"I vape 4 substances instead of 599 in cigs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekasi

Jun 8, 2014
Au
This is almost always a lie.

I would like us, as a community to stop perpetuating this lie.

Unless you are vaping straight VG, you can not make this claim. The flavoring of e-juice most commonly is done by food grade FDA approved flavor essences.

These contain sometimes hundred of chemical substances. All that have been approved for consumption, but not studied in vaporization.

Flavoring is a mystery.

To me, this is why I avoid complex flavors altogether. And also the reason why I would never touch custards since they almost exclusively contain Acetoin or Diacetyl.

Education is key here. We need to understand what we're using before we can make big claims about health. Get educated on flavoring. Understand what it is. Some stuff is pretty rank.

But no, most of us vape hundreds of chemical substances.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Even the CDC says Could and might in relation to Diacetyl. There is no conclusive proof <unless you consider a legal action PROOF> as to whether Diacetyl is a cause or contributor to Lung Disease at the consumer level.

The scientific evidence gathered to date indicates that the problem is not limited to diacetyl. It is likely other chemicals used in the production of flavorings can cause or exacerbate lung disease. OSHA has issued permissible exposure limits (PELs) and/or NIOSH has recommended exposure limits (RELs) for only 46 of the 1,037 flavoring ingredients considered by the flavorings industry to represent potential respiratory hazards.
A Case of Regulatory Failure - Popcorn Workers Lung | Defending Science

If we are going to be open and honest.............Honestly, WE DON"T KNOW!!

Oh, and last count had Chemicals in Cigs at over 9K..............NINE THOUSAND.:D

Last edited:

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
I want to comment on the flavors being approved for consumption and not inhaling. Although this is true.. It makes the think .. plenty of foods that have fruit flavorings have steam this is inhaled. LIke when preparing jello comes to mind. Although not fruit flavors.. what about cup of soups or a steaming pot of cream of tomato from a can?
I could be wrong in thinking this but, if inhaling such things was soo dangerous then wouldn't may cooks have had problems by now?

Sekasi

Jun 8, 2014
Au
going tangent here... but why didnt "we" as smokers worry about all of the stuff that was in ciggies as we worry about the stuff in the juice now??

I don't understand how being completely irresponsible in the past would equate to the same behavior now.

Us ex. smokers did some pretty shocking things to our bodies in the past, it's only normal to me that we would try HARDER to respect our bodies now that we've managed to stay clear of the death sticks right?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I don't understand how being completely irresponsible in the past would equate to the same behavior now.

Us ex. smokers did some pretty shocking things to our bodies in the past, it's only normal to me that we would try HARDER to respect our bodies now that we've managed to stay clear of the death sticks right?

No doubt that getting off the cigarettes is a huge step towards respecting our bodies but total respect would be to quit ecigs and then you have no worries. Continually inhaling something other the clean air has a certain amount of risk.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
Helps if ya got the right saying...it's ingredients
There are 599 Additives...ingredients to your standard Cig.......there are only 4 in your basic ejuice...maybe 15 in a really complex one.
There thousands and Thousand of Chemicals in your standard cig....maybe 20 to 200 in your ejuice.

It's like saying is Sea Salt is one Ingredient(right?) .....but also many different chemicals. Hate to see home many Chemicals where in the homemade chicken soup I made 0o

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
going tangent here... but why didnt "we" as smokers worry about all of the stuff that was in ciggies as we worry about the stuff in the juice now??

Sorry Bunnykiller but I find that whole premise invalid. Just because I smoked does not mean I don't care what I ingest or inhale now.

I did worry about it as a smoker - enough that I quit smoking and started vaping. Now I am vaping, I think it is quite logical to worry what ingredients are in e-liquid and what chemicals I am inhaling.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Pg, vg, nicotine and menthol crystals... I can't be more boring than that... Wait, once or twice a week I vape unflavored... 3 or 4 components max.

Now I really do understand where the Op wants to go and I had the same doubts a few years ago but since it was (and still is) almost impossible to get the ingredients list of a particular flavor, I gave up. I studied as much as I could and in the end, decided to vape menthol exclusively. Why? Because it's one of the most studied flavors - consumed and inhaled. Almost every single drug that is related to the respiratory system, uses menthol. How bad can it be compared to some unknown flavor??

Obviously I know there can be some side-effects from continuous use of menthol but I will take my chances compared to unknown flavor x or flavor y.

My two cents

Tony

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
No doubt that getting off the cigarettes is a huge step towards respecting our bodies but total respect would be to quit ecigs and then you have no worries. Continually inhaling something other the clean air has a certain amount of risk.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "clean air".
In a city / suburban environment, there are all kinds of pollutants that can be smelled on the air.
In the country, there is the dust from farming, the end product of animals eating, various molds, mildews, etc.
Mountain environments have much the same issues.

Please don't say "clean enough" though. Ecigs are "safe enough" and that is what counts.
I vape 4 to 5 ingredients and have never vaped 4 or 5 chemicals. As opposed to hundreds of ingredients and thousands of chemicals in smoking .tobacco.

Stiiinger

Jul 11, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
Everyone needs to find the right balance, with their vaping habbit/hobby, and with all things in life, that works for them.

Some people are happy to live the extreme "healthy" lifestyle of daily workouts, kitchen scales for precise control of nutrient intake, and perhaps to the extreme, lecturing me why bread is evil. Others enjoy copious amounts of burgers,beer, and chips and consider taking out the garbage their weekly workout. Of course, most people fall somewhere in the middle. The b!itch about life is that the burger/beer guy could easily outlive the healthy guy, and would arguably enjoy his time on this rock quite a bit more (I said arguably! everyone finds happiness in their own way, don't flame me!)

I tend to agree with the some of the other replies in this thread, that it's worthwhile to not only gather the data, but also to put it into context by rationally comparing to other stuff. For example, how much chemicals do you think you're exposed to when you walk down the street of a big city breathing polluted/smoggy air? How many pesticides are on the salad you just ate that was only quickly rinsed off (if that)? How many volatile organic compounds are you exposed to in your home due to the plethora of cleaning products under your sync, air fresheners, wearing dry-cleaned clothes, or cosmetics? I could go on for a while, but I'll stop there.

Sure, I worry about how harmful the juice I'm vaping is to my body, but I have no illusions that there aren't many more things which are much more harmful that I'm exposed to on a near daily basis. I'm quite happy knowing I cut out the biggest polluter to my body by switching from cigs to vaping, and I'd wager that the next thing I should do that would have the biggest measurable effect on my health is scrutinizing my diet a little more. Then after that, after I've worked on the next 10 things on my priority list, I may have time to devote more than an occasional thought to my eJuice.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Sorry Bunnykiller but I find that whole premise invalid. Just because I smoked does not mean I don't care what I ingest or inhale now.

I did worry about it as a smoker - enough that I quit smoking and started vaping. Now I am vaping, I think it is quite logical to worry what ingredients are in e-liquid and what chemicals I am inhaling.

ahhh but I said when we smoked we didnt seem to care what was in ciggies, but now, people obsess over the stuff in Ejuice and question every aspect of it. I really dont remember any of the people I associated with who smoke/smoked question what was in a ciggie other than tobacco and menthol and an occasional bug.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
Meh… Honestly, cigarettes were the LEAST damaging substances I used to put in my body. All of that is well in the past now so I consider vaping leaps and bounds in the right direction for me. If all of those “other things” didn’t kill me, I think I’ll be alright vaping. I knew for a fact the other stuff was gonna kill me and yet I still did it for decades. Vapor HAS to be the safest thing I’ve inhaled… ever… so, I’ll take my chances. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread