 1 finely diced medium white onion 3 spring onions 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped) 1 cm diced carrot 1 cup frozen peas 4 medium free range eggs lightly beaten 140 ml (4 shots) Jägermeister 50 ml Sesame Oil 50ml Light Soy Sauce 400g cooked and cooled long grain white rice Remove the chicken from the oven and pour over the remaining marinade. Make sure to loosen any chicken from the roasting tin to ensure the marinade flavours all the meat. This should be cooked for a further 10 minutes or until the marinade becomes dark and sticky. Meanwhile par-cook the carrots in a small pan of boiling water for 3 - 4 minutes until starting to soften. remove from heat and drain. Put 2/3 of the sesame oil into a hot wok and add the white onion and spring onion. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until translucent. At this point add the Jägermeister and soy sauce cook and for a further 2 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and peas and cook until the peas and carrots are fairly soft. At this point you should push all the ingredients to one side of the wok and add the lightly beaten egg to the other side. Allow to cook until starting to lightly scramble just the egg. When the egg is nice and cooked combine all the ingredients and add the remaining sesame oil. You can also add more Soy sauce to taste if you want. Place a good spoonful of the rice on the plate and serve a chicken thigh and a drumstick on top. Drizzle over any of the cooking juices from the roasting pan.
Sub out Kahlua for the Jager sometime Chak , Kahlua glazed meat just works .

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Pork Sorpotel, that quintessential Pork dish that is part of almost every single Goan gathering, be it a Birthday, Wedding, Christmas or even just a Sunday family gathering.

You have not graduated Goan culinary class until you have made and mastered this classic dish. I’ve loved the process involved in making Sorpotel and even though it’s a long process (@ 4 - 6hrs), the end result is absolutely satisfying to all my senses.

Traditionally, this dish is comprised of Pork and also includes a lot of the internal organs, such as blood, liver, heart and tongue. I don’t bother with most of the internal organs and stick to good fatty pork and liver. Here's my take on the making of this succulent dish.

Click the link for a downloadable recipe in PDF format: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcTGtNYndRVk15UVU/edit?usp=sharing

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama
Pork Sorpotel, that quintessential Pork dish that is part of almost every single Goan gathering, be it a Birthday, Wedding, Christmas or even just a Sunday family gathering.

You have not graduated Goan culinary class until you have made and mastered this classic dish. I’ve loved the process involved in making Sorpotel and even though it’s a long process (@ 4 - 6hrs), the end result is absolutely satisfying to all my senses.

Traditionally, this dish is comprised of Pork and also includes a lot of the internal organs, such as blood, liver, heart and tongue. I don’t bother with most of the internal organs and stick to good fatty pork and liver. Here's my take on the making of this succulent dish.

Click the link for a downloadable recipe in PDF format: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sbe_3-bBbcTGtNYndRVk15UVU/edit?usp=sharing

It's funny how things like this become a culinary delight. I'd imagine that the Goan people were desperate? Poor? Or just very frugal and not able to get meat a lot or just not wanting to waste it. I say this because, if you've ever been down to Louisiana and partook of their delightful side item called Craklin, you'd go, "DANG, this stuff is really good!"

The people were so poor and got the meat so very seldom, or took the left overs from their masters, that they didn't really have a choice but to figure out a way to make the bowels of the pig delectable. I could be wrong on all counts, I've been known to be ignorant about a few things, but reading your recipe up above made me think about Craklins.

My mom used to make blood sausage and head cheese and all that nasty stuff. She told me that this was the reason. Either way, I find it fascinating and will try and eat anything. I just love the back stories that go along with food stuffs. Good thread DMan!

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Retic's N'awlins style BBQ shrimp

1 Tsp of liquid crab boil , Zatarains if possible

1 & 1/2 cups Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce

6oz amber beer ( Reserve the rest for altitude adjustment )

2 Tbsp Tabasco

1 whole pod of garlic peeled and minced

4 Tbsp cracked black pepper

3 bayleaves

1 Tsp cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

1 Tbsp dill leaf

1 Tsp oregano leaf

4 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 &1/2 lbs of softened salted butter

2 lbs of large unpeeled head on shrimp

In a small saucepan saute the garlic in a little butter till it just starts to brown , add all ingredients except shrimp , butter and vegetable oil , bring to a boil reduce heat to a low simmer , simmer for 10 minutes , remove from heat and set aside . In a large skillet add the vegetable oil and heat over high heat till the oil starts to smoke add the shrimp be careful not to overcrowd the pan if necessary do this step in two batches , you want a quick sear and caramelisation on the shrimp , saute until the shrimp starts to turn pink , a minute or two depending on your stove then add the sauce you set aside earlier , bring to a boil , reduce heat to low and stir in the softened butter a litte at a time until it's incorporated , spoon the shrimp into bowls pour the sauce over them and serve with hot crusty bread for sopping up the sauce .

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think I just had a little food orgasm in my mouth.. :drool:
There's another more involved creole version that was an off the menu special at Antoine's that I'll have to post some time . Early in my career I had the luck of working with chefs from Antoine's , Galatoire's and Arnauds , the Grande Dames of creole haute cuisine in New Orleans , some recipes are under a verbal NDA which I still honor but even a written recipe wouldn't do those justice anyway , it's impossible to relate some techniques that way .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread