So You Quit the Stinkers - But are you still hooked on Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
So it's a slightly different question...

I was reading the thread about vaping helping people to quit smoking. That's great of course, but I want to know if you're all still hooked on Nicotine. How much? If not, how long did it take you to get off the nicotine completely?

I ask because vaping has helped me cut way down, but I still crave smokes... and it's probably because I'm using zero-nicotine juice. Reason? Because the cigarettes I smoke are SO light in nicotine, it's impossible to find juice with a low enough amount. I've actually considered buying two bottles of the same flavor, one with nicotine and one without, and mixing them myself to try to get lower nicotine.

I don't want to end up addicted to MORE nicotine.

So what's the deal folks... How much nicotine are you still sucking on?

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Everyone is different and vapor is not the same as smoking. The molecules in nic/smoke/cigs are much smaller so work faster. Vapor takes longer. There are so many other chemicals in cigs you will have withdrawal from those also. I happen to be one of those that believe nic is beneficial to a certain extent. I have cut my nic from 18mg to 10mg and used to smoke marlboro lights.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
I'm down to between 3 and 6 mg in just under 3 months. I'm pretty confident I could start vaping 0mg and not go completely crazy now. I will likely start mixing 3 and 0 for another month and ditch the nic completely. After all that, I'm not sure I will stop vaping any time in the next year though.

I don't have any plan to quit vaping... I am SO addicted to the behavioral habit of smoking, that without this whole e-cigarette thing, I would likely die with a cigarette in my mouth. If I can ditch the nicotine though... well it's just one less harmful substance I'd be putting in my body.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Well, started vape to quit smoking, not to get off nic, but would be easy to do if was me goal. Am down to 12 mg nic juice, was at 36 when first started, but better gear, higher watts, has forced me to drop nic level, or be over nic'd all the time.

Need to customize juice level? DIY juice mixing is the key:D Save money and get exactly the blend you desire:D

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
If you are still smoking because you are only using 0 mg liquids I couldn't say that's a better position to be in than only vaping liquids with nicotine in them.

You probably already know it isn't the nicotine that does your body all the damage - it's the tar and inhaling "burning stuff" that does you in.

Switching to vaping isn't just about replacing nicotine with nicotine either. You are getting a boat load of chemicals from burning processed tobacco that create a complex mix that keep you addicted to smoking, including a vicious cycle of your brain craving the MAOI's (antidepressants) you get from cigarette smoke. Except for a few rare people a "little smoking" is guaranteed to keep you craving smoking.

All I'm saying is you may be missing the point. You are using too little nicotine in your vaping to help you successfully quit smoking. Nicotine is not the big nasty dirty enemy you think it is that's keeping you hooked on cigarettes. Smoking cigarettes is what's keeping you hooked on smoking cigarettes. Quit the cigarettes first with a nic level that helps more, address anything you want to do about lowering your nic intake second.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I've been vaping since June 1 2013. I switched from cigs to e-cigs due to the costs, both monetary and health. My goal was not to quit but to save a buck and reduce my risk of getting cancer from smoking. Only recently have I decreased my nic from 18mg to approx 10mg. This was done due to changing to an RBA.
I mix 18mg and 0mg to make 'approx 10mg'.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
Rick,

No, I'm not missing the point. I readily admit I may need to add some nicotine to my juice to help get off the cigarettes. Point is though, I don't want to add MORE nicotine, nor do I want to indefinitely be hooked on it. I don't want to "need" vaping the way I need smoking... I'm talking the physical addiction part of it.

I think we all are well educated at this point on the dangers of cigarettes, so no point rehashing it. Maybe we could debate the dangers of nicotine, but I'm already pretty firmly in the camp that believes it's not good for us. It's the lesser of evils to just have that and PG/VG juice, but it's still an addictive substance I'd like to be off of eventually.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Have you thought about carrying 2 setups with you, one with 0 nic and one with some nic in it for the bad cravings? That was always going to be part of my end game plan for weening off of nicotine. I started with 18mg almost 2 years ago and have now managed to get down to 6mg just dropping a little at a time. My next step will be 3mg for a while and then after that a 0 nic pv along with a 3mg for a while until I can go totally nic free. I found gradual drops in nicotine were far easier for me to deal with than cold turkey, which never last more than a week for me.

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
I think we all are well educated at this point on the dangers of cigarettes, so no point rehashing it. Maybe we could debate the dangers of nicotine, but I'm already pretty firmly in the camp that believes it's not good for us. It's the lesser of evils to just have that and PG/VG juice, but it's still an addictive substance I'd like to be off of eventually.

Please elaborate if you don't mind. What exactly and specifically are the dangers of nicotine as consumed in eCig vapor? I understand wanting to be "off it eventually".
Thanks!

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
I've done lots of reading and digging into the nicotine aspect of vaping.

There is a whole universe of education to be had, and much of it somewhat surprising, and counter-intuitive.

Not surprisingly, there are people who hang out here in the ECF universe that are very very well versed in the studies and information relating to nicotine, so I'll share some of my links to their work and contributions:

I was 43 years smoking 1-2 packs a day, and was one of the accidental quitters - was looking to satisfy curiosity and hopefully save some money along the way. Found I had quit smoking 10 days after buying my first modest starter kit.

My personal position is that I am comfortable with some level of nicotine intake, and will likely settle into the 12mg range, and see where I go from there.

Lots & lots to learn in our new adventures! :)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I understand those that want to reduce their nicotine intake and / or vaping down to the point where they either vape 0mg or stop vaping altogether.

But for me vaping is not a means to an end, it's a substitute for cigarettes. I would have probably continued to smoke until I died. Now I am not particularly planning on vaping until I die, but I might.

I started at 24mg and am now vaping 18 mostly, 12mg at night. I fully agree that I am still nicotine dependent and I am fine with that at this point in my life. From the massive amount of online research I have read, nicotine does not cause cancer and I am in a far better position today than I was 18 months ago because I do not smoke cigarettes.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Please elaborate if you don't mind. What exactly and specifically are the dangers of nicotine as consumed in eCig vapor?

Addiction is unpleasant condition leading to substantial behavioral peculiarities.
I want to be free of addictions of any type. I want be free. I want to be able to go free of vaping for as long as needed. I still want to enjoy vaping with a morning cap of coffee or at nights with shot (or three) of whisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread