Lung Damage, Lowered Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
I got bugged by someone for using ecig claiming they will reduce my lung capacity. I have no retort or argument that is solid.

I've already done a search in the forums but can't find anything unique to the topic subject.

And so far what I've find in a google search of "Lung Capacity ecig"

Electronic Cigarettes Can Harm The Lungs - Medical News Today

And so far what I've find in a google Search of "Lung Capacity ecig myth"

https://www.electroniccigarettesrev...tudy-examines-how-e-cigs-impact-lung-function

So as I may try arguing...' OH WELL I FOUND THIS STUDY THAT SAYS OTHER WISE THEREFORE I'M RIGHT" I'd rather refine the opinion here.

The argument I can only think of is only brief and just sucks,

"While you make a valid point, the ecig has been the center piece of controversy considering the sources of these studies. In my opinion I feel that argument is wrong because you have no provided the source of this claim. I believe that most of these studies are done by special interests under the same message of "well we just don't know enough". They tend to have coporate interests and in this case it would be big pharama companies."

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Perhaps you'd have more success if you approached it from the other end and searched for people with COPD, whose symptoms eased or got no worse with vaping, compared to cigarette use?

After all - they are people with reduced lung capacity to begin with.

T

I would be an example of that. My lung capacity greatly improved when I switched to vaping. My breathing tests were fantastic after 6 mos. of vaping, whereas they were pretty bad while smoking. X-rays improved also. My doctor was very happy with me vaping. I was a smoker for 45 years.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
instead of you having to disprove what he said, ask him to prove what he is saying instead, ask for the study oh what he's talking about

else you can always say that by using ecigs, instead of smoking, ppl all get better, health, lung capacity, breathing capacity, taste and so on, the forum is full of stories like that. So this person would actually call them all liars.

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
All I can think of is anecdotal evidence i've read and experienced for myself. And that is that after stopping smoking and continued vaping, we experience much less difficulty breathing in situations that used to be taxing. Such as climbing stairs, hiking, running, swimming etc...

There also is the physical evidence of many as our lungs expelling tar which occurs as the lungs heal.

I don't know if there are studies about people that are in contact with fog machines often as that would be somewhat comparable with what we are inhaling.

In essence we are inhaling steam but it's not water. There are questions and uncertainties about what we are inhaling, but one thing is certain: we know we are not inhaling thousands of chemicals, many that are known carcinogens.

Via a possessed phone thats autocorrect is just silly

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Isn't it a coincidence that pg is found in the inhaler my with COPD use to use before I got her to start vaping. Within a week, I could already tell a difference in her. Her respiratory doctor was quite simply amazed at the improvement in her and reduced medications and she has stopped using the inhalers. This is proof enough for me the benefits of vaping. Thanks for posting the information you have found. Good luck to you and happy vaping.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Isn't it a coincidence that pg is found in the inhaler my with COPD use to use before I got her to start vaping. Within a week, I could already tell a difference in her. Her respiratory doctor was quite simply amazed at the improvement in her and reduced medications and she has stopped using the inhalers. This is proof enough for me the benefits of vaping. Thanks for posting the information you have found. Good luck to you and happy vaping.

There are so many stories just like this, that it would be hard to disprove that lung function gets better.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
There just are no studies that focus on the benefits of E cig use and lung improvement....yet. That said, there will be improvement just from quitting smoking even if not vaping, so to say that vaping has improved lung capacity or function is just conjecture at this point.

In regards to PG being used in an inhaler, it is vaporized in a totally different manner. You will see no vapor upon exhale, at least not of any significant s. The benefit of using an inhaler is not by the use of PG but the medications used, PG is just a "vehicle" to deliver the medication. Also the PG used is only as needed in an inhaler and it is surely more refined PG than your typical PG in a e liquid. If someone used an inhaler as often as an e cig they would most likely overdose from it anyway.

So for now, the only retort that has any footing is the fact that it is an alternative to smoking with NO evidence of harm or benefit either way. There is no proof of harm as of yet and the only proof of benefit is the cessation from not smoking.

So the best retort is simple....smoking does cause problems, e cigs use has no documented proof of harm or benefit. I then would ask " would you rather me smoke a cigarette which does cause lung damage?"

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I got bugged by someone for using ecig claiming they will reduce my lung capacity. I have no retort or argument that is solid.

Why should You be the One who has to Refute that Someone's Claim?

People can Claim Anything they Want. But where I come from, the Person who Brings the Claim must also bring the Proof.

In 2013, I Cycled over 3,500 Miles. And take a Special Pleasure in Trashing people on $5,000 Bikes that are Half my Age. And that is kinda Funny.

Because in 2010, I was to the Point that if I Walked Up 2 Flights of Stairs, I would have to Hide the Fact that I was Out of Breath.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Here you go: The American Council of Science and Health -- "Nicotine and Health"

Nicotine and Health

See page 47.

"Mild mouth and throat irritation and weak dry cough may occur after inhalation, but as in the Sicilian clinical trials described below, respiratory symptoms waned over time. These randomized controlled trials followed participants for six and 12 months, and found no serious adverse events attributable to electronic cigarettes."

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Why should You be the One who has to Refute that Someone's Claim?

People can Claim Anything they Want. But where I come from, the Person who Brings the Claim must also bring the Proof.

In 2013, I Cycled over 3,500 Miles. And take a Special Pleasure in Trashing people on $5,000 Bikes that are Half my Age. And that is kinda Funny.

Because in 2010, I was to the Point that if I Walked Up 2 Flights of Stairs, I would have to Hide the Fact that I was Out of Breath.

Well said!

So you are the guy who passed me in my Porsche, I ran out of gas trying to catch up to you!:lol:

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Reading that most charitably, I wonder how they know. There is no instrument that will see down into the aveoli. "An adult alveolus has an average diameter of 200 micrometres" (Wikipedia).

Yes, there is increased resistance to respiration for a short time following vaping. This article explains why that is not a problem: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/experts-from-university-of-athens-tell.html I think he is responding to the study you have heard about and there are links to it in the article.

Last edited:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Reading that most charitably, I wonder how they know. There is no instrument that will see down into the aveoli. "An adult alveolus has an average diameter of 200 micrometres" (Wikipedia).

Yes, there is increased resistance to respiration for a short time following vaping. This article explains why that is not a problem: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/experts-from-university-of-athens-tell.html I think he is responding to the study you have heard about and there are links to it in the article.

Maybe the same instrument used to take a measurement of the aveoli in the first place...can be used to see if a coating is present.

I'd think a far simpler method would be to have a little visit to the doctor to check for abnormal lung sounds, if you were a long term smoker you've likely had this done once or twice and have some record of your doctor noting your crappy sounding lungs...just a thought.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread