Honolulu ecig and tobacco ban under 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Oahu tobacco, e-cigarette ban for those under 21 proposed - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

A new Honolulu City Council bill would ban people under 21 years old from purchasing tobacco and electronic smoking products on Oahu.
Bill 51, introduced by Councilman Stanley Chang and Council Chairman Ernie Martin Thursday, would take effect Jan. 1, 2015 if approved. Those 18 or older on or before Dec. 31 would be "grandfathered," or exempted, from the ban.

Federal law prohibits purchase of such products by anyone under 18. A Hawaii County under-21 ban on tobacco and electronic smoking products became law July 1.

ANTZ strike again. ugh.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Hawaii.

I love Hawaii as a place to visit.
But does it make sense to move there?

What in the world is happening over there?
I'm just having trouble understanding the political dynamic.

It's like most other cosmopolitan coastal cities, except here there's pretty much only one party but it acts like both parties.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A new Honolulu City Council bill would ban people under 21 years old from purchasing tobacco and electronic smoking products on Oahu.
Wait, how does the Honolulu City Council propose to ban anything outside the city limits? How did they get jurisdiction over the entire island of Oahu?

Federal law prohibits purchase of such products by anyone under 18.
Really? I wasn't aware of any federal law that prohibited the purchase of e-cig products by age. Of course the FDA has proposed regulations that would do this, but that's a regulation, not a law, and it isn't in effect yet.

Chang, in a press release, said tobacco use costs more than $330 million in health care costs annually in Hawaii and is responsible for 1,200 residents each year.

Editors? Proof-readers? Obviously the Star-Advertiser doesn't have any.

Hawaii.
I love Hawaii as a place to visit.
But does it make sense to move there?
My wife and I thought about buying a place there for many years. We finally decided against it and ended up here instead.

I'm just having trouble understanding the political dynamic.
It's like most other cosmopolitan coastal cities, except here there's pretty much only one party but it acts like both parties.
Seems to happen just about everywhere that people end up crowded together like an ant hill or bee colony; they elect control-freaks.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Honolulu Council Bill 51 is getting a first reading today: CITY COUNCIL
http://www4.honolulu.gov/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-151642/081314 Council Agenda.doc

While the state legislature has easy to understand and follow notices, with clear dates for action, the city council lags pretty far behind on that. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly when the key dates are and what needs to be done. I think it's too late to submit testimony for the thing today but there should be other chances. Just not sure when.

I think this is the testimony form:
CCL Testimony Form

Rossum: Honolulu county is the entire island of Oahu, plus the NWHI, other than Midway: Honolulu County, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Honolulu used to be a two-newspaper town until the recession, when the weaker paper raided and killed the stronger paper. The current paper is a slightly scaled-up version of the weaker paper, with no competition.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Rossum: Honolulu county is the entire island of Oahu, plus the NWHI, other than Midway: Honolulu County, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah, I was not aware of the "consolidated" nature of the government.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the 50th state, but have avoided Honolulu except for a couple of quick overnight stays. I favor the other islands -- Honolulu is just to dang crowded for my taste. :D

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Ah, I was not aware of the "consolidated" nature of the government.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the 50th state, but have avoided Honolulu except for a couple of quick overnight stays. I favor the other islands -- Honolulu is just to dang crowded for my taste. :D
I spent a week on the Big Island and it was the best vacation I've ever taken.
What are your thoughts on the Big Island compared to some of the other Hawaiian islands not named Oahu?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I spent a week on the Big Island and it was the best vacation I've ever taken.
What are your thoughts on the Big Island compared to some of the other Hawaiian islands not named Oahu?

I did a three island tour early on and settled on Maui for the best vacation spot. Been there many times. And visited the Big Island and Molokai on some side trips. Much depends on your interests. All have beaches but Maui's are good for swimming and snorkeling - less currents in the water vs. say, Kauai where some really nice beach sites are 'unswimmable'. Kauai is lush - highest rainfall on the planet usually and if you really want to 'get away' and have at least some choices still available (vs. the smaller islands, Lanai/Molokai) - go there. I'm not 'fascinated' with volcanos but they ARE interesting, and they only exist on the Big Island. Lots of golf there, senior golf... Two main cities - Kona and Hilo and they're not close, after all, it's the 'Big Island' ...relative to say Maui's cities or Oahu's, and Kauai is even smaller - if it's raining in the North - Princeville, Honolei, you can go south to Poipu Beach where it isn't raining (usually :).

Oahu, although the most commercial and populated, everyone there is still smiling. lol. Lots of restaurants and you can still get away from it all by going to the North Shore or east or west - just not in Waikiki.

Maui, is less busy than Oahu but second to it. But again, you can get away from that by going to Hana - opposite side of the island than Lahaina (main city there) and Kahalui (airport) or up the mountain to Kula and Makawao. Honolei on Kauai and Paia on Maui can be like walking into the 60's.

http://www.gohawaii.com/statewide/choose-an-island
Not far off on their descriptions..

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The thing I loved about the Big Island is that... well, I loved everything about it!

They have volcanoes, caves, rain forests, TONS of waterfalls, farm lands, and even a desert.
They have black sand beaches, and white sand beaches, and green sand beaches.

All on one "little" island.

They even have high elevation, and a fantastic observatory.

We went to the observatory for a star-gazing event and it was more amazing than I can put into words...
Star Gazing Program - Maunakea Visitor Information Station

They have hot water springs right next to the beach...
Ahalanui Park aka Pu

They have an incredible Farmer's Market in Hilo...
http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com

And don't even get me started on this particular kava bar...
Asanté Gardens ~ Uncle Robert's Kava Bar

It's a little bit freaky, but in a good way... maybe.
:unsure:

And if anyone with any interest in MMA fighting would like to stop by this gym, where you might very well see an MMA star on any given day...
Penn Training & Fitness - The Best Gym in Hilo!

We rented a four-wheel drive vehicle, which allows you to get the best out of the Big Island...
Scenic Drives on the Big Island of Hawai'i - InstantHawaii

EDIT: Sorry to derail the thread
EDIT: But maybe we can consider all this as a bump?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
There's a LOT to like there, I agree. We had some good times on day trips there - didn't see as much as someone staying there and I got a better appreciation of the volcanos - which is what started the whole thing anyway :) Maui's Haleakala (highest peak) is also very nice but not active like some at the Big Island. Visited a Macadamia Nut Farm there as well.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The first time I went to Hawaii was the first time I could legally buy booze because the age limit was 18. May be dating myself here, Good luck with defeating this all.

That IS dating yourself! lol

Good luck, neighbor. We have to deal with Roz Baker here trying for re-election to State Senate. She's big on the whole "e-cigarettes are marketed towards children" thing. :(

Yup, she's Pfizer's/big pharma's puppet in Hawaii. Check her campaign contribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread